Is Dany going to sack more cities?

Gendarrion

53 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Not really. He's more familiar to her I suppose. Maybe this time Dany saying Illyrio is an ally is just foreplay for the eventual mummer's dragon , supposed to be shocking. 

Where does this happen? 

In GoT's early chapters, Dany generally mistrusts Illyrio and questions why he keeps giving Viserys gifts:

Clash - Daenerys III

"House Targaryen has friends in the Free Cities," she reminded him. "Truer friends than Xaro or the Pureborn."
"If you mean Illyrio Mopatis, I wonder. For sufficient gold, Illyrio would sell you as quickly as he would a slave."
"My brother and I were guests in Illyrio's manse for half a year. If he meant to sell us, he could have done it then."
"He did sell you," Ser Jorah said. "To Khal Drogo."
Dany flushed. He had the truth of it, but she did not like the sharpness with which he put it. "Illyrio protected us from the Usurper's knives, and he believed in my brother's cause."
"Illyrio believes in no cause but Illyrio. Gluttons are greedy men as a rule, and magisters are devious. Illyrio Mopatis is both. What do you truly know of him?"
"I know that he gave me my dragon eggs."

Storm - Daenerys I

Dany gave the dragons the rest of the salt pork to squabble over, and patted the bed beside her. "Sit, good ser, and tell me what is troubling you."
"Three things." Ser Jorah sat. "Strong Belwas. This Arstan Whitebeard. And Illyrio Mopatis, who sent them."
Again? Dany pulled the coverlet higher and tugged one end over her shoulder. "And why is that?"
The exile knight did not return her smile. "These are Illyrio's ships, Illyrio's captains, Illyrio's sailors . . . and Strong Belwas and Arstan are his men as well, not yours."
"Magister Illyrio has protected me in the past. Strong Belwas says that he wept when he heard my brother was dead."
"Yes," said Mormont, "but did he weep for Viserys, or for the plans he had made with him?"
"His plans need not change. Magister Illyrio is a friend to House Targaryen, and wealthy . . ."
"He was not born wealthy. In the world as I have seen it, no man grows rich by kindness. The warlocks said the second treason would be for gold. What does Illyrio Mopatis love more than gold?"
"His skin." Across the cabin Drogon stirred restlessly, steam rising from his snout. "Mirri Maz Duur betrayed me. I burned her for it."
"Mirri Maz Duur was in your power. In Pentos, you shall be in Illyrio's power. It is not the same. I know the magister as well as you. He is a devious man, and clever—"
Dany drew her legs up beneath the blanket. "You will protect me. You, and my bloodriders."
"Four men? Khaleesi, you believe you know Illyrio Mopatis, very well. Yet you insist on surrounding yourself with men you do not know, like this puffed-up eunuch and the world's oldest squire. Take a lesson from Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos."
He means well, Dany reminded herself. He does all he does for love. "It seems to me that a queen who trusts no one is as foolish as a queen who trusts everyone. Every man I take into my service is a risk, I understand that, but how am I to win the Seven Kingdoms without such risks? Am I to conquer Westeros with one exile knight and three Dothraki bloodriders?"

Dance - Daenerys IX

"He would be willing to wait, the woman Meris suggested. Until we march for Westeros."
And if I never march for Westeros? "Pentos belongs to the Pentoshi. And Magister Illyrio is in Pentos. He who arranged my marriage to Khal Drogo and gave me my dragon eggs. Who sent me you, and Belwas, and Groleo. I owe him much and more. I will not repay that debt by giving his city to some sellsword. No."
Ser Barristan inclined his head. "Your Grace is wise."

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Not really. He's more familiar to her I suppose. Maybe this time Dany saying Illyrio is an ally is just foreplay for the eventual mummer's dragon , supposed to be shocking. 

Where does this happen? 

In GoT's early chapters, Dany generally mistrusts Illyrio and questions why he keeps giving Viserys gifts:

I think it's in Clash when they are contemplating their next move in Qarth, or maybe after they board Groleo's ships, and Jorah advises her to procure her own army before returning to the west. 

On 5/2/2018 at 0:20 AM, UnFit Finlay said:

Clash - Daenerys III

Storm - Daenerys I

Dance - Daenerys IX

So her sentiment dramatically changes from GoT? Jorah in Clash is only telling Dany what she already knows. I think she may feel like she owes him, but her sense of gratitude doesn't necessarily translate to trust. She keeps telling herself that Illyrio did this and that, but I highly doubt she would ever do as he tells her to based on blind trust. 

