Darth Richard II

Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kvothe is a self involved asshole.  Smart but reckless.  That is what makes him interesting in my opinion.

To a degree. But now that I'm listening to the stories, you tend to catch more. And the story of Kvothe is pretentious, repetitive, and makes me wonder if the third book isn't out because an editor actually said, "you can't spend a thrid book having him whine about money and the lack there of and pine over Denna in a will-they-won't-they in a manner that makes David/Maddy or Ross/Rachel seem okay".  

And as an aside, I've not read all of these threads over the years, but Denna/Kvothe is some sort of aspect of the gods that are talked about in the stories that are related, right?

Edited by Jaxom 1974

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I doubt his lawyer said any such thing.  What are your damages if he claimed to be “working on” DoS and he actually wasn’t?

Fraud has nine elements:

(1) a representation of fact;

(2) its falsity;

(3) its materiality;

(4) the representer’s knowledge of its falsity or ignorance of its truth;

(5) the representer’s intent that it should be acted upon by the person in the manner reasonably contemplated;

(6) the injured party’s ignorance of its falsity;

(7) the injured party’s reliance on its truth;

(8) the injured party’s right to rely thereon; and

(9) the injured party’s consequent and proximate injury. 

His publicist might have told him to say that but his lawyer didn’t care.  See above.

It was a joke, Scot. 

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Been listening to book 2...was the repetitive nature of the story structure always this pretentious when you're reading the words, rather than listening?  

Yes.

Almost everything about Kingkiller feels fake, despite the "look at me research" info drops here and there.

The big give away is the music contest in the first book, which is utter nonsense and swathed with a lot of worked-over prose to the point that it almost seems possible. And then everyone claps at the end. One would think it's meta, but I think Rothfuss was dead serious when he wrote in in his seventh year of college or whatever.

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And as an aside, I've not read all of these threads over the years, but Denna/Kvothe is some sort of aspect of the gods that are talked about in the stories that are related, right?

No, I think Rothfuss is just horny.

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

He's a lawyer, he doesn't understand humor.  

Haha, us lawyers have a sense of humor. Now accountants are another story. I also believe they have no soul. Like Rothfuss.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

Haha, us lawyers have a sense of humor. Now accountants are another story. I also believe they have no soul. Like Rothfuss.

You clearly havent watched Parks and Rec!

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

Hey don’t talk about Chataya like that!

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, I think Rothfuss is just horny.

That just makes the inability to finish the third book all that more sad...I mean, he's the freakin' author...finish the deal!

Writing a 300 page Felurian/Denna/Kvothe three way scene takes years. Hell, comparing Felurian's otherworldly bosom to a master lutist's opus is a chapter on its own.

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That just makes the inability to finish the third book all that more sad...I mean, he's the freakin' author...finish the deal!

Haven't you heard?  He has finished it, but just like a horny teenager, the other party (beta readers) were left entirely unsatisfied. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

;)

I see you're not entirely devoid of humor :D 

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Hey don’t talk about Chataya like that!

Isn't that directed as Jaxom? I believe he's an accountant. Or was that Jaime?

On 4/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kvothe is a self involved asshole.  Smart but reckless.  That is what makes him interesting in my opinion.

True, but if I want to read about a self involved asshole orphan with a mysterious past in book series with huge gaps in publication dates, Locke Lamora is my jam. 

On 4/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

To a degree. But now that I'm listening to the stories, you tend to catch more. And the story of Kvothe is pretentious, repetitive, and makes me wonder if the third book isn't out because an editor actually said, "you can't spend a thrid book having him whine about money and the lack there of and pine over Denna in a will-they-won't-they in a manner that makes David/Maddy or Ross/Rachel seem okay".  

His editor, Betsy Wollheim, told me last year that she had yet to see a single word of DoS and won't until Rothfuss finishes the manuscript. . . :/

7 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Isn't that directed as Jaxom? I believe he's an accountant. Or was that Jaime?

Most certainly not me!

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

His editor, Betsy Wollheim, told me last year that she had yet to see a single word of DoS and won't until Rothfuss finishes the manuscript. . . :/

This strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

Not really. Many editors don't see a page until the manuscript is done. Depends on the author, the editor, and their relationship. Not sure Anne has seen anything but what GRRM posted online regarding TWoW. Big names like Rothfuss and Martin don't have to send every single chapter as soon as they're done.

About Rothfuss, since he revises and rewrites every single thing a thousand times, it wouldn't do much good to send stuff to Betsy until he considers it done.

10 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

About Rothfuss, since he revises and rewrites every single thing a thousand times, it wouldn't do much good to send stuff to Betsy until he considers it done.

Certainly having another set of eyes on it, and telling him what works and what doesn't would only be a good thing.  But then he would probably have to actually work on it.