Speculation on Targaryen dragon family tree

Pure and idle speculation with no possible answer, I wonder what the family tree is of the Targaryen dragons - it's possible even GRRM didn't work it out yet.

Complicating matters is how long dragons live, and how long their eggs can stay dormant.  For all we know, one of the hatchlings during the Dance was from an egg recently laid by Vhagar - or, from an egg Meraxes laid a century before.  

We know that they were probably inbred over time, like the Targaryens themselves - there were only 3 original dragons.  I am going to go with the big assumption that no dragon ever mated with its parent, or grandparent (ack).  But there could have been inter-generational matings - i.e. nieces and nephews.  

Generally, it seems that the larger dragons are also older - though there are exceptions.  Much like horses, or dogs:  a 1 year old mastiff or St. Bernard is bigger than a 5 year old terrier.  Dreamfyre was noted to be "slender", despite being the same generation or so as Vermithor.  

There are only two real clues to grasp at so far:  1 - confirmed egg-layers, 2 - if coloration indicates anything.

Basically, it seems the narration describes dragons as female - using female pronouns - if they were confirmed egg-layers.  A few are described as "Queens", which I think definitely means they're egg-layers.  Pronoun analysis alone might not be consistent due to confused editing on these rough drafts (Caraxes is referred to inconsistently as "he" or "she").  

So we've got:

The original 5 dragons:  Balerion and four others, relation unknown.  

The original 3 conquest-era dragons - unknown if they were related to each other:

• Balerion - black, with red highlights.  Male pronouns.
  • Meraxes - silver, with gold highlights (apparently).  Female pronouns.
  • Vhagar - coloration unknown.  Female pronouns.  

There's mention that the Dragonpit was built for "Balerion, Vhagar, and their get".  The possibility remains that Meraxes produced multiple eggs with Balerion that they held on to - or even, dragons from eggs the original four left over.  

Conquest to Dance:

The hatchling Quicksilver bonded with 3 year old Aenys in 10 AC, and he rode it to Dorne in 23 AC.  TRP describes Quicksilver using female pronouns.  I suspect that Quicksilver was the progeny of Balerion and Meraxes, given that it's an egg they gave Rhaenys's son Aenys, thematically for his dragon to be the child of his mother's, and a possible hint that both were probably silver (going by the name).  For all we know, Quicksilver could have produced eggs from which other named dragons later hatched.  It was these mentions about Quicksilver's coloration which led me to suspect that the color of other dragons may be a clue.

By the end of Aegon I's reign, there were "half a dozen" hatchlings on Dragonstone.  Not every hatchling necessarily lived to maturity.  Aenys's daughter Rhaena (Aegon I's first grandchild) became rider of Dreamfyre in 35 AC (2 years before his death).  By 48 AC, Aenys's other children had dragons:  Jaehaerys I had Vermithor, Alysanne had Silverwing.

At some point Jaehaerys & Alysanne made a big formal visit to Winterfell with 6 dragons.  Vermithor, Silverwing....I tentatively assume the other four included Balerion and Dreamfyre.  As for the last two...Meleys...and Caraxes?

At the time of the Dance, by size class:

Very large:

• Vhagar

Large

• Vermithor - bronze with tan highlights.  Male pronouns.  Largest dragon after Vhagar.
  • Silverwing - apparently silver.  Female pronouns.  Apparently a mated pair with Vermithor, like their original riders.  When surveying the three dead dragons after Tumbleton (Vermithor, Tessarion, Seasmoke) says she looked on her "slain cousins" - though "cousin" might be a loose term (for all we know, Vermithor was her brother, but "cousins" is being used collectively for the other two as well).  
  • Dreamfyre - light blue, with silver highlights.  Female pronouns.  Described as "a slender she-dragon".  
  • Meleys - scarlet red, with copper highlights.  Female pronouns.  "No stranger to battle"?? What, was there another Dornish War or wildling incursion?  Or battle against pirates in the Narrow Sea?  Called "The Red Queen", probably an egg-layer.
  • Caraxes - solid red.  Apparently a mated pair with Syrax?
  • Syrax - solid yellow.  Confirmed egg-layer, multiple clutches of eggs.  First taken as a mount by Rhaenyra in 104 AC, when Rhaenyra was seven, and Syrax was "young".  Stated that Rhaenyra named her - though it's possible that a dragon could be wild for a few years and only get a name upon being claimed (I don't know).  Rhaenyra named her "Syrax" after a Valyrian goddess.  
  • Sheepstealer - "ugly mud brown", solid coloration.  Male pronouns.  Hatched when Jaehaerys I was young.
  • The Cannibal - coal black, solid coloration.  Some wonder if it was even a Targaryen dragon, or an old Valyrian dragon from a separate lineage (I think it's more interesting if it really was a Targaryen dragon, that went insane from all the inbreeding, but we don't know).  Presumably this means that characters in-universe don't know who laid its egg.

