Just Like His Hands - More Small Things To Talk About

Fragile Bird

23 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

MMR = measles, mumps and rubella, so shouldnt you be covered for rubella?

You probably should have had some type of rubella vaccine when you were young though. It probably depends how old you are whether you had the MMR or three separate ones.

Yeah, I think I'm covered now (since 2014), but according to my vaccine-booklet, I was never vaccinated for rubella as a kid, just individually for mumps and measles. Also, apparently, even if we could find my Soviet vaccination record which might have the rubella record, my parents took a while to decide what to name me, so in the booklet it says my name is Ilyenna. Which is not my name. So I'm not sure a copy of that would take anyway.

The police catching the Golden State Killer 32 years after the last murder he committed by using an online genealogy database is pretty cool. It must be a relief for his victims and their families who must have thought he had gotten away with it for so long.

A few years ago we had a discussion on color and humans perception of color.  I can't find the thread, not sure if it's a failure on the part of my googlefu or if the Board ate it.  I believe it was spurred by The Dress (is it blue and white or black and gold?!?!) phenomenon.  That led us to some articles on Homer's 'wine-dark sea' and the lack of descriptions of blue in ancient texts.  Radiolab dug pretty deep into this on a segment I just heard.

It's pretty cool, they combed through Homer and also Vedic poetry, Icelandic sagas, and Egyptian texts and concluded that humans only name colors once we can reproduce them.  Definitely worth a listen.

I have this awfully wonderful clock from a thrift store, it's a wooden shadowbox with a cheesy early 80s sunset photo for a background, and the clock is in the upper right quadrant.  It's runs on batteries I've never bothered to get.  About three minutes ago was the first time since I've had it I looked at it and the time was correct.  

Might not seem like much to you but let me tell you I was crushing cans and blasting music for no reason at all until the clock gave me one.  It's been history ever since.  #clocklife

Getting my flu shot today. Last time I got it there was a woman in front of me who fainted because she hated needles.

14 hours ago, Yukle said:

Getting my flu shot today. Last time I got it there was a woman in front of me who fainted because she hated needles.

Now, in May? Interesting. At this side of the world flu shot season starts about October.

51 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now, in May? Interesting. At this side of the world flu shot season starts about October.

Their winter is our summer and vice versa. I learned the hard way studying abroad in South America.  

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:bawl:

Just sayin’. Our company gives free shots in October through December. It makes sense to get one in May down under.

Lol, I do know the seasons are different, but it’s the movement of the flu virus around the world that’s fascinating. We associate the flu with winter, but the summer mutations in China and elsewhere in Asia are what our flu shots in the fall are based on. I guess travel around Asia brings more flu to Australia at the start of their winter, but you can get the flu any time of the year. I assume it’s simply the speed at which the flu travels around the world that brings our heavy flu season starting in the fall, with a new mutation, but this year the worst months were the end of January, all of February and into March.

I wonder what version of shot they get? The shot in North America this year was a low success rate one, world health authorities picked the wrong mutation. I assume Australia is getting a different shot, based on the actual mutation that hit us. And I bet in some years a different mutation spreads south from Asia and they too end up with the wrong shot.

Ok, I see the flu is more prevalent in winter because the air is more stable with less humidity, not because of the way the virus rolls around the world. But you can get the flu any time of year, and therefore it’s never ‘too late’ to get the flu shot.

Why are beds so damn small?   I'm only 5'6 and my bed is too short.  I've had some shoulder problems causing me to use more pillows, later at night, I scooch down, not far, maybe like 6 inches.  If I try to stretch out, my feet are over the end of the bed.  If I scooch up, my feet are in the cat's way.  This is ridiculous.  A bed should be at LEAST a foot longer.  What on earth do tall people do?   Here is a diagram of my troubles.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Lily Valley said:

Why are beds so damn small?   I'm only 5'6 and my bed is too short.  I've had some shoulder problems causing me to use more pillows, later at night, I scooch down, not far, maybe like 6 inches.  If I try to stretch out, my feet are over the end of the bed.  If I scooch up, my feet are in the cat's way.  This is ridiculous.  A bed should be at LEAST a foot longer.  What on earth do tall people do?   Here is a diagram of my troubles.

Seems to me that this is the real problem. :P

On 5/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Lily Valley said:

Well, being only 5'5 myself I'm ill suited for offering advice to you giants of the world.

However, after extensive study of the diagram you included, I've concluded that Corvinus is correct in his assessment that you are suffering from Feline Bed Blocker Syndrome (FBBS). Is it possible through dialogue with your cat to renegotiate the partitioning of your bedspace with a more equitable treaty?

Personally, my cat sleeps on my legs between the kneecaps and ankles.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Lily Valley said:

Hmm...after glancing at your very helpful diagram I think I may see a possible solution.  You see, it seems to me that blanket is occupying bed space wholly incommensurate with its status in the social hierarchy (its social status is, of course, inversely related to the ambient temperature).  Would there be any way to convince your cat to perhaps share space with the blanket and, thus, free up leg space for you?  I don't believe the blanket would mind;)

53 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I have tried blanket removal and this did not solve the problem.  However, after a long talk with TK, the following solution was reached.  Please note, I have bad handwriting and it says, "SHEET"

Exhibit B

Your cat seems to be the size of a young tiger, which makes me think that you should let it sleep wherever it wants.

Archived