Just Like His Hands - More Small Things To Talk About

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think winter is finally over here. Not a small thing, but not worthy of a thread of it's own either. :) 

Here, too! (North Dakota)  And "finally" is right!  I heard on the local weather report the other evening that, if we made it past April 20 without reaching a daytime high temp of at least 60 F, it would set a new record for the latest in the year for that to happen.  It looks like that record is going to be extended by one day.  We are supposed to be above 60 F tomorrow but we won't reach it today.  We're finally having a bit of nice weather but it's still only in the 50s F.

Yeah if we're gonna talk about the weather, the past couple of weeks have been the first time I've missed living in Florida in the almost four years since moving away.  Been fucking ridiculous, and it screwed up baseball too!

I echo your feelings about the weather. This coming Monday, it will be exactly 6 years since I started working at my company, and I recall I was going to work just in a short sleeve shirt from day one, and now I am still going with my winter coat.

Just last week as we had another bout of snow, I joked with some GoT watching colleagues that's it too bad GoT didn't have a new season this April, because it would have been the first time when the words "Winter Is Coming" would have been applicable. :P

Can I just say how happy I am that politics has infested literally everything? I know a lot of normally functioning people like to keep politics out of mind, but I love the opportunity to spread my hate and misery!

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I never laugh at cold people. There's always a chance I might be a cold person myself some day. 

Almost a certainty.  But our summer is pretty much as exhausting as their winter.  I’m just enjoying the weather superiority while I still can.  Only about 6 weeks before I’m whining about the oppressive heat with still a long way to go.

Every Chicago winter, and slow-arriving spring, makes me more certain that we'll try a warmer climate after our son finishes high school.  That's seven years away, but the fantasy helps sustain me in the meantime.

It's very early to speculate where exactly.  My wife's parents live near Atlanta and will probably need some help as they age (they'll be in their early 80s then), but I like to spare a thought for San Diego or Orange County, Phoenix (although I'd prefer somewhere at some altitude in Arizona or New Mexico, while still accessible to a decent sized city), Charlotte, Miami or Austin.  I don't think I could try the more redneck locations (it's bad enough to go to small cities like those), no matter how nice the beaches and inexpensive the real estate.  I've a friend who claims Chattanooga is an over-looked gem but it sounds like a stretch.

I'd even like to return to Seattle and regain the trade-off of snowboarding during the winter grey, but I think my wife is done on Seattle.

12 hours ago, S John said:

Almost a certainty.  But our summer is pretty much as exhausting as their winter.  I’m just enjoying the weather superiority while I still can.  Only about 6 weeks before I’m whining about the oppressive heat with still a long way to go.

I'm already complaining about the oppressive heat.

I like spring, why does spring have to start so late this year and end extra early.  f off summer, give me spring back.

(BROWNSVILLE, Texas) — A Texas man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for stealing $1.2 million worth of fajitas over nine years.

Fifty-three-year-old Gilberto Escamilla was sentenced Friday after pleading guilty to theft by a public servant. The Brownsville Herald reports he told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control.

Escamilla had been intercepting fajitas that he ordered through the Cameron County juvenile center where he worked and delivering them to his own customers.

His scam was uncovered when he missed work for a medical appointment and an 800-pound (360-kilogram) fajita delivery arrived at the center, which doesn’t serve fajitas.

Escamilla was fired in August and arrested after authorities checked vendor invoices and obtained a search warrant that uncovered county-funded fajitas in his refrigerator.

http://time.com/5251847/texas-man-gets-50-years-in-prison-after-years-long-scheme-of-stealing-1-2-million-worth-of-fajitas-unravels/

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

50 years?  White collar criminals who've stolen millions and millions have received 5 or 7 years in a country club jail, or maybe 15 or 20 years. Texas doesn't mess around, does it?

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

50 years?  White collar criminals who've stolen millions and millions have received 5 or 7 years in a country club jail, or maybe 15 or 20 years. Texas doesn't mess around, does it?

I didn’t see any details, but my guess is that the charges carry a higher standard of punishment because he was a state employee using his position to rob the stat, and that they decided to make an example of him by giving him consecutive sentences rather than concurring ones.

Did I get that bit of lawyering right?  

Does it make sense I only got MMR and dTap vaccinations in 2014? I got the mumps vac in the USSR, measles in Israel, no indication that I ever got the rubella vacinnation (?!?), DTP (which the form I'm filling out informs me in big red letters is NOT good enough to count as a dTap) in the Netherlands, and then MMR and dTap as part of a possibly over-zealous effort by the health ministry ahead of various Central Africa travels a few years ago. Would those just be the same as the kid vaccines? (I'm also pretty sure I had a tetanus shot in the army and this doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.)

Honestly I think this does deserve its own thread, not because it would have legs, but because the people need to know!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/12/hand-dryers-suck-bathroom-bacteria-and-blow-them-all-over-your-hands-study-finds/511723002/

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I think this does deserve its own thread, not because it would have legs, but because the people need to know!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/12/hand-dryers-suck-bathroom-bacteria-and-blow-them-all-over-your-hands-study-finds/511723002/

So on top of the hand dryers causing hearing damage,

http://www.hearingreview.com/2015/10/news-report-exposes-harmful-noise-levels-modern-hand-dryers/

they can now make you sick.

11 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Does it make sense I only got MMR and dTap vaccinations in 2014? I got the mumps vac in the USSR, measles in Israel, no indication that I ever got the rubella vacinnation (?!?), DTP (which the form I'm filling out informs me in big red letters is NOT good enough to count as a dTap) in the Netherlands, and then MMR and dTap as part of a possibly over-zealous effort by the health ministry ahead of various Central Africa travels a few years ago. Would those just be the same as the kid vaccines? (I'm also pretty sure I had a tetanus shot in the army and this doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.)

MMR = measles, mumps and rubella, so shouldnt you be covered for rubella?

Archived