Sansa and Cognitive Dissonance

ToysoldierXIII

12 hours ago, Elaena Targaryen said:

Great post The Weirwoods Eyes! You did however set my mind on a different path. I knew, from your previous post, that you were going to focus on Sansa's bird association here. So I switched mentally to capture the bird imagery in the passage. The word perched grabbed me in this part.

So lovely. The snow-clad summit of the Giant's Lance loomed above her, an immensity of stone and ice that dwarfed the castle perched upon its shoulder. Icicles twenty feet long draped the lip of the precipice where Alyssa's Tears fell in summer. A falcon soared above the frozen waterfall, blue wings spread wide against the morning sky. Would that I had wings as well.

It read like Littlefinger is the giant with Sansa as the castle, perched on his shoulder, both using each other. The summer child cried but the giant is teaching her how to strengthen her walls with ice. I loved the idea of a castle being symbolic for Sansa, but I need more time to check into it. It fits with the cognitive dissonance idea and it would be how she protects herself mentally and emotionally. 

A castle is a fortification, they represent physical defense, a symbol of enclosure, something walled and defended, someplace safe offering protection. Castles symbolize a strong foundation, structure, strategy, sanctuary, and idealism. Princess in the tower fairy tales can be a symbol of awakening of the conscience mind. Castles can also be a symbol of hope and a place where dreams can come true. More personally, castles can speak to our cautious and conservative sides. With castles being well guarded they represent times in our lives when we need to be, as well. They can represent mental barriers and the need for more self defense.

I can see how Sansa wants to protect herself with stone and ice, to learn how to go from pawn to player, to build her walls high and to reinforce them. Now I want to reread Sansa's chapters with this psychological defense in mind, just from a cursory glance of what I recall this could have some merit.

The main reason this clicked in my head was, in regards to this thread, I was already contemplating a mental barrier Sansa has constructed for self-preservation. Sansa thinks this about Lysa -

"She murdered her own lord husband" 

- but how does she know this? This is what Sansa heard Lysa say -

"No need for tears ... but that's not what you said in King's Landing. You told me to put the tears in Jon's wine, and I did. For Robert, and for us! And I wrote Catelyn and told her the Lannisters had killed my lord husband, just as you said. That was so clever ... you were always clever."

- and that means Sansa knows it was truly LF. She won't think about it, every time she starts to think in this vein she skews away from thinking LF could have done bad things. I believe she is hiding this from herself because she knows she can't lie well enough to fool LF, yet. So she is lying to herself, hiding the information behind walls, a compartmentalization. People want to see the player, want to see Sansa blatantly think to herself "I know what you did" while speaking lies to him but he would see through it.

Twice Tyrion refers to Sansa as a castle. The first time -

"Come, wife, time to smash your portcullis. I want to play come-into-the-castle." 

- it is an in-story sexual metaphor but we see it tied to Sansa's sexual awakening at other times. Then - 

"You hide behind courtesy as if it were a castle wall." "Courtesy is a lady's armor," Sansa said.

- but is armor enough? Sansa needs more than courtesy for a shield. She needs the immensity of stone and ice, strategy and guile.

I need to think more about the cloud castle, but - 

- (I've read a few good interpretations) could it represent Tyrion and Sansa's union, Tyrion has armor too, and ends showing how it is a sham and how he personally can't protect her? 

I also want to look at her time in Maegor's  Holdfast, the castle-within-a-castle, the heart of the Red Keep. Or would she consider the godswood the heart of the castle? The latter I think, and she met Dontos there trying to get home.

There is the snow castle passage at the Eryie, which I must read again. I recall LF helping her build it, helping strengthen the walls and the eroticism. And of course -

"She wondered where this courage had come from, to speak to him so frankly. From Winterfell, she thought. I am stronger within the walls of Winterfell." 

- Maybe Robert destroying the castle could symbolize him breaking down her defenses because she will care for him, he will get into the heart of her castle. Robert claims it was not him but the giant that hurt the castle, and Sansa mounts the giant's head on the walls.

I would also like to look at the aftermath of the snow castle, the confrontation with Lysa and her death. I remember Sansa harping on building a snow castle, like she couldn't believe all the turmoil it caused. I wonder though if it was more that she felt defenseless in the turmoil and wondered why her castle was not strong enough to protect her.

