Who do bastards marry?

Lee-Sensei

I would say it relies on the various mitigating factors. Noble bastards might be stigmatised but they aren't worthless as marriage prospects. The Baratheons, the Longwaters and the Blackfyres all started as bastard branches of the Targaryans so provided they have at least one (preferably both) parents of high rank, a bastard can marry fairly well and begin his own legacy.

Someone like Gendry, who has no idea his father is a King and was never publicly acknowledged as such by Robert, marries whoever he can that's around of his mother's rank. Since he is already a commoner, it really doesn't matter either way. An unacknowledged bastard of a noblewoman, male or female, would probably have to marry down to the merchant classes who have a lot of financial clout and are looking for an "in" for a noble house.

A male bastard of a high-ranking (the highest, in fact) lord or the king who has been publically acknowledged could probably have the means to found his own house and marry a second- or third-daughter of one of their father's bannermen or the vassal houses. A female like "Alayne Stone" of the same standing might not be able to found her own house but can still make a claim on her father's assets given he is otherwise childless, meaning she can marry whoever she wants since the suitors would likely be coming to her.

Really, Jon Snow and Edric Storm are the "creme de la creme" of bastards. I actually think Ned would have counted Jon into his plans for the Gift had he had the chance. In many ways, after Bran's accident, Rickon's youth and Robb's death, Jon became a more attractive choice of heir for House Stark itself and therefore marriage candidate with or without Robb's will. Same with Edric -- House Baratheon is down to Shireen if Stannis dies, so seeing those two marry and Edric take the Baratheon name would be a viable step.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

In many ways, after Bran's accident, Rickon's youth and Robb's death, Jon became a more attractive choice of heir for House Stark itself and therefore marriage

Thing could have gotten real messy in a alternate timeline where Jon somehow doesn't join the Night's Watch because that is pretty much THE senario Cat had been afraid of ever since Ned brought Jon north.

The one and only real difference between a legitimised and acknowledged Bastard is inheritance. The latter does not inherit. So, depending upon circumstances, the difference between an acknowledged male bastard  and "not eldest" son may be nil.

Acknowledged Bastard girls probably are less valuable for alliances than Trueborns - but again this might vary depending on circumstances.

In an AU where Robb lives and Jon does not take the Black, Jon is a hot marriage prospect. Maybe he could marry the Manderly or Mormont or Tallhart or Cerwyn Heiress?

2 hours ago, Faera said:

I would say it relies on the various mitigating factors. Noble bastards might be stigmatised but they aren't worthless as marriage prospects. The Baratheons, the Longwaters and the Blackfyres all started as bastard branches of the Targaryans so provided they have at least one (preferably both) parents of high rank, a bastard can marry fairly well and begin his own legacy.

Someone like Gendry, who has no idea his father is a King and was never publicly acknowledged as such by Robert, marries whoever he can that's around of his mother's rank. Since he is already a commoner, it really doesn't matter either way. An unacknowledged bastard of a noblewoman, male or female, would probably have to marry down to the merchant classes who have a lot of financial clout and are looking for an "in" for a noble house.

A male bastard of a high-ranking (the highest, in fact) lord or the king who has been publically acknowledged could probably have the means to found his own house and marry a second- or third-daughter of one of their father's bannermen or the vassal houses. A female like "Alayne Stone" of the same standing might not be able to found her own house but can still make a claim on her father's assets given he is otherwise childless, meaning she can marry whoever she wants since the suitors would likely be coming to her.

Really, Jon Snow and Edric Storm are the "creme de la creme" of bastards. I actually think Ned would have counted Jon into his plans for the Gift had he had the chance. In many ways, after Bran's accident, Rickon's youth and Robb's death, Jon became a more attractive choice of heir for House Stark itself and therefore marriage candidate with or without Robb's will. Same with Edric -- House Baratheon is down to Shireen if Stannis dies, so seeing those two marry and Edric take the Baratheon name would be a viable step.

Rumored.

49 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Thing could have gotten real messy in a alternate timeline where Jon somehow doesn't join the Night's Watch because that is pretty much THE senario Cat had been afraid of ever since Ned brought Jon north.

