Looking for Gritty FANTASY series in vein of GOT that would be great fo cable TV Adapation

StarkBlack21

13 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Bakker, Lynch, Hobb, Erickson, Abercrombie, Abraham, Stover, Lawrence....

Maybe start with basics: Tolkien, Heinlein, PKD, Asimov, Stephenson, Gibson, Donaldson, Peake, Vernes, Dumas, Borges, Murakami, Homer, The 1001 nights, Mahabharata, Water Margin, stuff like that?

52 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Just on a Stanek note, I checked up on him, and apparently he's given up laboring away at the false reality of the RuinMist message board. Last post (out of 10,000!) was in 2012.

That's both hilarious and sad.

There is so much out there that could be adapted. It all depends on what direction one would want to go, and how close one wants to keep to the source material. The recent Dirk Gently series are great fun, but hardly a close adaptation of the books for example.

edit: there are oodles of great Urban fantasy series out there that could be adapted. And in between the rough boundaries set by the aforementioned Dirk Gently, American Gods, Wynonna Earp, Midnight Texas, The Magicians there is so much room left in setting and quality.

On 29/04/2018 at 7:05 PM, StarkBlack21 said:

I'm looking at books. Would The Prince of Nothing make a good cable TV Series? Or the Malazan Saga?

Malazan books series would be closer to the Expanse than to GoT, but there is much with cinematic potential in there.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, StarkBlack21 said:

I'm look for a gritty, grounded fantasy book series in the vein of GAME OF THRONES that would be great for a cable TV series adaptation. Like multiple POVS as well in the book.

Well, if you want a book series featuring mad tyrants, barbaric torture, hideous (and varied) diseases, religious allegory, quite a lot of sex, heroism, and a lot of war I would recommend the Duncton Chronicles by William Horwood.  It's OK that all these things happen to moles, right?  Casting might be difficult, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 10:52 AM, StarkBlack21 said:

I'm look for a gritty, grounded fantasy book series in the vein of GAME OF THRONES that would be great for a cable TV series adaptation. Like multiple POVS as well in the book.

Why Fantasy? Since SyFy is adapting Nightflyers, why don’t you adapt one of George’s other stories? Last I checked, he hasn’t sold the rights to any of the Tuf Voyaging stories. 

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

He's not looking for things to adapt, he just asked for suggestions poorly

I assumed he was just asking for books that had a cinematic television-esque feel.

20 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I assumed he was just asking for books that had a cinematic television-esque feel.

Thank you. I am asking for things that can be adapted and television-esque feel. I've read The Broken Empire trilogy. Good recommendation. It's been optioned by producers already, unfortunately.

On 5/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

What is a televison-esque feel? The Handmaid's Tale is a successful TV series, Altered Carbon is a sucky TV series, GoT is ok, The Sword of Truth is laughable... yet all their source books should have a TV-esque feel: please explain what it is, I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Errant Bard said:

What is a televison-esque feel? The Handmaid's Tale is a successful TV series, Altered Carbon is a sucky TV series, GoT is ok, The Sword of Truth is laughable... yet all their source books should have a TV-esque feel: please explain what it is, I don't get it.

I'm thinking a tight moving plot which doesn't take too much time out for description or story but is constantly moving forward. The Handmaid's Tale on television isn't remotely like the books because that would be June contemplating the horrors of her situation for 12 episodes while the show is all about various events as well as displays of resistance.

Archived