Medium to Light:

• Sunfyre - shining gold, with pale pink wing membranes.  Male pronouns.  "Young" in 120 AC.
  • Tessarion - blue (dark cobalt), with copper highlights.  Called "the Blue Queen", apparently an egg-layer.  Seems to be younger than Sunfyre, given that by 120 AC Daeron had "yet to ride" her - though he was only six at the time,
  • Seasmoke - pale silver-grey.  Male pronouns.  Laenor Velaryon possessed him since at least 101 AC.
  • Vermax, Arrax, Tyraxes - color unknown.  Male pronouns.  Vermax hatched after 114 AC when Jacaerys Velaryon was born.  Somewhat implied that all three were from a clutch of eggs laid by Syrax and sired by Caraxes (unproven).  
  • Moondancer - pale green, with pearl white highlights.  Slender, Stated to be a "she-dragon".  
  • Grey Ghost - pale grey-white, the color of morning mist.  Male pronouns.

Hatchlings:

• Stormcloud - coloration unknown.  Male pronouns.  Possessed by Rhaenyra's son Aegon III.
  • Morghul - coloration unknown.  Male pronouns (I think).  Possessed by Aegon II's son Jaehaerys.
  • Shrykos - coloration unknown.  Male pronouns (I think).  Possessed by Aegon II's daughter Jaehaera.  
  • Morning - hatched after the war, possessed by Rhaena of Pentos.  Rhaenyra had earlier given Rhaena eggs that Syrax laid - very probably Syrax was her mother.

Well, that's a lot to take in.

Speculation:

• Balerion and Vhagar produced confirmed progeny.
  • Vermithor and Silverwing probably produced progeny.
  • Caraxes and Syrax probably produced progeny.  
  • Meleys and Tessarion probably produced progeny, given their description as "Queens".  

Problem is that I assume all of the "large" dragons were of the same generation....when for all we know, Caraxes and Syrax were actually third-generation, siblings with Sunfyre.  At least, we know they were younger than Verithor.  But Caraxes and Syrax were "huge", whereas Sunfyre was more..."medium".  Biggest of the younger ones.  Not "huge" as such, but a pretty formidable fighter.

• I think that that the younger dragons of the Blacks were all produced in the multiple clutches laid by Syrax, sired by Caraxes - and the two hatchlings given to Aegon II's children were probably laid by Tessarion.  The sire may have been Sunfyre.

Tessarion may have ben the only generation three parent.

The real question are the generation two dragons:  Meleys and Silverwing were probably egg-layers.  

....were Caraxes and Syrax truly "Generation 2"?  Or a separate, intervening generation?  Making the new gen-three just "Caraxes and Syrax", the medium to lights "gen four" and the hatchlings "gen five".  

If coloration is any clue, TRP's revelation that Dreamfyre was light blue and silver may indicate that it was the mother of Tessarion - or, hatched from an egg Quicksilver left behind.  

Meleys may have actually been the mother of Caraxes and Syrax - given their red/yellow coloration. 

Hmmm.....

The only ones they presume are male are Balerion, Vermithor, Caraxes, Sunfyre, Seasmoke, and the wild dragons.  Did they even know who the alleged "male" parent was?  Or did they just find dragon eggs, not even knowing who laid them?

Crud, I hope Fire and Blood answers this...

