Just Like His Hands - More Small Things To Talk About

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Yukle said:

Your cat seems to be the size of a young tiger, which makes me think that you should let it sleep wherever it wants.

You can clearly see the problem.  Much easier to rearrange the entire room than to move the Thunder Kat.

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

I have tried blanket removal and this did not solve the problem.  However, after a long talk with TK, the following solution was reached.  Please note, I have bad handwriting and it says, "SHEET"

Exhibit B

That seems to be a wonderful solution...as long as TK is willing to provide some snuggle-warmth when the ambient temperature is cool.  Otherwise, you'll be forced to add the blanket back into the equation and all the old problems will be new again!

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I found a 50 € banknote on the floor at the bus stop today. Lucky day for me and unlucky for somebody else, I guess. (There was nobody around that it might have belonged to.)

That was mine. PM your PayPal details. ;) 

5 hours ago, Yukle said:

That was mine. PM your PayPal details. ;) 

Of course. The same was said by another person I told about it. Others asked if there was any more where that came from. ;)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, Buckwheat said:

Of course. The same was said by another person I told about it. Others asked if there was any more where that came from. ;)

I found a $100 dollar bill in the gutter one time when I was riding my bike and have found a $20 and a few ones while bike riding as well.  hmmmmm, haven't been biking lately, maybe I should I take it up again.  

Two small things from my life that happened today:

1. I said goodbye to my long long hair and now it is short and it feels totally different, and I like how it looks.

2. I realised a suspiciously high amount of the people on my fb friends' list had their account deactivated. Is there some sort of anti-fb campaign or maybe a virus going around? (These three people are from three different groups too, they don't know each other.)

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Two small things from my life that happened today:

1. I said goodbye to my long long hair and now it is short and it feels totally different, and I like how it looks.

2. I realised a suspiciously high amount of the people on my fb friends' list had their account deactivated. Is there some sort of anti-fb campaign or maybe a virus going around? (These three people are from three different groups too, they don't know each other.)

1. I chopped mine off as well recently too, and though it was the longest I've ever worn it, it still doesn't compare. Sure makes getting ready for work in the morning a whole lot easier.

2. Yes, there has been a campaign to leave FB after the data mining story broke. FB has been shady lately. The only reason I keep mine is because a friend died a few years back and I missed her funeral. If had logged on regularly, I would have heard about it and attended (at that time I logged in every few months). 

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

1. I chopped mine off as well recently too, and though it was the longest I've ever worn it, it still doesn't compare. Sure makes getting ready for work in the morning a whole lot easier.

2. Yes, there has been a campaign to leave FB after the data mining story broke. FB has been shady lately. The only reason I keep mine is because a friend died a few years back and I missed her funeral. If had logged on regularly, I would have heard about it and attended (at that time I logged in every few months). 

Mine was down to my hips until yesterday morning. Now it does not even touch my shoulders, so that was like ... half a meter braid that got cut off? Something like that. It sure makes it easier to brush and I am sure it is going to dry quicker and be all round more practical.

I am sorry about your friend and that you weren't notified at the right time.

My friend was just offered a job which I helped her applying for (helped her with her CV and Cover Letter And mock interviews and general advice). I’m feeling simultaneously warm and fuzzy that I helped her get this job (which is a job I know she hasn’t wanted for years now) and a bit baffled that I can’t seem to apply this skill to my own job hunting endeavours :lol:

I feel like this deserves it's own thread, but I'll start it here:

IT WILL TAKE seven weeks for Ben Lecomte to reach Japan from California. It will take six to eight months for him to get back. By swimming.

For eight hours a day during that long return trip, Lecomte, 51, will be in the water. It’s estimated he’ll burn 8,000 calories a day and spend 1,400 hours in the ocean in his attempt to become the first person to swim across the Pacific.

“Ben has this very weird passion of swimming in the ocean. It’s very hard to explain, even for him,” said Paul Lecomte, Ben’s nephew and the project manager of the expedition dubbed The Longest Swim. In 1998, Lecomte became the first person to swim across the Atlantic Ocean when he completed a 73-day, 5,980-km (3,716-mile) journey from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to Quiberon, France.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/oceans/articles/2018/04/23/the-man-swimming-across-the-pacific-ocean-for-science

• 5 months later...

A few months ago, I read about a psychology study.  It states that people with a small amount of knowledge about a subject will be very defensive and argumentative when told that they are wrong and that people with a large amount of knowledge will just be indifferent when told that they are wrong.

Does anyone know the name of this theorem?

3 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

A few months ago, I read about a psychology study.  It states that people with a small amount of knowledge about a subject will be very defensive and argumentative when told that they are wrong and that people with a large amount of knowledge will just be indifferent when told that they are wrong.

Does anyone know the name of this theorem?

This sounds a lot like the Dunning-Kruger effect and its inverse the Impostor syndrome.

So I need help translating “for my little waffle hedgehog” into Latin.*  Google translate gets me close, but is giving me more of a “indecisive speech” definition for waffle rather than the needed “tasty breakfast”.  I guess they didn’t have waffles in ancient Rome.  No wonder it fell.  Anyhoo, I’ve worked out some definitions on my own but I’m at a complete loss for sentence structure and conjugation:

quia —  for my

parvus —small

prandium —  breakfast

crustum    pie/cake

ericius — hedgehog

Also, from what I gather, Latin is exhaustively particular about its pronouns, tenses and conjugations, etc, so to be clear, hedgehog is definitely the noun/subject and waffle is the qualifier/descriptor.  I need a waffle-loving hedgehog, rather than a hedgehog shaped waffle, if that makes a difference.

*timely reply triggers adorable explanation!

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I can offer no help regarding your query, but this is the best historical analysis I've ever read, and likely all that ever needs be said on the subject.

Well, not to brag, but I had 5 years of high school and almost 2 whole semesters of college.

*flexes*

45 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Well, not to brag, but I had 5 years of high school and almost 2 whole semesters of college.

*flexes*

According to my Latin -English dictionary, pransum - having eaten breakfast,- crustum might be the phrase you are looking for.

Archived