On 05/05/2018 at 4:37 PM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

So her sentiment dramatically changes from GoT? Jorah in Clash is only telling Dany what she already knows. I think she may feel like she owes him, but her sense of gratitude doesn't necessarily translate to trust. She keeps telling herself that Illyrio did this and that, but I highly doubt she would ever do as he tells her to based on blind trust. 

Yes.

Everything about Dany changes from GoT. At the point you're quoting from she'd spent her whole life living in fear, running from place to place and constantly being let down by people simply because they got bored of her. Her only true companion was her abusive, insane brother. It would be surprising if she wasn't suspicious of Illyrio, or anyone who showed her kindness.

By Clash, she's a Queen and a Khaleesi. She's been in love, watched her brother die and killed her husband. She's become a leader of people, hatched dragons and survived the Red Waste and the House of the Undying.

I'm not sure what you mean by the your last part. I've never suggest that she would just do anything Illyrio tells her to. In fact most of the quotes I posted are from a conversation where she specifically goes against Illyrio's wishes. What I am saying is that, when Tyrion tells her EXACTLY what Illyrio's plans for her were, she is going to be beyond furious. She might not trust Illyrio blindly but there's no way that she even suspects the true depths of his betrayal. If she did he'd already be on fire by now.

I mean, holy crap, the guy convinced her brother to sell her, like cattle, to try and win a Throne while actively plotting against him. He arranged the marriage to Drogo, fully believing that Dany would die horribly, just to provide a DISTRACTION. He let her and her brother go hungry and beggar themselves across Essos while giving Aegon everything he could ever need.

I'm not even sure that even we know how much Illyrio and Varys been manipulating Dany. Were the non-existent "Usurpers Knives" merely Viserys paranoia or was Illyrio using his influence to give the Targaryens just enough food and shelter to survive, while preventing them from ever setting down roots. After all, the last thing they wanted was for Viserys to make friends, meet a girl and decide to settle down and be a fisherman or whatever.

8 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Yes.

Everything about Dany changes from GoT. At the point you're quoting from she'd spent her whole life living in fear, running from place to place and constantly being let down by people simply because they got bored of her. Her only true companion was her abusive, insane brother. It would be surprising if she wasn't suspicious of Illyrio, or anyone who showed her kindness.

By Clash, she's a Queen and a Khaleesi. She's been in love, watched her brother die and killed her husband. She's become a leader of people, hatched dragons and survived the Red Waste and the House of the Undying.

I'm not sure what you mean by the your last part. I've never suggest that she would just do anything Illyrio tells her to. In fact most of the quotes I posted are from a conversation where she specifically goes against Illyrio's wishes. What I am saying is that, when Tyrion tells her EXACTLY what Illyrio's plans for her were, she is going to be beyond furious. She might not trust Illyrio blindly but there's no way that she even suspects the true depths of his betrayal. If she did he'd already be on fire by now.

I mean, holy crap, the guy convinced her brother to sell her, like cattle, to try and win a Throne while actively plotting against him. He arranged the marriage to Drogo, fully believing that Dany would die horribly, just to provide a DISTRACTION. He let her and her brother go hungry and beggar themselves across Essos while giving Aegon everything he could ever need.

I'm not even sure that even we know how much Illyrio and Varys been manipulating Dany. Were the non-existent "Usurpers Knives" merely Viserys paranoia or was Illyrio using his influence to give the Targaryens just enough food and shelter to survive, while preventing them from ever setting down roots. After all, the last thing they wanted was for Viserys to make friends, meet a girl and decide to settle down and be a fisherman or whatever.

Well said.  Even in the quotes defending Dany's support of Ilyrio, there is the quote where she acknowledges the fact that Ilyrio sold her, like currency, to purchase an army.  Viserys rubbed it in, cruelly, and Ilyrio sweetened the deal with his gifts, but in the end, she was sold in a transaction not unlike any other slave trade.