I don't think that's a very fruitful topic to speculate about. We do know that dragons can change their sex, so this is a very complicated thing.

What clearly seems to be wrong is the eye that dragons called 'queen' are confirmed 'egg-layers' - Tessarion, the so-called Blue Queen, was a very young dragon and there is no indication whatsoever that she ever laid any eggs prior to her death. The idea that 'the queen' means she laid eggs is just baseless speculation.

What we can say is that it seems Maegor built the Dragonpit for the descendants of Balerion and Vhagar - confirming that some/all the Targaryen dragons are the descendants of these two. Which is hardly surprising.

Considering Balerion's age he could even be a parent of both Meraxes and Vhagar, come to think of that. Dragons seem to mimic the emotions of their riders, so when a rider claims the offspring of a dragon then said dragon may mate with its child or grandchildren simply because reflects the emotions its rider has for another rider. Caraxes is very likely a the child or grandchild of Vhagar.

Quicksilver may be a descendant of Meraxes and Balerion, but that is just a guess. What we can say is that Prince Aenys never received an egg but actually a living hatchling because that's what the text says.

I'd like that because we are told that Vermithor and Silverwing seem to be cousins not siblings, so perhaps - perhaps - Silverwing is a daughter of Quicksilver and an unknown dragon (Balerion again?) whereas Vermithor is descended from Vhagar and Balerion - he would likely be their child. Dreamfyre, too.

But then, perhaps the dragons of the children of Aenys and Alyssa are all descended from Vhagar and Balerion and are all siblings. Vermithor and Silverwing could very well be siblings, the same way as their riders.

No point in speculating about the dragons during the reign of Jaehaerys I.

During the reign of Viserys I it seems reasonably likely that Vermax, Arrax, Tyraxes, Tessarion, Stormcloud, Moondancer, Morning, Morghul, and Shrykos all hatched from eggs laid by Syrax. The later eggs may have been 'fathered' by Caraxes (Stormcloud, Moondancer, Morning, etc.) while Syrax may have mated with Seasmoke while Rhaenyra was yet married to Laenor.

We do know that Syrax repeatedly produced clutches of eggs - but it is unclear who 'the father' is.

But we have no idea from whom Syrax, Caraxes, Seasmoke, Sunfyre, Meleys, etc. are descended, and we have no way to figure it out at this point. We also don't know whether Vhagar and Caraxes produced any eggs while Daemon was married to Laena. Maybe. But perhaps dragons as old as Vhagar can no longer produce eggs? We don't know. 

I also assume that Vermithor and Silverwing repeatedly produced eggs during the reign of Jaehaerys I, but we don't know that this is the case. It would only be fitting considering how fertile their riders were.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't think that's a very fruitful topic to speculate about. 

Proceeds to write multi-paragraph response.

(grins then sighs)

You're absolutely right, it isn't a fruitful topic to speculate about.  I know it's grasping at straws. 

But dang it, like me, you've got the monkey on your back to speculate!

Excellent list of evidence, m'lord. 

Syrax and Seasmoke?  I thought Seasmoke was...you know...

Well, I actually thought they implied Syrax and Vhagar may have mated, when Rhaenyra and Laena were friends and "often flew together".
Odd that compared to the other dragons, Syrax is the only one repeatedly stated to be churning out multiple clutches of eggs, with some frequency. 

****In case you haven't seen the update to the wiki-article, Lord Varys, GRRM recently confirmed to Elio that he's writing an entirely new chapter for Fire and Blood to "round out" the long reign of Jaehaerys I - when many of these were hatched.  Elio also let it slip that there was another separate essay-chapter for the World Book, "the Peace of the Dragon", about the reign of Aegon I (when the older dragons were hatched).  I think Peace of the Dragon must be fairly short (doing the math, under 10,000 words, possibly only 2-3,000), and most of it was in the "First Dornish War" section of the Dorne chapter.  

.....yeah, being called a "she-dragon" may confirm they laid eggs, but not confirm if any of these eggs ever hatched (or survived).  

......think coloration is indication of anything?  Tessarion out of Dreamfyre?

