Quick question about Targs and Sickness

LiveFirstDieLater

If Targs can’t get sick, 

"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

How did so many of them die during the Great Spring Sickness?

That was what they always said of those who had perished during the Great Spring Sickness two years past. He died in the spring. Many tens of thousands had died in the spring, among them a wise old king and two young princes full of promise.

2 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

If Targs can’t get sick, 

Wow, nice catch and excellent question. We know that King Daeron II and his two most immediate heirs (sons of the late Baelor) died in the Great Spring Sickness.

I have no evidence, but I do wonder whether the Blackfyre rebellion might have turned to germ warfare after armed rebellion failed. Some Blackfyre hostages died in the Great Spring Sickness, but this supposedly made the rebels feel better about attempting their second uprising - their kin had already died so the crown no longer held hostages and they felt free to pick up arms once more.

Viserys was just as stupid as he was crazy. Nothing from his mouth can be counted on for anything. Egg's drunken brother caught a pox from a whore and died easily enough. 

3 hours ago, Mooncalf said:

Viserys was just as stupid as he was crazy. Nothing from his mouth can be counted on for anything. Egg's drunken brother caught a pox from a whore and died easily enough. 

My take on it as well.

3 hours ago, Mooncalf said:

*trolling* He was bastard born from the line of Daeron II, Bloodraven made it al happen... No Blackfyre ever died of sickness, no Targaryen before that died of sickness, all hail the Blackfyre kings

Viserys was extremely arrogant and saw himself above everyone else. It's no surprise that he would have this viewpoint. I would say the Targs are just as vulnerable to sickness as anyone else, with the exception of Dany who as we know is special. 

Even with access to Maesters and their medicine, Westeros is kind of a place where if you get really sick you're probably going to die. I don't think they think of sickness like we do, in that a common cold wouldn't count because so many of the common folk would have simple stuff like that. When they refer to sickness they are mainly talking about big diseases like the Pale Mare and Grayscale. 

4 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

If Targs can’t get sick, 

Interesting pick up though, I could be wrong and there might be more to it. We'll see!

Also @Deepbollywood Motte - awesome name dude :D

Just now, Sea Dragon said:

Danerys cannot get sick. She never has and never will. She is the unburnt and can burn away sickness if she needs to. 

She had pretty bad diarrhea in ADWD.

2 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

She had pretty bad diarrhea in ADWD.

That was from the berries or the dirty water in the skahadazan river. Where would she get sick from? She was carried away and burnt by Drogon. 

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

@Sea Dragon

Where I come from, upset stomachs and bad diarrhea = sick.

I do not know where you come from, but where I come from an upset stomach needs the pink stuff your mom makes you drink. ^_^ Being sick is like the pale mare or worse. 

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

@Sea Dragon

Where I come from, upset stomachs and bad diarrhea = sick.

Considering that bloody diarrhea is the major symptom of the flux, it's safe to say the reader is supposed to make the assumption they are related. Along with the feverish foggy narration. It COULD be misdirection on the part of GRRM, but to what purpose??

16 minutes ago, Bitterblooms said:

Considering that bloody diarrhea is the major symptom of the flux, it's safe to say the reader is supposed to make the assumption they are related. Along with the feverish foggy narration. It COULD be misdirection on the part of GRRM, but to what purpose??

Danaerys is drinking and going to the bathroom near that river. That would mean she is making everyone along the way down sick because the water flows from there back in to Meereen. I doubt the author would make a hero like Danaerys make everyone sick. 

42 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

I do not know where you come from, but where I come from an upset stomach needs the pink stuff your mom makes you drink. ^_^ Being sick is like the pale mare or worse. 

So everyone is wrong to call in sick to work or school unless we have something on par with the pale mare or worse? I'll have to tell my boss and my doctor that. I'm sure they'd like to know.

44 minutes ago, Bitterblooms said:

Yeah, I don't see any way around her not being sick here.

8 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

Quick poll how often do y'all get sick in a year?  I get like >6 colds per year, often sick for several days.  My wife works with children and I get every single illness she brings home, even when it does not affect her.  If I had lived to be 14 and never got so much as a cold, I might think I was immune to the common cold and maybe more.

But this might be one of those bloodline dilution issues.  As the King's Blood gets more diluted, its magical effects only pop up here and there.  There must have been some basis for Viserys to make that claim, as in he himself never got sick, and/or one of his parents told him that.

But that was in the dawn of days, when mighty men still dwelt on earth and sea. . . Gone, all the glory gone. Men were smaller now. Their lives had grown short.

Archived