Which brings us to the prophecy. -

"I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." 

- Maybe the castle does not represent the place but the how, like with the former. The giant will let his guard down and the maid will slay him with cunning.

ETA I'm so sorry Springwatch!!! I completely left out your ideas of Sansa's mind as a fortress initially inspiring me!!! I've been so busy lately and this has been marinating in the back of my mind for several days, then the quote of the giant with the castle perched on his shoulder... I rushed my post :dunce: it was word vomit... 

This is bloody brilliant. I can't reply at length as I've got to get my chores done. I swear being an adult and a parent sucks. :)

But yeah, blimey, good stuff. 

7 hours ago, Ygrain said:

An interesting take on Sansa as a castle, especially in relation to Littlefinger. He helps her build her castle, it makes her stronger, and when he enters the castle (or tries to break it, like Robin's doll), it becomes his undoing.

I don't think that the castle being Winterfell is a coincidence - LF aims for Sansa to become the lady of Winterfell, and if Winterfell from snow could make her stronger, the real deal will be a true boost to her strength. The idea that she will become a true Stark with everything that comes with it, like dealing justice with her own hand, doesn't seem far-fetched at all.

:agree:

Wow, that castle stuff is great! I love the perched part, and her wishing for wings in that moment does hint that she wants away from Littlefinger, even though her actions seem otherwise at this point showing us that nice split between what she lets on and reality.

@The Weirwoods Eyes Thanks for your interpretation of what was going on with the Hound. That all makes a lot of sense. Sometimes it is easy to forget how young these characters are and think of how that would impact their actions. Even though I have a 13y old daughter since there is no marriage or even dating in her future its easy to forget that her and Sansa are the same age.

The cloud castle is interesting to me, doesn't Tyrion also notice a cloud castle, or wish for one at some point? I wonder what the cloud part symbolizes as apposed to castles of ice and stone...Her thinking of a cloud castle in one chapter and an ice/snow one in another may show conflicting or changed desires or beliefs in some way? Thoughts?

EDIT: Actually, her initial defenses could have been made of dream, and cloud and they crumbled. Then in the next castle scene she re-builds her defenses stronger. And the two castles merging could symbolize Winterfell having two walls?

49 minutes ago, Azarial said:

Wow, that castle stuff is great! I love the perched part, and her wishing for wings in that moment does hint that she wants away from Littlefinger, even though her actions seem otherwise at this point showing us that nice split between what she lets on and reality.

@The Weirwoods Eyes Thanks for your interpretation of what was going on with the Hound. That all makes a lot of sense. Sometimes it is easy to forget how young these characters are and think of how that would impact their actions. Even though I have a 13y old daughter since there is no marriage or even dating in her future its easy to forget that her and Sansa are the same age.

The cloud castle is interesting to me, doesn't Tyrion also notice a cloud castle, or wish for one at some point? I wonder what the cloud part symbolizes as apposed to castles of ice and stone...Her thinking of a cloud castle in one chapter and an ice/snow one in another may show conflicting or changed desires or beliefs in some way? Thoughts?

EDIT: Actually, her initial defenses could have been made of dream, and cloud and they crumbled. Then in the next castle scene she re-builds her defenses stronger. And the two castles merging could symbolize Winterfell having two walls?

Its great isn't it, Sansa as a castle perched on the giants icey shoulder wishing she could sprouot wings fly past her frozen grief and escapeoff through the vale to the mountains of the moon; where the few remaining wildlings south of the wall live. ie: first men cuture. Seeing the other vale nobility as an obsticle, but one which building her relationship with her cousin might help her surmount. 

Yeah It is easy toforget how young they are. 

Thecloud castle stuff is good too and your edit is basically what I was going to suggest. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:36 PM, Azarial said:

See that is one of the things that makes me think it is related to warging, since a bird reciting words is how we are told ravens used to deliver messages, so this could be a clue (or not). 

Come to think of it, the pretty talking bird was never identified by species - it could be crow family (birds of paradise are closely related to the crow family, so might be that too).

Like I said it was a random thought and I would need to do a re-read to make it a theory. That said when you see someone warg they take on traits, but don't lose themselves in the process, so I agree with the compassion bit 100%, but don't see it as a point against her absorbing traits from others.

