U. S. Politics: A noun, a verb and no collusion.

LongRider

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That seems unlikely. We’ve heard about the other key players in this sordid affair getting grilled by Mueller. This WH is leaking worse than a pop can shot up by a BB gun. Hell, yesterday there were two big stories that were leaked (Idiotgate and the questions). If they had met with Mueller, we would most likely know, and there’s no way he’s not going to sit down with them given how important their testimonies will be.

On an unrelated note, why is the market down over 300 points? Trump extended his relief on his stupid tariffs. Wouldn’t that be a big plus for the market?

We heard about interviews months after it happened and generally from lawyers attached to those people. And you have to remember, those leaks generally serve a purpose. Idiotgate was leaked to get rid of Kelly who the President does not like. The questions are being speculated as being leaked to show Trump how much trouble he could be in if he agrees to an interview. Remember, that conversation with Mueller's team took place in March.

As for the market, no idea in terms of the tariffs but Trump did add quotas into that note which economists hate more than tariffs.

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

He's simply kissing up to Trump to keep him involved. He's doing the heavy lifting - him, and China. 

Except that's not what he said. The translation was off. The SK President said Trump can have the Nobel Peace Prize if SK gets peace. He doesn't care who gets credit.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Except that's not what he said. The translation was off. The SK President said Trump can have the Nobel Peace Prize if SK gets peace. He doesn't care who gets credit.

Perhaps, but Trump kissing up to keep him engaged has a long history of success. As appalling as I'd find it, I would also be fine with him winning the thing if it meant actual, real, denuclearization and the merging of the Koreas. It's a far bigger win than what Obama got the prize for. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All the speculation I’ve read though says Trump is going to be the last interview. I just find it odd that Jared and Don Jr. haven’t been interviewed, as far as we know, given that they were both in the meeting that was a clear attempt to work with the Russian government in exchange for damaging information on Clinton.

I don't think we should read too much into there being talk about Trump's interview prior to interviews with Don Jr. and Jared. Trump, as President, has significant powers at his disposal to delay investigations into his personal and public actions for months or even longer. The First Son and First-Son-in-Law...not so much. I'm sure that Mueller and his team are laying down the groundwork for negotiations with Trump's lawyers because they know it will be a long while before they're actually able to interview him, while they can call Jared or Don Jr. in pretty much whenever they feel like it.

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Perhaps, but Trump kissing up to keep him engaged has a long history of success. As appalling as I'd find it, I would also be fine with him winning the thing if it meant actual, real, denuclearization and the merging of the Koreas. It's a far bigger win than what Obama got the prize for. 

Totally. I'm fine with him winning it if it happens. I don't care what his method was to get it to happen. All I was saying is the SK President wasn't suggesting he should win it, he was just saying he "can win it if he gets peace".

I would say the biggest reason they've delayed the Jared/Trump the Stupider interviews is because those would probably start touching on Trump's red line: his financial dealings. Every time they've come near that Trump has freaked the fuck out.

The questions to Trump, as organized by the NYT, are about Flynn, Comey, Sessions and Russia. The last touches a bit on it but not directly. They seem to be avoiding the subject with him. I suspect not so much with tweedle dumbest and tweedle somehow even more dumb and corrupt.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

On an unrelated note, why is the market down over 300 points? Trump extended his relief on his stupid tariffs. Wouldn’t that be a big plus for the market?

Growth slower than expected, companies in the industrial sector were down, interest rates creeping up, inflation creeping up.

Apple violated some key support measures so it’s been rocky, Zuckerberg confirmed selling data collected by apps is verboten and then announced Facebook would get into the dating game, as part of social media being more social. You’ll be able to opt in using your Fb data somehow. Dating stocks down.

The big one is that the tariffs weren't cancelled nor were countries given permanent exemptions. They've just been delayed a month, and the market does not like uncertainty. 

47 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/judge-iran-pay-6bn-victims-911-attacks-180501120240366.html

So, a US judge has ruled that Iran owes 9-11 compensation. Despite investigation finding no connection. Is it me, or is shit getting really weird?

Another pretext for war being trialled for public consumption.

Tom Price, Somewhat Belatedly, Starts Telling the Truth About Obamacare

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/05/tom-price-tells-the-truth-about-obamacares-individual-mandate.html

Speaking at the World Health Care Congress on Tuesday morning, Price laid out the consequences of congressional Republicans’ decision to eliminate the individual mandate penalty in last year’s tax reform bill.

“There are many, and I’m one of them, who believes that [removing the mandate] actually will harm the pool in the exchange market, because you’ll likely have individuals who are younger and healthier not participating in that market,” he said, “and consequently, that drives up the cost for other folks within that market.”

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/judge-iran-pay-6bn-victims-911-attacks-180501120240366.html

So, a US judge has ruled that Iran owes 9-11 compensation. Despite investigation finding no connection. Is it me, or is shit getting really weird?

Hmmm...

Given - what was it 10 of 14? - hijackers were Saudi Arabian, can we expect them to cough up some compensation as well?

2 hours ago, Shryke said:

I would say the biggest reason they've delayed the Jared/Trump the Stupider interviews is because those would probably start touching on Trump's red line: his financial dealings. Every time they've come near that Trump has freaked the fuck out.

The questions to Trump, as organized by the NYT, are about Flynn, Comey, Sessions and Russia. The last touches a bit on it but not directly. They seem to be avoiding the subject with him. I suspect not so much with tweedle dumbest and tweedle somehow even more dumb and corrupt.

(i) Hasn't that line already been crossed considering the Cohen raid and I believe Mueller has already subpoenaed Trump's company and (ii) the last one directly touches on it. The meeting in Trump Tower with the Russian lawyer is probably the key to proving everything. 

Archived