Jump to content
Darth Richard II

Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

I dunno. 

Rothfuss was obviously FOS when he made his infamous "good to go" proclamation all those years back, but he has maintained that he drafted an ending long ago and [at least at one point] knew where he was going with the story. I would be very surprised to learn that book 3 hasn't at least been plotted out to the point where ghost writers couldn't help fill in the gaps.

IIRC, there was buzz around the internet at one point that a book 3 manuscript went to beta readers and the feedback was not positive. The implication was that PR has been trying to fix it ever since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally, the way it works when editorial intervention is necessary to get a book from an author, the editor/s get a hotel room, visit the author's home, whatever, and hole up with her, and go through an excruciating, endless process, of q&a and somebody types, preferably the author -- but not always.

It hasn't been unknown for the author in this circumstance to take a runner either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of editorial intervention 

 

Did you guys know that Toriyama initially intended for Androids 19 and 20 to be "the Androids" until his editor was like "cool, but where's the actual villains?"  So he added 17, 18 and Cell.   And then he intended Imperfect Cell to be Perfect Cell until the editor was like, "So what does he look like in his Perfect form?"  And then we got the handsome devil known as Perfect Cell. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should do a remake of Wonderboys about Rothfuss and the DoS.  They could have Seth Rogan play the Rothfuss/Douglass character.  I'm thinking McCauley Culkin for Downey Jr.  

"I had an alternate version of the first chapter..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still curious about Z.'s info on book 3. I think we can safely assume that a draft of it is complete -- Peter Brett once tweeted that he had a beta copy & was reading it, a long time ago, maybe 6-7 years? -- but the floating idea that it basically sucks would be in line with the extreme delay and Rothfuss's refusal to discuss it.

And I just gotta say LOL at the decorum-buttons pushed earlier about criticizing the author. This is a forum where Tairy Yeardkind has 50+ threads bashing his douchery and R. Scott Bakker discussions routinely devolve to dissecting his foot-in-mouth disease. If Rothfuss a) wasn't so popular and thus influential in the gnre, b) if his books were a lot better than his obnoxious fanboi / girls proclaimed, c) he didn't make grandiose statements about the series and seem completely unable or unwilling to back these statements up with evidence other than an utter, utter dogshit slice-of-life novella with a whinging "don't judge me imma unicorn, u can be unicorn too" prologue & epilogue to boot, d) if he wasn't making bank milking the swag of the series to the nth degree while failing to deliver, e) write misogynistic blog posts and hate on series he ripped off wholesale (HP... even then, the decorum button need not be pushed. Polite discussion about overrated authors is not the reason many of us visit westeros.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I dunno, as much as Goodkind is a shitheel, I wouldn't mock him if a parent died or he got cancer or anything.

 

Also good point with E. I hate that Rothfuss' misogyny gets complete ignored. I think he's worse then a lot of people that do get accused of it.

Edited by Darth Richard II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll criticise Rothfuss for making foolish comments (it's not as if we have much else to discuss about him at the moment), but there are several lines I won't cross. Writer's Block *is* a thing, even if Rothfuss himself denies it - the frustration is less with the delay (I have a love/hate relationship with the books anyway), and more the perceived dishonesty or at least denial about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I'll also say I really like The Slow Regard of Silent Things. It's the foreword and afterword that are the problem.

QFT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I dunno. 

Rothfuss was obviously FOS when he made his infamous "good to go" proclamation all those years back, but he has maintained that he drafted an ending long ago and [at least at one point] knew where he was going with the story. I would be very surprised to learn that book 3 hasn't at least been plotted out to the point where ghost writers couldn't help fill in the gaps.

You couldnt get a james patterson writer... You'd have to get someone who is really good at writing like pat and someone who has read a lot of his influences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, unJon said:

IIRC, there was buzz around the internet at one point that a book 3 manuscript went to beta readers and the feedback was not positive. The implication was that PR has been trying to fix it ever since. 

The ending he wanted as a 20 something is a whole lot different than what it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You know this....how?

I'm assuming the ending he thought up when he was in his twenties may not be the best fit for the story and especially for a larger market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Generally, the way it works when editorial intervention is necessary to get a book from an author, the editor/s get a hotel room, visit the author's home, whatever, and hole up with her, and go through an excruciating, endless process, of q&a and somebody types, preferably the author -- but not always.

It hasn't been unknown for the author in this circumstance to take a runner either.

 

So they are kind of brainstorming what could happen or how something could be resolved together?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lysmonger said:

The ending he wanted as a 20 something is a whole lot different than what it should be.

So like a Bakker situation??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I hate that Rothfuss' misogyny gets complete ignored. I think he's worse then a lot of people that do get accused of it.

You're clearly barking up the wrong tree. He used to host meetings of the college feminists and stuff.

Misogyny disproved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×