It does seem possible; we know the hazards of being a skinchanger without any control of your gift -

On 5/13/2018 at 12:32 PM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

This isn't a skill which requires skinchanging but one who has it will be infinitely better equipped to succeed. As with all skinchangers one must learn to master it and to not allow it to take you in a direction which would conquer you. Not be too much in your wolf or too often in the sky so to say. Not allow it to make you become more like them if your ideas are correct and she shows signs of taking on the traits of others.

This, pretty much. Humans are difficult to skinchange, which should be a protection, but strong empathy is still possible.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:36 PM, Azarial said:

I think the thing that really made me think this was what I remember of her thoughts on the bridge with Jeoffery and the Hound, and when she is near Jeoffery she is thinking of pushing him, understandable don't get me wrong, tinged with her lack of worry of her going over with him (this is a bit muddy, could be despair or his lack of concern for her) but when the Hound steps between and touches her, her whole mindset changed. She thinks the moment had passed, but for most people the moment wouldn't pass that quick, but maybe she's just really forgiving. 

The matching pair to this is when she touched the Hound's shoulder the night of the Hand's Tourney - he went from silent despair to a roar (laughter, most likely, but definitely a complete change of mindset).

Yes, she is learning to lie in her thoughts, and that does make it hard to know what's going on as self awareness doesn't seem to be a Stark trait.

:D

On 5/13/2018 at 11:38 AM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Uncomfortable yes, but ultimately she defeats the invading giant and tears his head off before triumphantly mounting it on a spike above her gate house.

Oh my. I actually needed this reminder (thanks!). I get thinking about the books getting darker, and all the things that might happen - and the glooms just overtake me. But I'm enjoying these posts very much.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:20 PM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

... Lastly there is this quote which some people interpret as possibly her accidentally slipping the skin of one of the Falcons who sweep and soar around the mountain. As the Sky Cells face out.  I do find it holds my attention and I can't ignore the possibility. 

AFFC Sansa I

Here she "see's" Marillion so clearly that she may indeed actually have seen him through the eyes of a falcon....

Wow. I'd heard of this quote, but hadn't looked it up - and it's actually really good. The viewpoint is outside the sky cells, a bird's-eye view. Could be an owl, in view of the black sky, but it could be a falcon, flying at the break of dawn.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:42 PM, Light a wight tonight said:

In the wonderful world of GRRM things get confused. Somewhere he describes the same bird as a hawk and a falcon, while they are unrelated species with different behaviors. Falcons do not habitually soar; hawks do. Sansa's merlin brings down ducks? I'd give that a "no way" as merlins are too small for that. Sparrows and quail are their proper prey.

I tried to find this out once. Some sources say a large aggressive merlin could bring down a small duck, but with no strong evidence. I think GRRM just really wanted a merlin.

20 hours ago, Elaena Targaryen said:

I need to think more about the cloud castle, but - 

<quote snipped?

- (I've read a few good interpretations) could it represent Tyrion and Sansa's union...

I can see this totally: rose for Sansa, crimson and gold for Tyrion - that's very neat, very pleasing. The tumbling tower might not be a bad sign - Tyrion does a tumbling trick on his first meeting with Jon. I've a feeling tumbling and shaking might be a marker of future earth-shaking giants.

In a way, it's a shame the Tyrion/Sansa marriage couldn't possibly work. It was a marriage of Winter's daughter to a son of Lann, which would be a bridge between the seasons. I haven't paid much attention to all the solar/sol words and puns, but Tyrion thinks to himself that he would like to bring his wife 'solace' - comfort, yes, but maybe also a touch of sunlight. But he can't reach her and she stays frozen, and we are facing a winter with no sign of spring.

ETA I'm so sorry Springwatch!!! I completely left out your ideas of Sansa's mind as a fortress initially inspiring me!!!

Hey, you're welcome, and I liked your post. :)  Every post of mine has been inspired by something on the forum, so I'm happy to return the favour.

17 hours ago, Springwatch said:

The matching pair to this is when she touched the Hound's shoulder the night of the Hand's Tourney - he went from silent despair to a roar (laughter, most likely, but definitely a complete change of mindset).

