Things you found oddly amusing

JaneSnow

What are some things in the books that weren't necessarily meant to be funny but made you kinda laugh anyway? Like for instance, one moment that was kinda funny to me was Joff and Cersei's reaction to Tyrion's return at the beginning of ACOK, just simply grunting "You!" Very articulate, these Lannisters. I still lose it over Joffrey's reaction to Tyrion offering his condolences to him over his "father's" death. "Oh, him. Yes it was very sad, a boar killed him." I picture him saying this with a deadpan expression, flat voice, sorta drawing out the "very" almost sarcastically and it cracks me up. 

There is a lot, one of the most recent would be Darkstar and everything about him just seems really cheesy. 

Especially when Doran calls Darkstar the most dangerous man in Dorne, just sounded really comic book villainish to me

whenever Daario talks about his fights and Dany is interested but Barristan saying “how gallant”

Stannis and his army bickering back and forth with penrose regarding storm’s end

also when Sam comes to Oldtown and he tells Lazy Leo about all of his accomplishments and Lazy Leo just busts out laughing and he just walks past him...like a boss lol 

Stannis and Renly bickering at the parley and Catelyn being 100% done with their bs is amusing to me as well. Laughed a little when Mormont asked Jon about his hand and Jon "lied...loudly, as if that could make it true." Like yeah nice try Jon. Don't even get me started on that part where he spun Tyrion around.

10 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

The physical description of Daario Naharis with his trifid multicolored beard, painted nails, golden tooth, etc.

I thought he could as well bear a big latex red nose and a giant polka-dot bow tie… :P

And those swords that he always rubs...just makes me feel gross lol

I have always wondered, did GRRM intentionally make him look like this so it could be ridiculous?

Loras: Why did you kill Renly, after all he did for you?!

Brienne: I didn’t! I loved Renly, I would have died for him!

Loras: You will. (Draws his sword)

I love how even when he’s filled with grief and rage, Loras still manages a witty line which is both perfectly in keeping with the tone and makes me chuckle every time I re read it.

5 hours ago, Crona said:

I have always wondered, did GRRM intentionally make him look like this so it could be ridiculous?

I've always held Daario up as the primary example of a male fantasy writer having no idea what women are actually attracted to. Dany falling for Daario is like a girl falling for Swiss Tony.

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I've always held Daario up as the primary example of a male fantasy writer having no idea what women are actually attracted to. Dany falling for Daario is like a girl falling for Swiss Tony.

But weren't medieval men much more colorful with their wardrobes? Male animals are also usually rather colorful, so in a sense Daario is the ultimate beast in the jungle with tricolor beard and golden teeth and polished nails and what have you. In fact i find him more manly than Drogo the no arsed as in my experience a guy's butt is one of the first things ladies check... but then again I'm a guy so what do I know. A guy with a big butt, can't go without mentioning the butt:P

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

But weren't medieval men much more colorful with their wardrobes?

Indeed, but it's not just the clothes with Daario, it's the whole persona that's ridiculous. Any bloke who walks around stroking model naked ladies and boasting about all the fights and sex he's had needs pepper-spraying on general principle.

5 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Daario is the ultimate beast in the jungle with tricolor beard and golden teeth and polished nails and what have you

Or a bellend, depending on how you look at it. 

9 hours ago, Crona said:

There is a lot, one of the most recent would be Darkstar and everything about him just seems really cheesy. 

Especially when Doran calls Darkstar the most dangerous man in Dorne, just sounded really comic book villainish to me

*pfft*  :lol:

Yeah, he does sound a bit like a My Little Pony or Care Bears villain with that name, doesn't he?

8 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

Don't even get me started on that part where he spun Tyrion around.

I remember giggling when Cersei did that too!

It probably reflects terribly on me, but I always thought the chapter where Jaime returns to Harrenhal in AFFC was darkly funny - Vargo Hoat's head being tossed around, Ser Wylis's unfortunate diet, Jaime's interaction with the Mountain's men.

The whole tone of it is "the world's gone bloody mad". Jaime travelling through the Riverlands has a bit of an Apocalypse Now vibe for me.

Prologue AGOT:

"On your feet, Will," Ser Waymar commanded. "There's no one here. I won't have you hiding under a bush."

ASOS Davos V:

"No man may withstand him!" the queen cried.

"Be quiet, woman. You are not at a nightfire now."

Also the weird/gross/cringy sex-related wordings, like the myrish swamp and the fat pink mast. Though honestly they are still more painful than funny. But I try to see it as jokes GRRM is playing on us, like Andy Kaufman's false booger. I'm too uncomfortable by the false booger ( = weird/gross/cringy wordings) to realise I'm being pranked-type of joke maybe?

24 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I like to think it's GRRM recognising how silly people look during sex.

Nah, GRRM is playing come-up-with-the-grossest-euphemisms-for-private-parts-game. 

People looking silly has its own category though, like when Jaime walks in on Jonos Bracken :wacko:

Strong Belwas taking a dump in front of Merreen after defeating its champion.

Pretty much anything Dolorous Edd says.

Ser Dontos' entry into the lists on Joffrey's name day tourney.

Wun Wun and Patchface

Tyrion's capture by Catelyn, political navigation through the Eyrie, commandeering of the hill tribes and return to his father at the head of an army.

Archived