Secret Targ - possibly crackpot

Yukle

On April 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Yukle said:

I was rereading through some of my favourite moments in the books, like the Battle of Blackwater and all of the bits with Arya. And - call me crazy - but I actually finally believe one of these secret Targ theories.

So you know Dany? She's sort of a minor character, who spends most of her time in Essos making the wrong decisions. Well I reckon she's actually a Targaryen. Here's the evidence I was thinking of:

• Her name is Daenerys, which is really similar to Viserys Targaryen, her older brother who is definitely a Targ.
  • Daenerys' full name is Daenerys Targaryen, and that's the same name as Daenerys Targaryen, also known as "the Dreamer" who was the Targ who convinced the others to move away from Essos before the Doom. Why would she have the same name unless she was also a Targ?
  • After she marries Drogo, Dany gets three dragon eggs. What's the Targaryen symbol? A three headed dragon. This one's a bit of a stretch, I know, because the eggs actually have three dragons who have one head, and none of them have just one dragon with three heads, but I think the symbolism matters.
  • Dany's parents were Aerys and Rhaella. Both of them were Targs, because Aerys is actually Aerys II, who was the "Mad King."
  • She sometimes gets called "Queen". Now obviously this is because she conquers Mereen in a swift and efficient campaign containing no superfluous plot points and proclaims herself queen, but what if - incredibly - she's actually Queen as in Queen of Westeros, because she's the last surviving Targaryen and would consider herself Queen of the Seven Kingdoms?
  • And finally, at the back of the book in the appendices, Dany is listed under House Targaryen. It's really subtle and clever, because it's hidden away in the back of the book, which like, no one reads because there aren't that many characters and it's easy to keep track of them all.

I'm like 90% sold on this. Thoughts?

OMG I almost thought the was true :D

On 4/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, Yukle said:

There was a period about a month ago or so when I made GRRM's blog my homepage. Just in case. Now it's back to the news, so at least I get something.

Can't recall the last time I checked Martin's blog. I figure if a date is announced, the internet will blow up and I'll notice.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, Orphalesion said:

^What he said.

Also; is this even a theory if it doesn't quote entire chapters et verbatim, highlighting random words using HTML colours? 

For added emphasis, I should also double space and put in large indentations on the left, and leave the text blocks in the original format from the reddit post I found them in, so that they're even harder to read on this forum.

On 4/24/2018 at 11:14 PM, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

So, let's pretend (just for a second) that Dany is a secret Targ. She would be the last living Targ. Does that add to the story? Does it make sense to follow around a character trying to reclaim her ancestor's throne? Or, does it make more sense to have her be the daughter of Brandon and Lysa trying to take over the throne?

Yeah, you're right. I'm pretty sure that Dany's story isn't about retaking thrones. She's on the quest for the longest name in Westeros/Essos history. She's halfway there, I think the record is 416 names and titles.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, Yukle said:

Dammit, I can't believe I made that mistake. Now the whole theory is down the drain. Back to seeing if Aerys really fathered Joffrey or something.

Wait, don't give up so easily! I found some incredible, amazing hints that may come close to proving your theory!

First there WAS another Daenerys who was a Targaryen. And she was in love with a guy whose name started with D, and she ended up in an arranged marriage for political reasons, and went to Dorne. Now I know Dany isn't in Dorne, but she's in an arranged marriage, and in love with a guy named Daario. Before Daario she was in love with Drogo. Coincidence? I think not. It's clearly only a matter of time until she goes to Dorne. 

Now, more evidence. It's really amazing no one else has figured this out, by the way. Kudos on your detective work!

Daenerys has purple eyes. She might be a Dayne, cause sometimes they have purple eyes. But...she also has silver hair, which is a trait of Valyrian families. Now everyone knows the Targaryens were from Dragonstone, so that's a bit of a hiccup, but I'm sure if we look hard enough, we'll find a connection between them and Valyria. I mean, they probably ordered their dragons from MaecMaeurry's Hatchery there, and maybe one of the Targ girls fell for the cute delivery guy or something.

Daenerys likes it hot. And so did that Egg kid. And Egg palled around with a guy called Dunk. Dunk begins with D. Daenerys begins with D. And she got eggs, which start with E and are close to the word egg. Also D and E are right next to each other in the alphabet. I think this bit here is a slam dunk.

Daenerys had dreams. And the only people who have dreams in this series are Starks, Targaryens, and people using weirwoods for pillows. There are no weirwoods around in Essos, so that's out. This one actually bothers me a bit because silver is like white and that's a Stark color. The only reason I feel fairly comfortable dismissing Dany as a Stark is because she likes heat and doesn't have a two syllable name like all the Starks do--this also makes me think Robb is adopted, possibly the not-really-aborted child of Lysa Tully and Robert Baratheon.

Dany's eyes are said to look like amethysts, and her brother is a jerk. The Amethyst Empress also had a brother who was a jerk. Since only royalty in the series have connections to both amethysts and jerky brothers, this could be another link in the chain connecting Dany to House Targaryen.

In addition to rhyming with Viserys, Dany's name also rhymes with Jaehaerys. It also rhymes with Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Monterys which are Velaryon names, but the Velaryons are known for their fleet of ships, and Dany hardly owns any ships, so she can't be a Velaryon.

What do you think, is any of this helpful?

9 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

First there WAS another Daenerys who was a Targaryen. And she was in love with a guy whose name started with D, and she ended up in an arranged marriage for political reasons, and went to Dorne. Now I know Dany isn't in Dorne, but she's in an arranged marriage, and in love with a guy named Daario. Before Daario she was in love with Drogo. Coincidence? I think not. It's clearly only a matter of time until she goes to Dorne. 