Oh, nice! I completely forgot about that (not that they talked, but his reaction). 

I agree, these posts have all been great to read. It's fun seeing how much is hidden in Sansa's chapters.  I'm at the epilogue of Dance on my re-read and I think I will do a Sansa re-read when I'm done to see what I can find now that I know what sorts of things to look for. Rapid mind/mood shifts. Her being split on how she feels. Bird symbolism. Increased sensory awareness. Although I also have a words are wind, cold winds are rising, winter is coming trail I want to follow, and a bird trail, really interesting quote in the epilogue... hmm I could follow the bird trail and do a Sansa re-read though as they seem linked ... decisions, decisions. Oh, just spitballing here but here is the quote and my train of though leading to Sansa.

Lord Randyll snorted. "What have we become, when kings and high lords must dance to the twittering of sparrows?

Now, obviously this is about Sparrows, but sparrows are little birds and this makes me think of them all taking actions based on what Vary's tells them. But the other little bird who loves singing and dancing, and has strong links to the seven is Sansa. This all made me think of the little birds having their tongues cut out for safety, and thought of how Sansa's armor was very akin to her having her tongue cut out. Also a nice link to Payne. Not sure what this would mean, just a random thought that I hoped someone else might have insight into. I really think there is a larger theme about little birds, and singing, and wind that all connect and seem to be most obvious in Kings landing, therefore Sansa chapters, I'm just not sure what to make of it.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:42 PM, Light a wight tonight said:

In the wonderful world of GRRM things get confused. Somewhere he describes the same bird as a hawk and a falcon, while they are unrelated species with different behaviors. Falcons do not habitually soar; hawks do. Sansa's merlin brings down ducks? I'd give that a "no way" as merlins are too small for that. Sparrows and quail are their proper prey.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, Springwatch said:

I tried to find this out once. Some sources say a large aggressive merlin could bring down a small duck, but with no strong evidence. I think GRRM just really wanted a merlin.

Good morning, falconry fans! :cheers:

Just wanted to mention that there is a historical precedent for Sansa using a merlin. In medieval Britain, there were quite strict rules about which bird you could own, based on your rank in the nobility. There is a wonderful 15th century book called The Boke of St Albans, still in print today, from which comes much of our knowledge of medieval falconry and hunting. In it, there is a long list of who can own what - for instance, an eagle can only be owned by an Emperor, a king uses a gyrfalcon, an earl uses a peregrine falcon, and so on.

Near the bottom of the list (nothing's changed, eh?) we see - "Lady - merlin".

I'm sure George, being a lover of history as we know, was aware of this and wanted to get that wonderful nugget of historical reality into the text. In fact, I think the Boke of St Albans would be a fantastic resource for anyone researching a medieval fantasy where the characters talk a lot about hunting; he may well have used it!

As to the question of whether a merlin could bring down a duck - well, not physically impossible, but unlikely. Being a fantasy world, the definitions can be slightly elastic - we can always say that merlins are a bit bigger in Westeros, or that there's a small species of duck. Or that Sansa just has a big, aggressive merlin. :)

3 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

Just wanted to mention that there is a historical precedent for Sansa using a merlin. In medieval Britain, there were quite strict rules about which bird you could own, based on your rank in the nobility. There is a wonderful 15th century book called The Boke of St Albans, still in print today, from which comes much of our knowledge of medieval falconry and hunting. In it, there is a long list of who can own what - for instance, an eagle can only be owned by an Emperor, a king uses a gyrfalcon, an earl uses a peregrine falcon, and so on.

I'm sure George, being a lover of history as we know, was aware of this and wanted to get that wonderful nugget of historical reality into the text. In fact, I think the Boke of St Albans would be a fantastic resource for anyone researching a medieval fantasy where the characters talk a lot about hunting; he may well have used it!

As to the question of whether a merlin could bring down a duck - well, not physically impossible, but unlikely. Being a fantasy world, the definitions can be slightly elastic - we can always say that merlins are a bit bigger in Westeros, or that there's a small species of duck. Or that Sansa just has a big, aggressive merlin. :)

Thank for this little nugget of information. I will add it to my list of evidence that backs up my theory. I've been banging my drum about Sansa's Merlin for a few years now and it is nice to discover that there are still more things which support it. 

