Secret Targ - possibly crackpot

Yukle

I was rereading through some of my favourite moments in the books, like the Battle of Blackwater and all of the bits with Arya. And - call me crazy - but I actually finally believe one of these secret Targ theories.

So you know Dany? She's sort of a minor character, who spends most of her time in Essos making the wrong decisions. Well I reckon she's actually a Targaryen. Here's the evidence I was thinking of:

• Her name is Daenerys, which is really similar to Viserys Targaryen, her older brother who is definitely a Targ.
  • Daenerys' full name is Daenerys Targaryen, and that's the same name as Daenerys Targaryen, also known as "the Dreamer" who was the Targ who convinced the others to move away from Essos before the Doom. Why would she have the same name unless she was also a Targ?
  • After she marries Drogo, Dany gets three dragon eggs. What's the Targaryen symbol? A three headed dragon. This one's a bit of a stretch, I know, because the eggs actually have three dragons who have one head, and none of them have just one dragon with three heads, but I think the symbolism matters.
  • Dany's parents were Aerys and Rhaella. Both of them were Targs, because Aerys is actually Aerys II, who was the "Mad King."
  • She sometimes gets called "Queen". Now obviously this is because she conquers Mereen in a swift and efficient campaign containing no superfluous plot points and proclaims herself queen, but what if - incredibly - she's actually Queen as in Queen of Westeros, because she's the last surviving Targaryen and would consider herself Queen of the Seven Kingdoms?
  • And finally, at the back of the book in the appendices, Dany is listed under House Targaryen. It's really subtle and clever, because it's hidden away in the back of the book, which like, no one reads because there aren't that many characters and it's easy to keep track of them all.

I'm like 90% sold on this. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

We really need new material. :P 

There was a period about a month ago or so when I made GRRM's blog my homepage. Just in case. Now it's back to the news, so at least I get something.

7 hours ago, Yukle said:

I was rereading through some of my favourite moments in the books, like the Battle of Blackwater and all of the bits with Arya. And - call me crazy - but I actually finally believe one of these secret Targ theories.

So you know Dany? She's sort of a minor character, who spends most of her time in Essos making the wrong decisions. Well I reckon she's actually a Targaryen. Here's the evidence I was thinking of:

• Her name is Daenerys, which is really similar to Viserys Targaryen, her older brother who is definitely a Targ.
  • Daenerys' full name is Daenerys Targaryen, and that's the same name as Daenerys Targaryen, also known as "the Dreamer" who was the Targ who convinced the others to move away from Essos before the Doom. Why would she have the same name unless she was also a Targ?
  • After she marries Drogo, Dany gets three dragon eggs. What's the Targaryen symbol? A three headed dragon. This one's a bit of a stretch, I know, because the eggs actually have three dragons who have one head, and none of them have just one dragon with three heads, but I think the symbolism matters.
  • Dany's parents were Aerys and Rhaella. Both of them were Targs, because Aerys is actually Aerys II, who was the "Mad King."
  • She sometimes gets called "Queen". Now obviously this is because she conquers Mereen in a swift and efficient campaign containing no superfluous plot points and proclaims herself queen, but what if - incredibly - she's actually Queen as in Queen of Westeros, because she's the last surviving Targaryen and would consider herself Queen of the Seven Kingdoms?
  • And finally, at the back of the book in the appendices, Dany is listed under House Targaryen. It's really subtle and clever, because it's hidden away in the back of the book, which like, no one reads because there aren't that many characters and it's easy to keep track of them all.

Lol at this entire post, but seriously in regards to the bolded part, her name was Daenys, not Daenerys.

14 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

We really need new material. :P 

The targ history book is being released this year hopefully, and although wee will be no closer to the completion of a more than 2 decade old story, maybe Dany's heritage can be gleaned from the book that isn't winds that he has been working on 

14 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Lol at this entire post, but seriously in regards to the bolded part, her name was Daenys, not Daenerys.

Dammit, I can't believe I made that mistake. Now the whole theory is down the drain. Back to seeing if Aerys really fathered Joffrey or something.

4 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

... maybe Dany's heritage can be gleaned from the book that isn't winds that he has been working on 

I reckon it'll be one of those ones that's not really resolved, it's just for really clever fans like me who pick it up by myself.

7 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

What? Nah....!

Next you're gonna tell us that the Mountain and the Hound are brothers (anybody remember that thread? :P)

Still I like this thread better than 95% of other crackpot threads.

Give it another few hours and someone will disagree about Dany's parents and mean it. ;)

On 23.4.2018 at 1:20 AM, Yukle said:

You should add 20 more arguments to your point. That way people may not find the two arguments about her brother and parents that make her Targ. And you should start some stupid discussion about something (examples work best), loose the argument and then your entire theory becomes bullshit. That way we have finally proven that "Dany is no Targ". Because of an insignificant detail. 

16 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

^What he said.

Also; is this even a theory if it doesn't quote entire chapters et verbatim, highlighting random words using HTML colours? 

Quoting larger bands of text is important because GRRM often leaves clues in nearby text and entirely too many folks here will yank sentences or even just phrases out of context and attach a completely different meaning to them to support whatever theory.

Littlefinger being all about chaos is good example I see entirely too often: “ it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos.”

But if we look at the larger text, it’s all about chaos being inflicted on Littlefinger’s plans which has an entirely different meaning. But I won’t pull the larger quote with context complete with various highlighting to make it easy for you as you don't like it: you’ll have to take my word for it and buy it how I present it (very inaccurately), look it up yourself, or just ignore it. :D

@Yukle

Nice effort here. However, when someone comes up with one of these crackpot x + z =f ideas we have to ask ourselves, "does it make sense/add to the story?" 

So, let's pretend (just for a second) that Dany is a secret Targ. She would be the last living Targ. Does that add to the story? Does it make sense to follow around a character trying to reclaim her ancestor's throne? Or, does it make more sense to have her be the daughter of Brandon and Lysa trying to take over the throne?

Remember, <insert something about George breaking, hating, or flipping the usual tropes in his stories>. 

I am sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you. This crackpot does not hold water. 

Archived