Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

He's a lawyer, he doesn't understand humor.  

Haha, us lawyers have a sense of humor. Now accountants are another story. I also believe they have no soul. Like Rothfuss.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, us lawyers have a sense of humor. Now accountants are another story. I also believe they have no soul. Like Rothfuss.

You clearly havent watched Parks and Rec!

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, I think Rothfuss is just horny.

That just makes the inability to finish the third book all that more sad...I mean, he's the freakin' author...finish the deal!

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That just makes the inability to finish the third book all that more sad...I mean, he's the freakin' author...finish the deal!

Haven't you heard?  He has finished it, but just like a horny teenager, the other party (beta readers) were left entirely unsatisfied. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

;)

I see you're not entirely devoid of humor :D 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kvothe is a self involved asshole.  Smart but reckless.  That is what makes him interesting in my opinion.

True, but if I want to read about a self involved asshole orphan with a mysterious past in book series with huge gaps in publication dates, Locke Lamora is my jam. 

On 4/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

To a degree. But now that I'm listening to the stories, you tend to catch more. And the story of Kvothe is pretentious, repetitive, and makes me wonder if the third book isn't out because an editor actually said, "you can't spend a thrid book having him whine about money and the lack there of and pine over Denna in a will-they-won't-they in a manner that makes David/Maddy or Ross/Rachel seem okay".  

His editor, Betsy Wollheim, told me last year that she had yet to see a single word of DoS and won't until Rothfuss finishes the manuscript. . . :/

Not really. Many editors don't see a page until the manuscript is done. Depends on the author, the editor, and their relationship. Not sure Anne has seen anything but what GRRM posted online regarding TWoW. Big names like Rothfuss and Martin don't have to send every single chapter as soon as they're done.

About Rothfuss, since he revises and rewrites every single thing a thousand times, it wouldn't do much good to send stuff to Betsy until he considers it done.

10 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

About Rothfuss, since he revises and rewrites every single thing a thousand times, it wouldn't do much good to send stuff to Betsy until he considers it done.

Certainly having another set of eyes on it, and telling him what works and what doesn't would only be a good thing.  But then he would probably have to actually work on it.  

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Most certainly not me!

Oops. 

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Big names like Rothfuss and Martin don't have to send every single chapter as soon as they're done.

That seems to be the sensible thing to do. I'm a layman without any insight to the publication process but it seems that it would be highly confusing and frustrating to review the same chapter because of changes later on that would affect the consistency of the story. I assume all the revising they do is because they have written themselves into a corner and they keep having to change details to make it work rather than refining what they have written.

I think for most writers we don't even get looked at until the ms is finished and polished.  But I'm guessing it may be different if the publisher is already contracted for the book, ie sequels. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, Lord Patrek said:

Not really. Many editors don't see a page until the manuscript is done. Depends on the author, the editor, and their relationship. Not sure Anne has seen anything but what GRRM posted online regarding TWoW. Big names like Rothfuss and Martin don't have to send every single chapter as soon as they're done.

Certainly with ADWD and ADWD, GRRM would send batches of the book in to Anne Groell for editing at relatively early stages so he could incorporate those edits in the rewrite stage and speed up the final production of the book when the last chapters were completed.

However, ADWD also saw some of that material (post-edited) being dumped and I think it ended up being more confusing than helpful (so Groell had to do another full editing pass when the entire thing was done), so I got the impression that for TWoW it's not been done to the same scale. I know one section of ~150 manuscript pages was delivered to Anne to meet a deadline payment in 2013 (as she said so in an interview), but nothing has been confirmed since then.

Archived