3 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Thank for this little nugget of information. I will add it to my list of evidence that backs up my theory. I've been banging my drum about Sansa's Merlin for a few years now and it is nice to discover that there are still more things which support it. 

My pleasure! :cheers:

6 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

This is very interesting info. Lady-Merlin... love it. 

Thanks for sharing. I might check out that book for myself. 

8 hours ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

Interesting points. Not a huge number of eagles in use, then? 

In GRRM's world the number of noble titles is severely truncated: no duke, earls, counts or viscounts, etc, so the St. Albans formula might not work.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:39 PM, Springwatch said:

Come to think of it, the pretty talking bird was never identified by species

It was "a pretty talking bird from the Summer Isles". Think parrot. A gaudy, colorful bird that epeats all the pretty words it's taught. (Or less than pretty - President Andrew Jackson's parrot had to be removed from his funeral ceremony, because it cursed too much.)

For that matter, Varys refers to his child spies as "little birds", too. And the Hound is more than a little familiar with the spider and his techniques, and undoubtedly knows that it was Sansa who ratted out Lord Eddard's plan for saving his girls to Cersei. The Hound is very observant - comes of being a watchman/bodyguard, no? - and he'd realize that Sansa is no one to tell a secret to. She blabs EVERYTHING. (Thus the death threat. It worked.)

On 5/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, Springwatch said:

In a way, it's a shame the Tyrion/Sansa marriage couldn't possibly work.

Definitely. His brains, her beauty and superficial manners. Tyrion could have operated Sansa for the betterment of the realm, unlike Littlefinger, who's using her to further chaos and enrich himself. Sadly, Sansa is a "looks bigot" - Tyrion is too deformed, too injured for her taste. Plus, a Lannister because everyone in that family is exactly the same in her eyes.

2 minutes ago, zandru said:

It was "a pretty talking bird from the Summer Isles". Think parrot. A gaudy, colorful bird that epeats all the pretty words it's taught. (Or less than pretty - President Andrew Jackson's parrot had to be removed from his funeral ceremony, because it cursed too much.)

For that matter, Varys refers to his child spies as "little birds", too. And the Hound is more than a little familiar with the spider and his techniques, and undoubtedly knows that it was Sansa who ratted out Lord Eddard's plan for saving his girls to Cersei. The Hound is very observant - comes of being a watchman/bodyguard, no? - and he'd realize that Sansa is no one to tell a secret to. She blabs EVERYTHING. (Thus the death threat. It worked.)

Definitely. His brains, her beauty and superficial manners. Tyrion could have operated Sansa for the betterment of the realm, unlike Littlefinger, who's using her to further chaos and enrich himself. Sadly, Sansa is a "looks bigot" - Tyrion is too deformed, too injured for her taste. Plus, a Lannister because everyone in that family is exactly the same in her eyes.

You can't really call someone a "looks bigot" when they fantasize about the Hound.

AGOT Sansa II

The right side of his face was gaunt, with sharp cheekbones and a grey eye beneath a heavy brow. His nose was large and hooked, his hair thin, dark. He wore it long and brushed it sideways, because no hair grew on the other side of that face.

The left side of his face was a ruin. His ear had been burned away; there was nothing left but a hole. His eye was still good, but all around it was a twisted mass of scar, slick black flesh hard as leather, pocked with craters and fissured by deep cracks that gleamed red and wet when he moved. Down by his jaw, you could see a hint of bone where the flesh had been seared away.

1 hour ago, zandru said:

She dislikes him mainly because he is a Lannister.  She has no reason to like any Lannister - all they have done is hurt her.  Had they been together longer and/or she had had a chance to get to know him, it might have worked.  I still think the possibility exists as a political partnership.  I think any chance of a long-term liaison with Littlefinger is minimal.  She doesn't trust him, never has, and their worldview and interests are far too different.

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

You can't really call someone a "looks bigot" when they fantasize about the Hound.

AGOT Sansa II

The right side of his face was gaunt, with sharp cheekbones and a grey eye beneath a heavy brow. His nose was large and hooked, his hair thin, dark. He wore it long and brushed it sideways, because no hair grew on the other side of that face.

