Dunk is not true knight. How does it affect story?

4 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

In the marriage alliance between the Starks and Freys one of the terms was that Robb would take Olyvar Frey as his squire and knight him in due time. If the Lord of Winterfell, who isn't even of the Seven or a knight, can knight someone, I expect a king can.

The quote comes from Catelyn:

"Lord Frey's son Olyvar will be coming with us," she went on.  "He is to serve as your personal squire.  His father would like to see him knighted, in good time."

I don't think that means that Walder expects Robb personally to dub Olyvar.  I took it to mean that Walder wants to make sure that even though Olyvar is going to squire for someone who is not a knight (Robb), he wants to be sure that Robb will get someone to knight Olyvar when the time comes.  

13 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a king could, but as it's not really a tradition in the North, I doubt a non-knighted Stark would do it. It's too linked to the Faith.

Robb agreed to it. Out of necessity perhaps, but he did. One thing is clear is that WHO knights you does matter. Walder Frey wanted his son to have been knighted by the Warden of the North, not the head of the Winterfell household guard or a retainer knight of the Manderlys 

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly don't see why; he's northern and knighthood is a specificitly Andal thing; hell I imagine he even believes in the old gods rather than the 7.

Yes but he is foreshadowed as being more of the south than the North; not that I give a fig for foreshadowing but it's there.

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Robb is not Ned; it is likely he would have been knighted at one point.

No.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly don't see why; he's northern and knighthood is a specificitly Andal thing; hell I imagine he even believes in the old gods rather than the 7.

Yes. 

35 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

No.

Yes. 

35 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

No.

Yes. 

Robb might be a knight.  Remember that Bran’s great ambition was to be a knight, and Ned appears to have encouraged that.  Also, here is Catelyn’s description of Robb preparing for battle:

”Olyvar Frey held his horse for him...He strapped Robb’s shield in place and handed up his helm.  When he lowered it over the face she loved so well, a tall young knight sat on his grey stallion where her son had been.”

1 hour ago, The Twinslayer said:

Robb might be a knight.  Remember that Bran’s great ambition was to be a knight, and Ned appears to have encouraged that.  Also, here is Catelyn’s description of Robb preparing for battle:

”Olyvar Frey held his horse for him...He strapped Robb’s shield in place and handed up his helm.  When he lowered it over the face she loved so well, a tall young knight sat on his grey stallion where her son had been.”

To be a knight, you must stand your vigil in a sept, and be anointed with the seven oils to consecrate your vows. In the north, only a few of the great houses worship the Seven. The rest honor the old gods, and name no knights . . . but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honorable. A man's worth is not marked by a ser before his name. 

6 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

To be a knight, you must stand your vigil in a sept, and be anointed with the seven oils to consecrate your vows. In the north, only a few of the great houses worship the Seven. The rest honor the old gods, and name no knights . . . but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honorable. A man's worth is not marked by a ser before his name. 

I agree that knighthood is part of the Faith of the Seven.  But remember that Robb’s mother follows the 7 and that there is a sept in Winterfell.  Robb could have stood vigil there or in the sept at Riverrun.

Or he could have been knighted without standing vigil.  Jaime Lannister was knighted on the battlefield by Ser Arthur Dayne.  (Wouldn’t it be funny if Dayne was knighted by Selmy, meaning that neither Dayne nor Jaime is really a knight)?

If Robb is a knight my guess would be that the Blackfish did it for him on the battlefield after Whispering Wood.  That fits with Catelyn’s thought that he was transformed from the boy she knew into a young knight at Whispering Wood.

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Is that true? I mean that’s how it’s usually done, but is it required?

It seems to me that any knight can make a knight, and the rest is just ceremony.

Of course I agree that it doesn’t really matter at all if one is a Ser.

43 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Is that true? I mean that’s how it’s usually done, but is it required?

It seems to me that any knight can make a knight, and the rest is just ceremony.

Of course I agree that it doesn’t really matter at all if one is a Ser.

We have examples both. And it could be that the anointing and vigil might be expected to follow a truncated knighting when practical, but the knighthood would still count from the dubbing. 

1 hour ago, The Twinslayer said:

I agree that knighthood is part of the Faith of the Seven.  But remember that Robb’s mother follows the 7 and that there is a sept in Winterfell.  Robb could have stood vigil there or in the sept at Riverrun.

Or he could have been knighted without standing vigil.  Jaime Lannister was knighted on the battlefield by Ser Arthur Dayne.  (Wouldn’t it be funny if Dayne was knighted by Selmy, meaning that neither Dayne nor Jaime is really a knight)?

If Robb is a knight my guess would be that the Blackfish did it for him on the battlefield after Whispering Wood.  That fits with Catelyn’s thought that he was transformed from the boy she knew into a young knight at Whispering Wood.

The point I was trying to get across, is there is no material difference from a lancer in the North and an knight in the south. 

You make a good argument, but if Robb were a knight I think it be explicit. 

Duncan can behave like a knight most of the time.  He can act like a nice guy most of the time.  He can do knightly things most of the time.  He can be knightly most of the time and act more morally than the average knight most of the time.  But he is not a knight unless he went through the formal process.  

22 hours ago, The Twinslayer said:

Robb worships the Old Gods, and there is no indication in the books that he was knighted. End of. 

Archived