Is Dany going to sack more cities?

Gendarrion

There are lots of cities in Essos that could use a good sacking, but I don't think Dany's the one to do it. While some fans have turned on Dany and don't like the Meereen storyline, I'm very invested in it and think Dany's a good character backed in a corner. People think Dany is going to become a mad queen. Why? She's has done nothing but help the innocent.  My view is that the world is progressing, and if these slaver cities and valaryian freeholds don't want to change with it, they can be ground into dust. The Giscari culture has lingered too long in a world it does not belong in, and they preach for only the return of old times and continuation of slavery. Plus they will not relent until Dany and her dragon, remnants of the Valyrian empire that defeated them in the past, are destroyed. Dany will probably continue to be peaceful, but some of her allies are made for war. I predict Victarion destroying some cities. Yunkaii is practically asking for a sacking. Mantarys, Elyria and Tolos can fuck off to. Quarth is a bit far away, but it may be time for that city to go. My pick is on Volantis though, if a slave uprising doesn't happen first. 

As for Pentos, that's a rough call for Barristan. that's my favorite freehold besides Bravos, so I hope it doesn't get razed. looks like the honorable Ser barristan is going to have to decide between keeping his word to a cutthroat who he'll have no more use for and would betray him without a second thought and the well being of an innocent city. 

44 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

It's a promise Barristan makes, not Dany. Also, Dany has always distrusted Illyrio. If Tyrion reveals Illyrio's plot to her, she would be the least surprised person in the room. If she remembers her Undying visions, then she'd know that Aegon is fAgeon. Or at least, free fAegeon from Illyrio's control. 

Right. Barristan promises it on her behalf, in his self appointed position as "The Queen's Hand". If she refuses then it's Barristan who is dishonoured, even though he only had her best interests at heart. That's exactly what I'm saying.

Dany refused to accept the Tattered Prince's deal before based entirely on Illyrio's previous acts of friendship. She may have distrusted him but I doubt she has any clue just how deep his manipulations went: The guy convinced Viserys to *sell* her to raise an army of savages and then just handed Aegon the Golden Company. You don't think she's going to be angry about that? Not to mention the years that she and Viserys lived as beggars while Illyrio gave Aegon everything he could possibly want.

I don't think Aegon's legitimacy has any real relevance to what I've said. If Varys description of him is in anyway accurate then, real or fake, he'll feel obligated to stop "The Mad Queen" invading Westeros.

41 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh, so she betrayed her brother for a crown of gold. I like it. What about the other two? 

Well I’m not at all positive, but if I had to spitball:

3 treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love

Once for Blood: Viserys draws a blade in Vas Dothrak where shedding blood is forbidden, he threatens to kill Dany’s Unborn Son (blood), and of course he is Dany’s Blood, blood of the dragon.

Once for Gold: Glowing like the Sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue eyed king who cast no shadow... Given that Westeros is the Sunset Kingdoms, This I believe will be Dany’s treason for a gold crown which is not rightfully hers.

Once for Love: Her silver trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars... And the white/grey horse at a darkling stream beneath the stars, screams Lyanna to me almost as much as a blue rose or a dying prince whispering names...  mostly I think this points to her being Lyanna’s daughter and like her mother she will commit treason for love (going out on a limb, i’d say she will be already married when she meets Jon).

8 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Well I’m not at all positive, but if I had to spitball:

3 treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love

Once for Blood: Viserys draws a blade in Vas Dothrak where shedding blood is forbidden, he threatens to kill Dany’s Unborn Son (blood), and of course he is Dany’s Blood, blood of the dragon.

Once for Gold: Glowing like the Sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue eyed king who cast no shadow... Given that Westeros is the Seven Kingdoms, This I believe will be Dany’s treason for a gold crown which is not rightfully hers.

Once for Love: Her silver trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars... And the white/grey horse at a darkling stream beneath the stars, screams Lyanna to me almost as much as a blue rose or a dying prince whispering names...  mostly I think this points to her being Lyanna’s daughter and like her mother she will commit treason for love (going out on a limb, i’d say she will be already married when she meets Jon).

Those are certainly different. 

I don’t think so. Wasn’t one of her main motives is to free slaves? Sacking any of the Free Cities would be a total waste of time and resources, unless she finds some profit in doing so. She’d also have a great deal of trouble in ruling a new city and that will delay her Westeros mission.

32 minutes ago, Lady Jowana said:

I don’t think so. Wasn’t one of her main motives is to free slaves? Sacking any of the Free Cities would be a total waste of time and resources, unless she finds some profit in doing so. She’d also have a great deal of trouble in ruling a new city and that will delay her Westeros mission.

Common misconception... the Free Cities does not mean they freed their slaves.

The are free of Valyria (and maybe weirwoods) but Lys, for instance, is famous for its slaves. Braavos is the opposite, a city founded by escaped slaves, while Pentos waffles, currently forbidding slaves although this doesn’t stop Illyrio having plenty in all but (and pretty much including) name.