I know that GRRM himself hasn't decided what color Vhagar is.  But I wonder what he'll finally pick.  I always think of it as green...but part of me kind of hopes for purple.  Royal purple.  Just because it's the only color dragons haven't displayed already....haha

A helpful bit; we know the Targaryens came to Dragonstone before the doom with five dragons, one of whom was Balerion, meaning he was the only Targaryen dragon born in Valyria.

Balerion may very well have whelped both of the other two, but based on their size and age I think it unlikely, at least for both. Vhagar was near as old but never quite reached Balerion's size.

The death of Meraxes was a tragedy for reasons even greater than Rhaenys imo; that could have been the end of the dragons then and there and likely the dynasty. Though, it also seems implied at times as if dragons may not need to mate in order to have a clutch of eggs.

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Balerion may very well have whelped both of the other two, but based on their size and age I think it unlikely, at least for both. Vhagar was near as old but never quite reached Balerion's size.

Meraxes died much earlier than both Balerion and Vhagar yet she was larger than Vhagar. Apparently some dragons grow quicker and larger than others, never mind the age. Vhagar had time to grow over another century yet never reached the size of Meraxes. Perhaps dragons don't grow their entire lives? We don't know.

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Though, it also seems implied at times as if dragons may not need to mate in order to have a clutch of eggs.

That is true. It might be that a she-dragon might just have to mate once to produce multiple clutches of fertile eggs. Or the eggs can be fertilized after they have been laid - that one a single dragon could lay eggs, change sex, and fertilize them.

We have no idea how this works.

@The Dragon Demands

Seasmoke seems to have been male - and he is apparently in some sort of mating dance with Tessarion during Second Tumbleton when Vermithor intervenes. That makes it not unlikely, I think, that he and Syrax had a thing going while their riders were married. Note that Seasmoke should be about the same age or slightly older than Syrax, considering that Laenor was already a dragonrider in 101 AC.

If Vhagar and Syrax mated then we would have to assume that either of them changed sexes in that time. Could be. But there is no evidence supporting this idea.

The term 'she-dragon' could be used after a dragon producing eggs 'proved' that it was female, but that's not a given. Dragons may have visible sex organs and thus people who know a thing or two about dragon physiology might be able to determine whether a dragon hatchling/young dragon is male or female. We don't know.

However, I think we can be sure that a dragon producing eggs - like Syrax or Vhagar - most definitely was seen as female thereafter. But we can't be sure that other dragons who are identified as female - Quicksilver, Dreamfyre, Tessarion, Moondancer, etc. - ever produced any eggs.

Just on the size thing, I always have to focus to get it right in my head.

So Vhagar died in 130 AC or thereabouts and at that point was as large as Balerion had been during Aegon's conquest, 130 years earlier. Meraxes died a mere 10 years after the Conquest, and at that point was already larger than Vhagar would be at her death, 120 years later.

This means that Meraxes in 10 AC was larger than Balerion had been in 0 AC, a mere 10 years earlier. This is problematic, given that Balerion during the Conquest was already 120 years old or more, and was clearly proclaimed to be the largest of Aegon's dragons by far. The "Black Dread".

I do wonder whether Martin perhaps made a small mistake  in the chapter (written decades ago in the real world) where Tyrion or Arya (I can't remember which) viewed the dragon skulls in the Red Keep. It would make more sense if Vhagar was the second largest skull, rather than Meraxes, given the later information in the WOIAF.

One would not expect a dragon who is 120 years old (Balerion) to suddenly experience a dramatic growth spurt so that  he is significantly larger by the time he is 130 years old. And yet, that must have happened, if Balerion remained larger than Meraxes by 10 AC.

Also, Vhagar was 180 years old at the time of her death, while Meraxes could be a maximum of around 120 or thereabouts when she was killed in Dorne.

Something seems strange about this size order and timeframe.

Do we have any reason to believe that dragons even mate? As in, do they reproduce sexually? It's entirely possible they produce young entirely via parthenogenesis. I'm not saying that's likely, I'm just saying it's pointless to speculate about something we have so little information about.

On 22.4.2018 at 2:37 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Just on the size thing, I always have to focus to get it right in my head.

