Darth Richard II

Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

8 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

By the way, it seems like we're due for a new thread soon because of that silly "max 20 pages" rule (for which I haven't ever seen a good justification, but I presume there is one). Are you taking suggestions for its title? I propose "Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here".

I think it has something to do with not having super long threads where it could be intimidating for members who haven't been keeping up to join in the discussion.

It is max 400 posts but sometimes the mods just let it go for awhile if its not a particularly fast moving thread. You can make the next thread if you want to name it. Yours is the 400th post already.

I had a funny/sad thought last night watching the GoT finale:

We got to see the end of the Wheel of Time completed through a different author.

We got to see the end of A Song of Ice and Fire completed through a television show

We'll likely see the end of The Kingkiller Chronicles completed through a video game.

I don't follow the show, but wasn't it just a little past Dance? Hard to imagine that Winds and Dream could be condensed so much.

9 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I think it has something to do with not having super long threads where it could be intimidating for members who haven't been keeping up to join in the discussion.

It is max 400 posts but sometimes the mods just let it go for awhile if its not a particularly fast moving thread. You can make the next thread if you want to name it. Yours is the 400th post already.

I’m sure i saw Ran explain this before and the reason was rather a remnant from older iterations of the forum where lengthy threads slowed down performance or something and the custom just stuck. Could be wrong though

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I had a funny/sad thought last night watching the GoT finale:

We got to see the end of the Wheel of Time completed through a different author.

We got to see the end of A Song of Ice and Fire completed through a television show

We'll likely see the end of The Kingkiller Chronicles completed through a video game.

I will be deeply bitter if this is the case.

It's so much the matter that it is easier to start a book or a series than it is to figure out how to finish it.

The number of fiction, movies, television, etc. that start with a bang and end with whimper or a shark or even whimpering sharks or -- just stop vastly outnumber the works that end as well as they begin.  Particularly if the creators don't actually think through their characters and everything they put on the page.  Every time a new character walks on, there has to be backstory and a place where that figure fits, even if we see that character only once.  That's why the very satisfactory LOtR endings are so satisfactory.  He worked it all out before he published the damned things.  He pulled out what wasn't really for the story at hand, pretty much -- Tom Bombadil and Goldberry? -- and put it in appendices and the Silmarilliron. And it was all original with him, or inspired by original content in languages that Tolkien himself could read very well.  Not a single fantasy writer since Tolkien has done any of these things; well, maybe some have pulled out characters, that as much as they loved them, scenes they loved and so.  But most don't. They just let it all sit there and admire it, and then end up --STUCK.

On 5/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, Zorral said:

It's so much the matter that it is easier to start a book or a series than it is to figure out how to finish it.

As someone who has a trunk novel that hasn't been touched (other than cursory) in years even thought it's 85% through the fourth and final draft, I totally get it. Finishing something is absolutely harder than starting. 

It's more an observation that we've seen two fantasy opuses (sp?) completed through other means and we'll likely see this one completed in a different way as well.