On 4/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, LynnS said:

Brienne and Renly

Brienne and Jaimie

Littlefinger and Catelyn

Ned and Ashara

Barristan and Ashara

Jorah and Dany

Tyrion and Tysha

Haha I think you just named all the pairs in the books. But is Ned and Ashara really a pair? He only saw her at a tourney and seemed to have had a crush on her. But that's not love. 

13 hours ago, Lady Jowana said:

Jorah had Dany 

Elia and Rhaegar?

Possibly. But we don't really know if Elia loved Rhaegar or whether she even wanted to marry him. We can't really say that Rhaegar didn't love Elia either, just because he took up with Lyanna. Under Targ tradition, he could have married more than one wife. 

12 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Jorah's love for Daenerys.  She loves him as a friend.  He loves her romantically.  The age difference is quite a large gap.  Jorah found someone to believe in.  His love is genuine even though it will never be returned in the way he wants.

I don't think it's genuine love on Jorah's part, and Dany suspects as such. Jorah once tells her that Dany looks like his wife, the one he went bankrupt for. So he has a type and I think Dany gets it as lust, and not real love. That's probably why she stays away from him. Otherwise, even with the age gap, Jorah could have been a good match for her, a lot better than that Daario. 

It actually really surprises me that our POV characters don't experience a whole lot of unrequited love- by that I mean they don't talk about it that much. Unrequited Love is a simple, yet incredibly effective way of injecting Pathos into a story- everyone can relate to it. 

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

I don't think it's genuine love on Jorah's part, and Dany suspects as such. Jorah once tells her that Dany looks like his wife, the one he went bankrupt for. So he has a type and I think Dany gets it as lust, and not real love. That's probably why she stays away from him. Otherwise, even with the age gap, Jorah could have been a good match for her, a lot better than that Daario. 

I agree. Jorah was even frequenting Lyseni 'hos, because they had "the look". Daenerys loves her old bear, but not in the carnal sense; she also isn't terribly impressed by his looks. Too old, too hairy (Tyrion elaborates on this.)

I suspect anyone would have been a better match than Daario - and Dany realizes it, to her credit! She was suitably appalled when he suggested she stage a Red Wedding to get rid of all of her "problems" in Meereen. On the other hand, there's that body...

I don't think many of you know what "unrequited" means. One has to love the other, and the target of the primary person's affection must not return the feeling. We have no context for many of these (Ned & Ashara, Rhaella and Bonifer) to say if it was unrequited or not. In fact, Bonifer and Rhaella may have been in love truly and were separated by elitism. 

47 minutes ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Unrequited Love is a simple, yet incredibly effective way of injecting Pathos into a story- everyone can relate to it. 

I think George RR prefers the tried and true techniques of torture and other physical hardship, death of loved ones, and loss of place, position and privilege. I'm gradually getting the impression that he wants us to understand that "True Love" will bite you in the arse every time.

On 19/04/2018 at 3:05 AM, Agent Orange said:

Name a pair and why is the most interesting example of unrequited love to you and why?  

Got to be Brienne and Renly for me. Mainly because she loves him because of his kindness; he probably felt a bit sorry and found use for her usual skills, and the love was impossible because even if Brienne was "the Beauty" he would never have returned her feelings. Not only was he married to Margaery but it is heavily implied that he had a hidden romance with Loras. I suppose I like it because it is so naive. JonCon and Rhaegar are a similar case, but we know more about Brienne at this point so she wins for now.

13 minutes ago, Faera said:

Got to be Brienne and Renly for me. Mainly because she loves him because of his kindness; he probably felt a bit sorry and found use for her usual skills, and the love was impossible because even if Brienne was "the Beauty" he would never have returned her feelings. Not only was he married to Margaery but it is heavily implied that he had a hidden romance with Loras. I suppose I like it because it is so naive. JonCon and Rhaegar are a similar case, but we know more about Brienne at this point so she wins for now.

ConJon's love beats Brienne's I think because of 1. Rhaegar was a friend to him and not just kindly 2. His love is so great he is doing all in his power for his son.

6 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

ConJon's love beats Brienne's I think because of 1. Rhaegar was a friend to him and not just kindly 2. His love is so great he is doing all in his power for his son.

I'm not saying the love beats it, I'm saying I find it more interesting with Brienne because I "get" her character a little more at present. Maybe once I spend a bit more time in JonCon's head I'll change my mind. 

6 hours ago, zandru said:

I think George RR prefers the tried and true techniques of torture and other physical hardship, death of loved ones, and loss of place, position and privilege. I'm gradually getting the impression that he wants us to understand that "True Love" will bite you in the arse every time.

It's possible I'm just a terrible person, but this made me laugh, like, a lot.

7 hours ago, zandru said:

Then why do we love? Should we treat our children as tools like Tywin does? A wife as something to abuse as Robert does to Cersei? 

Archived