Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

When I met Anne in NYC circa 2008, she told me that GRRM had pretty much scrapped everything that he had sent her and basically rewrote ADWD entirely. But final production for big names like Jordan, Martin, and Rothfuss can be done in a matter of weeks given the huge amount of money involved.

Not Sure Betsy Wolheim would be willing to go down that road, what with how she took TWMF off the production line back when Rothfuss started having trouble meeting its deadline. So I figure that we're still looking at a process that will likely last between 8 to 12 months once Rothfuss turns in the manuscript. At this point, everyone at Daw will probably prefer to see it done well rather than see it done fast.

20 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Finally starting to near the end of the second audio book...the guy reading it is amazing, but I'm still trying to remember why these books were popular...

Because Rothfuss (damn him) is a genius at creating puzzles inside an otherwise insipid book. Once you start looking for clues and metareferences, you are lost to him.

Book 3 will never happen and none of the puzzles will be solved.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, brunhilda said:

Because Rothfuss (damn him) is a genius at creating puzzles inside an otherwise insipid book. Once you start looking for clues and metareferences, you are lost to him.

Book 3 will never happen and none of the puzzles will be solved.

I'd argue he's implying puzzles and connections without actually doing a very good job of grounding them or incorporating them into the text.  Hinting at mystery isn't the same as actual mystery.  He hints at it.  

Just now, larrytheimp said:

I'd argue he's implying puzzles and connections without actually doing a very good job of grounding them or incorporating them into the text.  Hinting at mystery isn't the same as actual mystery.  He hints at it.  

cough cough Bakker cough cough

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Everything is the Creation War, and the main storyline mirrors the historic one. I'll spare you my trying to convince you of this and point you to the re-read posts on Tor. If that's not your thing, that's fine. But I find the metastory very well incorporated if you're looking to find it. Even the sex scenes link back to this.

Damn it, here I am defending the damn books.

3 hours ago, brunhilda said:

Everything is the Creation War, and the main storyline mirrors the historic one. I'll spare you my trying to convince you of this and point you to the re-read posts on Tor. If that's not your thing, that's fine. But I find the metastory very well incorporated if you're looking to find it. Even the sex scenes link back to this.

Damn it, here I am defending the damn books.

Nothing can be said long term until we get the last book.  It will save or damn the series as a whole.

My personal headcanon is that the whole series is the song Kvothe made for Felurian. Epic beginning, mediocre middle, left unfinished. But the beginning promised so much that the audience is willing to wait indefinitely for a good ending. Which of course the writer had no real intention to deliver. 

Okay, it's a little harsh, I know, but I have seriously wondered if Rothfuss ever had a real plan to tie together the story of Kvothe's past with his apocalyptic present, or if he just wanted to see how far he could go with an awesome set-up, a riddle so intricate it doesn't matter whether an answer is ever provided.

I keep hearing rumors that the copy editor for books 1 & 2 had a, shall we say, larger than typical role. And now that copy editor is no longer attached to the project which is a major factor in the struggles/delays.

Of course, the only thing to do when one hears such unsubstantiated rumors is to spread them irresponsibly, so.... 

Do they have ghostwriters bad enough that they think: "I'll write a scene where a young hero is so good at sexing and musicking, even though he's only had experienced the latter, impresses the sex fae so much that she pays _him_ with a magic cloak for his services". I mean ghostwriters you'd actually pay to work on a book.

An exercise in the thaleian arts, surely, to object to the protagonist's sexual proficiency with malevolent fae but not to the presence of malevolent fae when considering, on the one hand, the generic requirement that bucolic virgins in serial fantasy are always already talented lovers in inverse proportion to their talent's plot necessity and, on the other hand, the conflation of seelie and unseelie elements in the fae aforesaid, reducing her thereby to an incoherent nullity.

By the way, it seems like we're due for a new thread soon because of that silly "max 20 pages" rule (for which I haven't ever seen a good justification, but I presume there is one). Are you taking suggestions for its title? I propose "Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here".

8 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

By the way, it seems like we're due for a new thread soon because of that silly "max 20 pages" rule (for which I haven't ever seen a good justification, but I presume there is one). Are you taking suggestions for its title? I propose "Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here".

I think it has something to do with not having super long threads where it could be intimidating for members who haven't been keeping up to join in the discussion.

It is max 400 posts but sometimes the mods just let it go for awhile if its not a particularly fast moving thread. You can make the next thread if you want to name it. Yours is the 400th post already.

I had a funny/sad thought last night watching the GoT finale:

We got to see the end of the Wheel of Time completed through a different author.

We got to see the end of A Song of Ice and Fire completed through a television show

We'll likely see the end of The Kingkiller Chronicles completed through a video game.

9 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I think it has something to do with not having super long threads where it could be intimidating for members who haven't been keeping up to join in the discussion.

It is max 400 posts but sometimes the mods just let it go for awhile if its not a particularly fast moving thread. You can make the next thread if you want to name it. Yours is the 400th post already.

I’m sure i saw Ran explain this before and the reason was rather a remnant from older iterations of the forum where lengthy threads slowed down performance or something and the custom just stuck. Could be wrong though

Archived