Jump to content
Darth Richard II

Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Opinions on the work and author aside, anyone who read say, the first 20 pages of Name of the Wind and is expecting a Happy Ending is out of there minds.

Honestly, any ending would do just as long as it's properly done. Or done at all; at this point I'm not really picky.

Edited by Kyll.Ing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Opinions on the work and author aside, anyone who read say, the first 20 pages of Name of the Wind and is expecting a Happy Ending is out of there minds.

Agree to an extent, but I also suspect Pat is overselling how tragic it is. He's an overseller.

He went on and on about how Princess and Mr. Whiffle isn't for kids, but my little kids all thought it was hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Agree to an extent, but I also suspect Pat is overselling how tragic it is. He's an overseller.

He went on and on about how Princess and Mr. Whiffle isn't for kids, but my little kids all thought it was hilarious.

Didn't he write that for his kid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Didn't he write that for his kid?

No idea, but when I ordered a copy it came with a sticker that said "this shit is not for kids". 

When I saw him at a reading some time later, he made a big deal about fairy tales (and his in particular) being not for kids. 

And to be clear, I don't think it's for any nefarious purpose. I think he's just prone to fits of exaggeration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

No idea, but when I ordered a copy it came with a sticker that said "this shit is not for kids". 

When I saw him at a reading some time later, he made a big deal about fairy tales (and his in particular) being not for kids. 

And to be clear, I don't think it's for any nefarious purpose. I think he's just prone to fits of exaggeration

Understatement of the decade. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Didn't he write that for his kid?

It was for a girlfriend I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Understatement of the decade. :P

One of my favorite reviews of this series calls Rothfuss a "carny". He really is a big contradiction, full of hot air one moment and almost in tears the next. Oh, yeah, that's right, he's borderline bi-polar, right? (I forget the actual diagnosis, it's a mild form of bi-polar). His antics sort of make sense, in that light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what's true or untrue about his mental state, but he'd be far from the first person to view his own snark as cheeky and cute while seeing others' as mean and hurtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft, Melanie Rawn says hi.

 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d love her to finish Exiles and I wonder if she could finish The Captal’s Tower before The Doors of Stone is released.

 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Allegedly she’s been working on it for a year or two now.

Wasn't she involved in an accident that derailed her?  I feel empathy, but yes, I too would love an opportunity to read The Captal's Tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

 

 

Wasn't she involved in an accident that derailed her?  I feel empathy, but yes, I too would love an opportunity to read The Captal's Tower.

Not that I'm aware of. She was writing it in the late 90s, got Breast Cancer, beat the cancer, wrote some, uh, witch related sff that got the third book cancelled, then wrote some 6 book series about magical theaters or something. Her response and reasoning for writing other stuff has been, eh, somewhat smug and condescending and a lot of people won't read her new stuff til she finishes exiles, allegedly. I mean I haven'tt read anything by her since her first witch porn, er, fiction book so I don't know what the quality is like but Pat at the hotlift talked to her recently and said shes been working on Exiles 3 finally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not that I'm aware of. She was writing it in the late 90s, got Breast Cancer, beat the cancer, wrote some, uh, witch related sff that got the third book cancelled, then wrote some 6 book series about magical theaters or something. Her response and reasoning for writing other stuff has been, eh, somewhat smug and condescending and a lot of people won't read her new stuff til she finishes exiles, allegedly. I mean I haven'tt read anything by her since her first witch porn, er, fiction book so I don't know what the quality is like but Pat at the hotlift talked to her recently and said shes been working on Exiles 3 finally.

Cancer, that was right.  I had forgotten what exactly.  I remember Pat's article.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt because cancer is one of those things that can change a person.  I never followed up on her later stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I never talk about deadlines anymore. I say, ‘When it’s ready I will bring it to you,’ and until then, trust that I am working,” 

Hmm, maybe if he gave us some reason to trust he was actually working on it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Hmm, maybe if he gave us some reason to trust he was actually working on it...

Yes, but notice he simply stated "working", not "working on it". He's not working on Doors of Stone. His lawyer probably told him to write that. He may be working but it's highly doubtful he's working on Doors of Stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Yes, but notice he simply stated "working", not "working on it". He's not working on Doors of Stone. His lawyer probably told him to write that. He may be working but it's highly doubtful he's working on Doors of Stone.

I doubt his lawyer said any such thing.  What are your damages if he claimed to be “working on” DoS and he actually wasn’t?

Fraud has nine elements:

(1) a representation of fact;

(2) its falsity;

(3) its materiality;

(4) the representer’s knowledge of its falsity or ignorance of its truth;

(5) the representer’s intent that it should be acted upon by the person in the manner reasonably contemplated;

(6) the injured party’s ignorance of its falsity;

(7) the injured party’s reliance on its truth;

(8) the injured party’s right to rely thereon; and

(9) the injured party’s consequent and proximate injury. 

His publicist might have told him to say that but his lawyer didn’t care.  See above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Eh, I don't see any reason to assume he isn't working on it. It might not be an active priority, what with his other commitments, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. His claim that authors don't get writers block on the other hand, is very useful to bash him over the head with. I don't think he has walked back on that yet.

 

Edit - Scot, you have to demonstrate your case and explain why it doesn't meet the requirements not just state them. :unsure:

Edited by Proudfeet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Eh, I don't see any reason to assume he isn't working on it. It might not be an active priority, what with his other commitments, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. His claim that authors don't get writers block on the other hand, is very useful to bash him over the head with. I don't think he has walked back on that yet.

 

Edit - Scot, you have to demonstrate your case and explain why it doesn't meet the requirements not just state them. :unsure:

The statement causes no damage to the reader.  The inly action it might change is they stop complaining about the lack of DoS.  How does that damage the person who stops complaining?  They are not physically injured, they suffer no emotional trauma, they lose no money as a result of relying upon the statement.  

So, no civil liability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been listening to book 2...was the repetitive nature of the story structure always this pretentious when you're reading the words, rather than listening?  

I mean, Kvoth is possibly rhe least likeable character I've ever read. I didn't like him much reading him, but listening?  It's a gorgeous audio reading, no fault to the reader. And I get that there is a deliberate flaw to the nature of the story being told by the character himself...but really he's impossibly hard to like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Been listening to book 2...was the repetitive nature of the story structure always this pretentious when you're reading the words, rather than listening?  

I mean, Kvoth is possibly rhe least likeable character I've ever read. I didn't like him much reading him, but listening?  It's a gorgeous audio reading, no fault to the reader. And I get that there is a deliberate flaw to the nature of the story being told by the character himself...but really he's impossibly hard to like.

Kvothe is a self involved asshole.  Smart but reckless.  That is what makes him interesting in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×