Darth Richard II

Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, he said this in 2007 when the first book came out (along with "the entire trilogy is finished and will be out at one year intervals, and it's like finished right now so there's absolutely no danger of this not happening, right George? CHORTLE"). Later he tried to backtrack on it and say he didn't say that. And now he's saying it again.

And therein lies the problem. No-one criticises Scott Lynch for delays, because Lynch is so open and upfront about it. I would be far more forgiving of Rothfuss if he even just admitted that Writers Block is a thing, and that he's genuinely struggling with the third book. I'd even be willing to forgive his weird pomposity (we all have flaws) and inadvertent trolling. It's the naked dishonesty that's the issue.

9 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

But that was before the current climate and now he is unsure whether or not to continue with Kvothe's sex change in order to further conceal his identity.

In all seriousness. I couldn't get past chapter 5 in book 1. That was when it first came out and when I disliked 1st person narrative. I no longer dislike first person now, but I don't want to try this series.

Yeah now there will be a plot with Ambrose caught with a  transgendered prostitute. Kvotte has to stand up/take revenge for said individual. Long speeches continuous speeches will be made

17 minutes ago, lysmonger said:

Yeah now there will be a plot with Ambrose caught with a  transgendered prostitute. Kvotte has to stand up/take revenge for said individual. Long speeches continuous speeches will be made

A big hamfisted speech about how a man who becomes a woman is still a man and a woman with a manly jaw, followed by confusion as to why people might be offended or annoyed. .

Street's like a jungle
So call the police
Following the herd
Down to Greece
On holiday
Love in the nineties
Is paranoid
On sunny beaches
Take your chances
Looking for

Girls who are boys
Who like boys to be girls
Who do boys like they're girls
Who do girls like they're boys
Always should be someone you really love

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, he said this in 2007 when the first book came out 

Can you source this?

The 'one year at a time' thing is very well documented (Here), but I've never seen 'the first three are the past, next three are the consequences' thing in print.

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Can you source this?

The 'one year at a time' thing is very well documented (Here), but I've never seen 'the first three are the past, next three are the consequences' thing in print.

It was in the publicity materials and interviews for The Name of the Wind. It might even have been in the marketing copy that came with the ARC, although that's gone over the years.

I'll try to go through all the old 2007 interviews with Pat from when the book launched but there's a hell of a lot of them.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It was in the publicity materials and interviews for The Name of the Wind. It might even have been in the marketing copy that came with the ARC, although that's gone over the years.

I'll try to go through all the old 2007 interviews with Pat from when the book launched but there's a hell of a lot of them.

My recollection is he said early that he would continue Kvothe’s story in a second set of books. Then he backed off that statement later (implying he thought it removed dramatic tension). More recently he’s made the statement that the first trilogy is just a prologue, which would seem to inidciate that he’s come full circle without outright saying so. 

I remember having heard something about a second trilogy. At the time, as I recall, it was accepted fact.

Then, of course, the books didn't come as advertised, and all talk about it disappeared. And we're left wondering if there ever will be a conclusion, and whether we'll read it. 

For me, it seems my "bet" that JV Jones will deliver her next book before Rothfuss is looking better by the day. Hah!

10 hours ago, lysmonger said:

He's going to make a coffee book about the world of timmeratt. Guarantee you that much.

Pages 1-150 will be an in-depth breakdown of the world's student finance system. It'll be a 152 page book.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Pages 1-150 will be an in-depth breakdown of the world's student finance system. It'll be a 152 page book.

The complex money exchange system will be the other 2 pages

49 minutes ago, lysmonger said:

The complex money exchange system will be the other 2 pages

But then where does the obnoxious foreword go?

Maybe there's a little speaker inside like those children's books, so when you open to read it, you hear Rothfuss' voice reading his foreword - heck, he could have one for every chapter!!

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

But then where does the obnoxious foreword go?

The foreword will be  a poem about three silences