Sack to you. Liberate to me.  

Volantis is in need of liberating.  The slaves will do that on their own.  They have the numbers and only need a signal from The Mother to get them started.  Meereen is the battle ground and where the future of the slave trade will be decided.  A complete victory for Team Dany in Meereen will inspire a slave revolt all over Essos and put an end to slavery in most places.  

Daenerys Targaryen is the last proven descendant of the Dragonlords of Valyria.  By rights, she can make a claim for all of the territories ruled by Old Valyria.  A claim is no good unless it's backed by sufficient force to make it stick and this is where the dragons and the Unsullied will play their most important roles.

42 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Daenerys Targaryen is the last proven descendant of the Dragonlords of Valyria.  By rights, she can make a claim for all of the territories ruled by Old Valyria.  A claim is no good unless it's backed by sufficient force to make it stick and this is where the dragons and the Unsullied will play their most important roles.

:P:D I hesitate between "pathetic" and "hilarious". The Dragonlords of Valyria, the worst slavers ever… talk about an heritage, for the "Breaker of Chains"…

And with such a  timetable she'll go to Westeros in the 9th or 10th book… around 2025…

On 4/24/2018 at 0:48 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Do you have quotes to show that Barristan mistrusts Illyrio? 

It doesn't matter if Barristan trusts or mistrusts Illyrio. He will have to do what Dany tells him to do in this case, given that she is the queen. Barristan may not know Illyrio the way Dany does anyway. 

3 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

It doesn't matter if Barristan trusts or mistrusts Illyrio. He will have to do what Dany tells him to do in this case, given that she is the queen. Barristan may not know Illyrio the way Dany does anyway. 

Which is?

As far as I can see Dany knows Illyrio just as much as Barristan does, which is not at all. Even, we, the readers, only know that he's a manipulative snake because he told Tyrion what his plans actually were. Dany has no idea what he truly is.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:55 AM, LiveFirstDieLater said:

And admitting Viserys will never be king is the first of the three treasons she will know...

Waking up to the truth isn't treason. Viserys would never have gotten the support needed to invade Westeros successfully. 

1 hour ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Which is?

As far as I can see Dany knows Illyrio just as much as Barristan does, which is not at all. Even, we, the readers, only know that he's a manipulative snake because he told Tyrion what his plans actually were. Dany has no idea what he truly is.

She has an inkling that Illyrio is a liar. She wonders what his end game is in GoT. She doesn't trust him at all. Barristan, on the other hand, hasn't even met him. 

6 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Both Daenerys and Barristan consider Illyrio to be an ally. 

1 hour ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

She has an inkling that Illyrio is a liar. She wonders what his end game is in GoT. She doesn't trust him at all. Barristan, on the other hand, hasn't even met him. 

But in Dance she thinks of him as a friend and ally. I think her mistrustful musings in Game were more designed for the reader to question Illyrio's motives. 

Dany Khan uniting the Khalasars and unleashing them on Essos is inevitable.  I don't really want to read a book dedicated heavily to that story line, but it's obvious that is where Martin is headed with it.  I'm guessing her path will be Vaes Dothrak, then back to Meereen with her new Khalasar just in time to take out/take over the Volantis fleet, then it's on to Volantis itself, then onto Pentos, and finally crossing the Narrow Sea.   

Volantis for sure is gonna get got.  Tyrion speculated on how he would take it with a khalasar in Dance, so maybe he will offer up the strategy that Dany uses to take it. 

The Imp's gotta Demonstrate Value.  That's the first part of his foolproof system to win Dany over.  

37 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

I did a search earlier and I can only find one instance of Dany asking Viserys what Illryio wanted and a whole lot more of her defending him when Jorah says she can't trust him.

Barristan has met Illyrio. In fact it was Illyrio who sent him to Dany in the first place.

19 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Volantis for sure is gonna get got.  Tyrion speculated on how he would take it with a khalasar in Dance, so maybe he will offer up the strategy that Dany uses to take it. 

The Imp's gotta Demonstrate Value.  That's the first part of his foolproof system to win Dany over.  

Sounds about right. 

On 4/30/2018 at 3:46 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

But in Dance she thinks of him as a friend and ally. I think her mistrustful musings in Game were more designed for the reader to question Illyrio's motives. 

Not really. He's more familiar to her I suppose. Maybe this time Dany saying Illyrio is an ally is just foreplay for the eventual mummer's dragon , supposed to be shocking. 

On 4/30/2018 at 4:15 AM, UnFit Finlay said:

I did a search earlier and I can only find one instance of Dany asking Viserys what Illryio wanted and a whole lot more of her defending him when Jorah says she can't trust him.

Where does this happen? 

In GoT's early chapters, Dany generally mistrusts Illyrio and questions why he keeps giving Viserys gifts:

Dany had no agents, no way of knowing what anyone was doing or thinking across the narrow sea, but she mistrusted Illyrio’s sweet words as she mistrusted everything about Illyrio. [GoT, Daenerys I]

Archived