Looking for Gritty FANTASY series in vein of GOT that would be great fo cable TV Adapation

StarkBlack21

Game Of Thrones is not a book series.

This being said, since half the modern fantasy fits the criteria, I'm going to plug Lord Grimdark's stuff. and the pinned recommendation threads, top of first page.

Isn't Nicci a bit too niche ?

42 minutes ago, Ajûrbkli said:

Are you going to write a spec script or something?  Why are you looking for something that would be a great cable adaption O-o.  

I think you can forget that criterion. Given the right directors and amount of money, anything can be great. Except the Richard Rahl adventures, maybe.

I would read The Eye of Argon aloud in full before even mockingly pretending to recommend that SoT stuff.

Anyway, I've just remembered the best series for a cable adaptation: Greek Mythology, it would rock. (What dyou mean, "Marvel is on the case"?)

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe? Do you know know about LEGEND OF THE SEEKER?

The fact that it didn’t win multiple Emmy Awards is proof of the freedom hating communists that make up the entertainment industry in the US.

11 minutes ago, StarkBlack21 said:

I'm looking at books. Would The Prince of Nothing make a good cable TV Series? Or the Malazan Saga?

With heavy revisions on both series, taking commercial aspects and dropping a lot of the GrimDarkGarish and look-at-me introspection.

3 hours ago, kuenjato said:

With heavy revisions on both series, taking commercial aspects and dropping a lot of the GrimDarkGarish and look-at-me introspection.

Got you. In your opinion, between The Prince of Nothing or Malazan saga, which would be the better book to adapt for TV?

Also, would the Traitor Son Cycle be good for TV?

2 hours ago, StarkBlack21 said:

Got you. In your opinion, between The Prince of Nothing or Malazan saga, which would be the better book to adapt for TV?

Also, would the Traitor Son Cycle be good for TV?

I don't like Malazan very much, so I'd go with PoN. The latter would require significant changes in terms of structure to make it palatable for TV.

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'm not sure how serious to take this thread,

I think that even in the seriously unlikely chance that OP is in fact in a position and genuinely looking for books to adapt, I wouldn't want properties I like in the hands of someone who can't be bothered to read them himself and find out. So don't take it seriously either way.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think that even in the seriously unlikely chance that OP is in fact in a position and genuinely looking for books to adapt, I wouldn't want properties I like in the hands of someone who can't be bothered to read them himself and find out. So don't take it seriously either way.

Burn!

I think that's the expression?  :D

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'm not sure how serious to take this thread, but are not the rights to both PoN and Malazan scooped up already?

Guys, I was seeing which books I should read and are worth it, because I wanted opinions from people which books would make great TV series adaptations. Please keep listing intriguing ones. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, StarkBlack21 said:

Guys, I was seeing which books I should read and are worth it, because I wanted opinions from people which books would make great TV series adaptations. Please keep listing intriguing ones. Thanks.

Why would whether it makes a great TV series be anywhere near a consideration requirement to read a book? 

There are plenty of recommendation threads, one is stickied, and there are at least 10 threads on the first page alone discussing great series and authors.  Browse to your hears content and start picking them out.  Bakker, Lynch, Hobb, Erickson, Abercrombie, Abraham, Stover, Lawrence.... those are authors just off the top of my head and all have been recommended countless times.

Archived