Dany knew before Jorah told her, but in her youth she was afraid to say things aloud, lest they become true.  The Queen of Slaver's Bay has no misconceptions or false idealism about her relationship with Ilyrio.  Has he presented himself as a friend to House Targaryan, and acted accordingly?  Yes.  Are his motives altruistic?  Likely not.  And she knows it.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, White Ravens said:

If she does any more sacking I hope it is cities like King's Landing and Oldtown.

:D

There won't be any need.  The Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons have done their damage to the kingdom.   The fighting between Cersei and the High Sparrow can't lead to anything good.  

Anyway, The Unsullied do not sack cities.  Dany values her world-class infantry for this very reason.  They are professionals.  There is no reason to sack cities unless that city supports slavery.  Then they really do deserve to get sacked.  

49 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

:D

There won't be any need.  The Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons have done their damage to the kingdom.   The fighting between Cersei and the High Sparrow can't lead to anything good.  

Anyway, The Unsullied do not sack cities.  Dany values her world-class infantry for this very reason.  They are professionals.  There is no reason to sack cities unless that city supports slavery.  Then they really do deserve to get sacked.  

I just want her to focus her attention on Westeros.  Sack or no sack..

You might be right about the Unsullied being too disciplined to sack the cities that Danaerys conquers but there are always less disciplined militia and foreign troops who will sack regardless. 

I don't know if this became a topic before.
Dany is currently at war with Xaro and Qarth while the Ser Barristan made an offer with Tattered Prince concerning Pentos.  Tolos, New Ghis, Volantis and other Slaver cities in the jade sea is in a open war against her as well, if she manage beat their forces Meereen, do you guys think she will march to take these cities?

Id say possibly qarth as she mentioned the drogo had dreamed of it 

The free cities we hear are on knife edge of fire religion inspired slave uprisingswith dany as their messiah  so i suspect theyl not need sacking

On 5/7/2018 at 7:32 PM, UnFit Finlay said:

Yes.

Hmmm...it's possible. But I think you are misunderstanding Illyrio. I don't think he's completely against Dany or the Targs. Remember he tries to actually convince Viserys to stay with him and not go with the khalasar. Viserys ignores both his and Dany's advise and goes. I don't think it was Illyrio who "convinced" Viserys to sell her. He only facilitated the transaction. If Illyrio really wanted the last Targs dead, he could have just easily disposed of them and not gone to any trouble. I mean, he did take a risk with Dany's wedding to Drogo. If Drogo hadn't liked Dany or if the wedding had gone wrong somehow, all of that would come back to Illyrio. 

So that makes his motives all the more unclear. If he wanted (f)Aegon on the throne, he could have made a claim without the last Targ heirs being in the way. I think it's entirely possible that he didn't really take Dany or the Beggar King as serious threats, like Bobby. Maybe he planned to install Balckfyres on the throne, but still keep the Targs around because they are kindred after all.

Dany knows that a rich merchant like Illyrio doesn't make deals without some form of benefit to him. So if she does meet him again, she might be grateful to him for the dragon eggs and trying to keep Viserys in Pentos. But if he tries to make a deal again, Dany would know that there's a price attached. I don't think Illyrio and Dany are going to meet on equal terms again. When Dany comes this way west again (from where she is right now), it would be with a Dothraki army. She seems more and more like the Stallion that Mounts the World (from where she left off). 

I think Viserys was paranoid about assassins since long before they met Illyrio is Pentos. Dany recalls him watching over his back in the Free Cities, ever since they were young. And later it turns out Viserys wasn't wrong. If Robert had been aware where they were, he would have sent assassins earlier, as he eventually did. 

Also, I don't think Dany changes from GoT. She goes through many things and has to grow up fast. She learns to be stronger for sure. But she is still fundamentally Dany. She's still mentally haunted by her abusive brother. In a way, she is following Viserys's dream. He's the one who wanted to conquer Westeros. From Dany's last chapter in DwD, we can discern that she feels a lot of guilt about his death that she keeps hidden. 

Sacking any town or city that offers resistance is Standard Operating Practice in this world, so the answer to this question is almost certainly Yes.

I doubt if she'll be interested in Qarth.  Her interests will take her Westwards, towards the Narrow Sea.  Assuming that she wins over a large proportion of the Dothraki, I'd expect her forces to converge by land and sea on Volantis (which may well revolt in her favour), before moving on to Pentos.  In all likelihood, she will have offered her followers the wealth of the Free Cities, to bind them to her.

Archived