Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

11 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

At the reading I attended when the second book was released he said that the whole trilogy had become about the framing story, and that at the end of the framing story, the real story would be ready to start.  Of course he's zigged and zagged a lot more since then.  I would have video of this but he asked everyone to turn off video cameras because he re-uses jokes and schtick and he doesn't want future readings ruined.  In hindsight, I wish I'd kept rolling.

Interesting, but I suspect I'll never hear the "real story". This isn't some 'write faster' screed, just that for me Rothfuss has now joined my list of authors I don't purchase incomplete stories from. Fairly easy for me to imagine that a post KKC trilogy won't exist/be complete for 20+ years. 

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Gonna give the first book a go on audiobook...good idea...? 

The audio version is very good, Nick Podehl does a really great job with the narration. It's a good idea until you hit the end of book 2 and get sad all over again :P

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2019 at 9:12 AM, KiDisaster said:

The audio version is very good, Nick Podehl does a really great job with the narration. It's a good idea until you hit the end of book 2 and get sad all over again :P

Finished the audio book finally...it's remarkable how I forgot how much you find yourself disliking Kvothe...I mean, it's just rough...and the "romance"? It's the worst aspects of Ross/Rachel or Maddie/David...

So yeah. Guess I'll just listen to the second one...because, why not?

You just had to bump the thread. :lol:

I actually haven't even thought about Rothfuss in many months... That's how little I wonder about book 3 these days.

It truly appears to be the one relatively mainstream fantasy series more dead in the water than the one for which this board is dedicated, given that the author is still alive. And even that caveat isn't holding some series back; stuff is added to Tolkien's work relatively often, and the guy has been dead for 45 years.

33 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Opinions on the work and author aside, anyone who read say, the first 20 pages of Name of the Wind and is expecting a Happy Ending is out of there minds.

I’ve seen speculation that he’s delayed The Doors of Stone because his betas haven’t liked the book.  I wonder it it is because we get the ending many of us anticipate, or because we don’t...

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve seen speculation that he’s delayed The Doors of Stone because his betas haven’t liked the book.  I wonder it it is because we get the ending many of us anticipate, or because we don’t...

Eh, most of the stuff I've seen about the "beta readers" has come from screwballs who try and claim to have insider knowledge when they clearly are just talking out their bum bum.

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Opinions on the work and author aside, anyone who read say, the first 20 pages of Name of the Wind and is expecting a Happy Ending is out of there minds.

Honestly, any ending would do just as long as it's properly done. Or done at all; at this point I'm not really picky.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Agree to an extent, but I also suspect Pat is overselling how tragic it is. He's an overseller.

He went on and on about how Princess and Mr. Whiffle isn't for kids, but my little kids all thought it was hilarious.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Agree to an extent, but I also suspect Pat is overselling how tragic it is. He's an overseller.

He went on and on about how Princess and Mr. Whiffle isn't for kids, but my little kids all thought it was hilarious.

Didn't he write that for his kid?

Archived