That's exactly it. I mean, she was more willing to hand Winterfell over to some distant cousins in the Vale before she would consider Robb's idea of legitimising Jon so there is a personal vendetta to it as well but Catelyn's fears were not completely unfounded. No matter who Jon married, and odds are on Ned would have found him someone good, once he was married and had his own children, those children would be legitimate. The idea that the Northern lords would rally behind Jon or his sons over Catelyn's grandchildren for one reason or another isn't too far-fetched considering how quickly and easily a single generation can be reduced to barely any surviving members. Ned and Benjen, Sansa and Arya (officially)... it really doesn't take much.

4 hours ago, Faera said:

That's exactly it. I mean, she was more willing to hand Winterfell over to some distant cousins in the Vale before she would consider Robb's idea of legitimising Jon so there is a personal vendetta to it as well but Catelyn's fears were not completely unfounded. No matter who Jon married, and odds are on Ned would have found him someone good, once he was married and had his own children, those children would be legitimate. The idea that the Northern lords would rally behind Jon or his sons over Catelyn's grandchildren for one reason or another isn't too far-fetched considering how quickly and easily a single generation can be reduced to barely any surviving members. Ned and Benjen, Sansa and Arya (officially)... it really doesn't take much.

First and foremost the family of Jon's waifu and all Houses related that that house.

Since we are given specific examples of acknowledged bastards, one having a noble mother and the other is rumored to be from one, I can see many a noble of equal or lower standing lining up for marriage especially if they'll get lands.

I can even see vassal houses with no males arranging a marriage for their heir. Wyman may decide Jon would be a good husband for his granddaughter so he can suck up to  the Starks and keep the family name. Not even mentioning thr chance to get descendants from a male Stark ruling with his family name.

13 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I can even see vassal houses with no males arranging a marriage for their heir. Wyman may decide Jon would be a good husband for his granddaughter so he can suck up to  the Starks and keep the family name. Not even mentioning thr chance to get descendants from a male Stark ruling with his family name.

As you can see in my post - a few above yours - I fully agree.

It is not only sucking up to the Starks - it works both ways, the Manderly's gain too.

Besides serving customary stud duties, having the Lord/Lady Stark's favourite brother as Lady Manderly's Consort is politically beneficial.

I would expect that bastards in high standing are about as valuable marriage-wise as third or fourth legitimate heirs. So Jon could have a marriage about as good as Rickon would expect to get, maybe a little lower on the totem pole. Probably a daughter of a lesser vassal lord or a merchant's daughter. 

So maybe Jon would marry a Glover or Tallhart daughter. For contrast, we could assume Rickon would get a Manderly or Dustin daughter. Higher standing but still relatively low. 

6 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

Isn't Jon enjoying The Great Beyond, the Afterlife ATM?

Makes nuptials somewhat difficult ...

No that is a cliffhanger. Melisandre will heal him and then the story will bring him to Queen Danaerys and they will marry like Targaryens do. 

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

This isn't the show though. Besides, Dany will marry Stannis because no one is as manly and royal as him. Even his hair is in crown shape!

I think she'll fall for Tormund though.

Daenaerys likes the "noble savage" type.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, Bernie Mac said:

well they are, they are a Lordly house and were once kings, they are likely more prestigious than House Frey

Just as the marriage to the bastard of any prominent noble would, OP's asking about Jon Snow and Edric Storm, they would easily be able to find nobles wives given who their fathers are

the same could be said for the cousins of main branches. 

Hmm... that's all true. I'm convinced by your points. :) 

On 24/04/2018 at 8:00 PM, Lee-Sensei said:

Rumored.

Glad you pointed this out. People just assume he was a known bastard. It's all rumours.

What I tend imagine happened was something like this. There was a retainer of the Targaryan's whose last name was Baratheon (I'm going to call him Mr Baratheon as I don't know if was a lord, knight or just some guy). He had a wife. They had a kid. The suspicion was the Aeron Targaryan was the father not Mr Baratheon. Maybe Mr Baratheon was away on a journey and the conception didn't line up, or Mr Baratheon was too old to reliably conceive, or just maybe Aeron spent way too much time around Mrs Baratheon than was appropriate because she was attractive, etc.

Either way he grows up technically as a Legitimate Baratheon, but may actually be an illegitimate Targaryan. That's another kind of bastardy that can happen, that doesn't get touched on much (like the kids of Rhaenyra were likely Strongs not Velaryons).

2 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

Glad you pointed this out. People just assume he was a known bastard. It's all rumours.

True, to a point, I think.

Given the writing style of the novels, I think the only reason it's mentioned is because it's - within the world - a fairly known and open secret. Otherwise... why bring it up?

Archived