Now, more evidence. It's really amazing no one else has figured this out, by the way. Kudos on your detective work!

Daenerys has purple eyes. She might be a Dayne, cause sometimes they have purple eyes. But...she also has silver hair, which is a trait of Valyrian families. Now everyone knows the Targaryens were from Dragonstone, so that's a bit of a hiccup, but I'm sure if we look hard enough, we'll find a connection between them and Valyria. I mean, they probably ordered their dragons from MaecMaeurry's Hatchery there, and maybe one of the Targ girls fell for the cute delivery guy or something.

In order to prove this further, has anyone read the French versions? Are the D and E being next to each other in the French alphabets also things? Is it even called an alphabet in French? They put adjectives last. Maybe it's le betalpha.

9 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Daenerys had dreams. And the only people who have dreams in this series are Starks, Targaryens, and people using weirwoods for pillows. There are no weirwoods around in Essos, so that's out. This one actually bothers me a bit because silver is like white and that's a Stark color. The only reason I feel fairly comfortable dismissing Dany as a Stark is because she likes heat and doesn't have a two syllable name like all the Starks do--this also makes me think Robb is adopted, possibly the not-really-aborted child of Lysa Tully and Robert Baratheon.

There's nothing stopping Dany being the child of a Targ and a Stark, though. She's probably the offspring of one of the Sand Snakes and Jon Snow.

But I don't think she's a non-Stark because it's really obvious in this passage from a Dance with Dragons.

“Allow me to give my lord one last piece of counsel," the old man had said, "the same counsel I once gave my brother when we parted for the last time. He was three-and-thirty when the Great Council chose him to mount the Iron Throne. A man grown with sons of his own, yet in some ways still a boy. Egg had an innocence to him, a sweetness we all loved. Kill the boy within you, I told him the day I took ship for the Wall. It takes a man to rule. An Aegon, not an Egg. Kill the boy and let the man be born." The old man felt Jon's face. "You are half the age that Egg was, and your own burden is crueler one, I fear. You will have little joy of your command, but I think you have the strength in you to do the things that must be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.” 

(Emphasis mine).

Now, if you focus especially on the words I've coloured red, you'll notice that none of those words say that Dany was NOT a Stark.

All it says is, "He was three-and-thirty still a boy. Egg had The old man felt Jon's face. almost"

That's just complete nonsense, showing that your idea Dany is probably a Stark is also nonsense. How much shame do you feel? I hope that it's a lot in the face of such evidence.

And, if you notice, arranging the passage so that it's only the parts I highlighted in purple, the message is "Dany Snow Boy."

Which sounds like, "Dany's no boy." So if she's not a Stark, how come it also says that she's not a boy?! Checkmate.

13 minutes ago, Yukle said:

In order to prove this further, has anyone read the French versions? Are the D and E being next to each other in the French alphabets also things? Is it even called an alphabet in French? They put adjectives last. Maybe it's le betalpha.

There's nothing stopping Dany being the child of a Targ and a Stark, though. She's probably the offspring of one of the Sand Snakes and Jon Snow.

But I don't think she's a non-Stark because it's really obvious in this passage from a Dance with Dragons.

(Emphasis mine).

Now, if you focus especially on the words I've coloured red, you'll notice that none of those words say that Dany was NOT a Stark.

All it says is, "He was three-and-thirty still a boy. Egg had The old man felt Jon's face. almost"

That's just complete nonsense, showing that your idea Dany is probably a Stark is also nonsense. How much shame do you feel? I hope that it's a lot in the face of such evidence.

And, if you notice, arranging the passage so that it's only the parts I highlighted in purple, the message is "Dany Snow Boy."

Which sounds like, "Dany's no boy." So if she's not a Stark, how come it also says that she's not a boy?! Checkmate.

:eek:  Wait a minute...I was offering evidence for your theory, not trying to disprove it.  :huh:  :dunno:  

Besides, there's no checkmate in cyvasse, so obviously Jon's being the son of Euron Greyjoy and Sheira Seaster has no bearing on the theory.

2 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

:eek:  Wait a minute...I was offering evidence for your theory, not trying to disprove it.  :huh:  :dunno:  

Besides, there's no checkmate in cyvasse, so obviously Jon's being the son of Euron Greyjoy and Sheira Seaster has no bearing on the theory.

Dammit, bested again. Theories are hard. You know what else is hard? Stone. Dany's dragon eggs feel like stone. So do people with Greyscale. Therefore Shiera Seastar can't be Benjen Stark because Melisandre wasn't even born in Skagos.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, Yukle said:

Dammit, bested again. Theories are hard. You know what else is hard? Stone. Dany's dragon eggs feel like stone. So do people with Greyscale. Therefore Shiera Seastar can't be Benjen Stark because Melisandre wasn't even born in Skagos.

An excellent point. Now if we could just figure out how Ashara ties into this, we'd be set.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Orphalesion said:

What? Nah....!

Next you're gonna tell us that the Mountain and the Hound are brothers (anybody remember that thread? :P)

Still I like this thread better than 95% of other crackpot threads.

I remember... never seen a more wacky theory. What has this fandom devolved to?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, StarkofWinterfell said:

Wait why are joke posts like this allowed?

You also gonna ask that in the next thread that's proposing an alternate parentage for Dany (i.e. anything but her actual parents, Aerys II and Rhaella Targaryen) or an alternate parentage for Jon (again, anything but his actual parents, Rhaegar and Lyanna)? Or the next thread that proposes Daario is Euron is Mance Rayder is Rhaegar is Quaithe?

Because this joke thread is a lot more entertaining than those joke threads.

Archived