It is rather weird, yes.

So Vhagar died in 130 AC or thereabouts and at that point was as large as Balerion had been during Aegon's conquest, 130 years earlier. Meraxes died a mere 10 years after the Conquest, and at that point was already larger than Vhagar would be at her death, 120 years later.

Meraxes was at her death larger than Vhagar - or rather, her head was larger, not necessarily. A larger animal could ride down Meraxes' throat than Vhagar's, basically.

What else this implies we actually do not know.

This means that Meraxes in 10 AC was larger than Balerion had been in 0 AC, a mere 10 years earlier. This is problematic, given that Balerion during the Conquest was already 120 years old or more, and was clearly proclaimed to be the largest of Aegon's dragons by far. The "Black Dread".

No, we don't know that Meraxes was ever larger than Balerion. It could be that Balerion was larger than Meraxes and Vhagar both at the Conquest, in 10 AC, at his death in 94 AC, and in 130 AC when Vhagar died.

We don't know whether dragons grow their entire lives or not. It could simply be that Balerion grew as large as he did before the Conquest and then stayed the same size the remainder of his life. And the same could go for Vhagar and Meraxes.

This way the whole thing can make sense.

What doesn't make a lot of sense is the assumption that Meraxes could have been (in any way) larger than Vhagar if Vhagar continued to grow in the 120 years she continued to live after Meraxes' death. But if neither Vhagar nor Meraxes were growing anymore when Meraxes died then those 120 years wouldn't have made any difference.

What is odd, though, is that Vhagar then would have grown to her monstrous size in a mere 50 years. She hatched in 52 BC, and the Wars of Conquest began in 2 BC.

Meraxes could have had the advantage of being somewhat older, considering that she could have hatched on Dragonstone immediately after Aenar the Exile and his children settled there (we know they brought Balerion and four other dragons with them from Valyria, but Vhagar and Meraxes both hatched on Dragonstone).

I do wonder whether Martin perhaps made a small mistake  in the chapter (written decades ago in the real world) where Tyrion or Arya (I can't remember which) viewed the dragon skulls in the Red Keep. It would make more sense if Vhagar was the second largest skull, rather than Meraxes, given the later information in the WOIAF.

@Ran and @Linda apparently pointed that out to George, so he is aware of this inconsistency. One could repair it by either changing the published material (it is Tyrion remembering how he looked at the dragon skulls, once) or by reasoning as I presented it above.

26 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

Do we have any reason to believe that dragons even mate? As in, do they reproduce sexually? It's entirely possible they produce young entirely via parthenogenesis. I'm not saying that's likely, I'm just saying it's pointless to speculate about something we have so little information about.

There is no real evidence for dragon-mating at this point, but considering that they apparently have two sexes I don't think it is strange to assume or speculate that they might be doing that kind of thing.

And there are some hints indicating that they might mate. The dance of the riderless dragons Seasmoke and Tessarion at Second Tumbleton - which is then interrupted by a furious Vermithor - might have been some kind of mating ritual. We have a number of dragons identified as female who laid eggs - Vhagar and Syrax - in addition to dragons identified as female who are not confirmed to have laid eggs - Tessarion, Moondancer, Meleys, Quicksilver.

That could be a hint that there are ways to differentiate a male from a female dragons, something experts on dragonlore might be doing when taking a look at hatchlings.

On 20/4/2018 at 11:24 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

.  I am going to go with the big assumption that no dragon ever mated with its parent, or grandparent (ack).  

I can assure that it's not unusual for dogs to mate with their parents. Many other mammals do that regularly. I'd assume that with lizards it'd be no different, and specially with a population as small as with the Westerosi dragon.

On 22/4/2018 at 2:37 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

(...)

The quote you are referring to is in Tyrion's second chapter in AGOT:

Tyrion had stood between their gaping jaws, wordless and awed. You could have ridden a horse down Vhaghar’s gullet, although you would not have ridden it out again. Meraxes was even bigger. And the greatest of them, Balerion, the Black Dread, could have swallowed an aurochs whole, or even one of the hairy mammoths said to roam the cold wastes beyond the Port of Ibben.