The left side of his face was a ruin. His ear had been burned away; there was nothing left but a hole. His eye was still good, but all around it was a twisted mass of scar, slick black flesh hard as leather, pocked with craters and fissured by deep cracks that gleamed red and wet when he moved. Down by his jaw, you could see a hint of bone where the flesh had been seared away.

So that’s where people ship Sansa and the Hound. I couldn’t get my head around it.

13 hours ago, Lollygag said:

AGOT Sansa II

Nothing like blind hatred hey. 

And since when was autonomous sexual atraction bigotry? 

19 hours ago, Nevets said:

She dislikes him mainly because he is a Lannister.  She has no reason to like any Lannister - all they have done is hurt her.  Had they been together longer and/or she had had a chance to get to know him, it might have worked.  I still think the possibility exists as a political partnership.  I think any chance of a long-term liaison with Littlefinger is minimal.  She doesn't trust him, never has, and their worldview and interests are far too different.

It's obvious Sansa disliked his looks. Tyrion says he had to wear pijama in summer because she's having disgusting look at him. Not only that, but she's afraid of ugly Hound and head over heels over handsome Loras.

When she recollects her childhood memories when Marillion was in jail (I'm not sure on location), she says she loved songs because of singer who comes to Winterfell once and that she prayed to gods to send her singer back, or better yet, handsome one. I believe she said "better yet, handsome one", but I didn't read book in English and I don't have quote to guide you.

She was totally shallow, it's questionable whether or not she still is, she wasn't little girl in Feast.

23 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Interesting points. Not a huge number of eagles in use, then?

Good point. No emperors in Britain, so I wonder if they got dumped with the bird no-one wants (too dangerous, or an uninteresting hunting style?). The kings got a large, impressive falcon, which is probably more fun to play with.

One more angle on the merlin - its name is exceptionally close to 'merling' (meaning, 'of the sea'?), a term that's popping up with some frequency (merling king, merling queen, merling rocks....) Sansa already has her own 'mer' reference from Patchface - 'The merwives wear nennymoans in their hair and weave gowns of silver seaweed....' (nennymoans -> sea anemones (a stinging 'sea flower') -> the amethyst hair net). Anyway, when the time of Patchface's prophecies arrives, a merlin ally would be a good thing to have.

21 hours ago, zandru said:

It was "a pretty talking bird from the Summer Isles". Think parrot....

I do think parrot. Not that it matters - both parrot and crow are considered to be the top end of bird intelligence, both are teachable, both talk. I think the important difference is that one is colourful and one is black  - one belongs to day/summer, and one to night/winter. I don't know if Sansa will have to change her feathers when she goes north - perhaps she will.

21 hours ago, zandru said:

For that matter, Varys refers to his child spies as "little birds", too.

Little birds with their tongues torn out, unable to sing.

On 5/16/2018 at 3:05 PM, Azarial said:

<snip>

Now, obviously this is about Sparrows, but sparrows are little birds and this makes me think of them all taking actions based on what Vary's tells them. But the other little bird who loves singing and dancing, and has strong links to the seven is Sansa. This all made me think of the little birds having their tongues cut out for safety, and thought of how Sansa's armor was very akin to her having her tongue cut out. Also a nice link to Payne. Not sure what this would mean, just a random thought that I hoped someone else might have insight into. I really think there is a larger theme about little birds, and singing, and wind that all connect and seem to be most obvious in Kings landing, therefore Sansa chapters, I'm just not sure what to make of it.

Silence has grim associations in this world, judging by the examples we've seen so far (Silent Sisters, Ilyn Payne, little birds, Euron's ship - lots of others, I think). Silence means death and oppression, and silence is also part of winter:

Sansa eased open the door, and made her way down the winding stair. When she opened the door to the garden, it was so lovely that she held her breath, unwilling to disturb such perfect beauty. The snow drifted down and down, all in ghostly silence, and lay thick and unbroken on the ground. All color had fled the world outside. It was a place of whites and blacks and greys. White towers and white snow and white statues, black shadows and black trees, the dark grey sky above. A pure world, Sansa thought. I do not belong here. (ASOS - SANSA VII)

The pure world is not a place for people who live and breathe and sing. Our little birds need to find their voices again if they're ever going to sing in the dawn.

Archived