Is it possible that Tyrion (or Martin) were mistaken and Vhagar was biggest than Meraxes. But I don't see why  we have to assume that the older dragon has to be bigger. It isn't the case with most animals in real life (once they reach maturity), and in fact, it isn't the case in Westeros: Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegel were born at exactly the same time, and Drogon has been described as bigger since his birth.

21 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

It is rather weird, yes.

Meraxes was at her death larger than Vhagar - or rather, her head was larger, not necessarily. A larger animal could ride down Meraxes' throat than Vhagar's, basically.

What else this implies we actually do not know.

No, we don't know that Meraxes was ever larger than Balerion. It could be that Balerion was larger than Meraxes and Vhagar both at the Conquest, in 10 AC, at his death in 94 AC, and in 130 AC when Vhagar died.

We don't know whether dragons grow their entire lives or not. It could simply be that Balerion grew as large as he did before the Conquest and then stayed the same size the remainder of his life. And the same could go for Vhagar and Meraxes.

This way the whole thing can make sense.

What doesn't make a lot of sense is the assumption that Meraxes could have been (in any way) larger than Vhagar if Vhagar continued to grow in the 120 years she continued to live after Meraxes' death. But if neither Vhagar nor Meraxes were growing anymore when Meraxes died then those 120 years wouldn't have made any difference.

What is odd, though, is that Vhagar then would have grown to her monstrous size in a mere 50 years. She hatched in 52 BC, and the Wars of Conquest began in 2 BC.

Meraxes could have had the advantage of being somewhat older, considering that she could have hatched on Dragonstone immediately after Aenar the Exile and his children settled there (we know they brought Balerion and four other dragons with them from Valyria, but Vhagar and Meraxes both hatched on Dragonstone).

@Ran and @Linda apparently pointed that out to George, so he is aware of this inconsistency. One could repair it by either changing the published material (it is Tyrion remembering how he looked at the dragon skulls, once) or by reasoning as I presented it above.

The problem is that we know Balerion's approximate size during the Conquest. It was the size Vhagar reached at her death, 180 years later. So, since Meraxes was larger than that when she died, we know that Meraxes in 10AC was larger than Balerion had been in 0AC, a mere 10 years earlier.

And yet, we see that Balerion is much bigger than Meraxes when Tyrion examines the skulls. So clearly Balerion continued to grow significantly in the century or so of his life after the Conquest.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/grrm_book/fire-and-blood/

What really happened during the Dance of the Dragons? Why did it become so deadly to visit Valyria after the Doom? What is the origin of Daenerys’s three dragon eggs? These are but a few of the questions answered in this essential chronicle, as related by a learned maester of the Citadel and featuring more than eighty all-new black-and-white illustrations by artist Doug Wheatley. Readers have glimpsed small parts of this narrative in such volumes as The World of Ice & Fire, but now, for the first time, the full tapestry of Targaryen history is revealed.

2 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

That comes as a surprise. I don't know how this could possibly work. Gyldayn died long before Daenerys Targaryen's birth. I guess we could get a description of some dragon producing three eggs looking like Dany's - eggs that were then lost on Dragonstone, perhaps, resulting in King Aerys II recovering them shortly after Duskendale.

Or some other such thing. Chances are about zero that the way of Dany's dragon eggs from the parent dragon producing them to becoming her bride gifts are going to be recounted in that book.

10 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Couldn't that also just be marketing?

Yeah, I suggested that myself in another thread after rereading the blurb thing. It reads as if the person who has written it hasn't read the book at all.

We do know why Valyria isn't a place to hang out since (at least) ADwD.

24 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, I suggested that myself in another thread after rereading the blurb thing. It reads as if the person who has written it hasn't read the book at all.

We do know why Valyria isn't a place to hang out since (at least) ADwD.

Its called the Doom of Valyria for heaven's sake!

I think the bloodlust of the conquest combined with a surging Targaryen Dynasty would explain a lot about the dragons' growth abnormalities. They are magic after all, of this there is no doubt. The Valyrian dragons were surely reaching sizes larger than even Balerion if they are being used as even a median, which they surely were not at its height.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived