Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Agree with others about Ant Man and Wasp, I would think the end of their movie is one of those two turning to ash, to add to the drama and linking the story lines.

It’d be pretty brutal, but a post-credit scene of his daughter flaking away would certainly raise the stakes for him in A4. If you need heroes who have nothing left to lose and are willing to make the tough decisions that they couldn’t in IW, that’d be one right there.

I think it would be a bit intrusive to that movie if it was anything other than a post-credit though, you couldn’t simply end the movie with that.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

is stronger than any other Marvel hero (I think),

I'm not super-familiar with Marvel, but isn't this overstating it a little? She's in the upper power-tier but doesn't seem separate from the likes of Thor or, for sheer strength, Hulk (who in-comic has no upper limit to his strength, at least by some writers). And obviously in-universe Scarlet Witch knocks her into a cocked hat, and there'll be other more complicated powersets that can deal with her.
And there's less well-known people like Quasar, although I don't see it very likely that he or she will be in the comics any time soon.

I mean, there's never a strongest hero in these things really. It depends on the righter and the aims of the story.

That's why I'm not convinced that Feige means she's going to overpower everyone when she comes in when he says they won't power her down. Keeping her true to her power level would be keeping the same powerset but putting her on the level of Thor and Hulk, wherever they are, not just slapping her in at the most powerful she's written and seeing her overwhelm the story.
But we'll see.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Does he decide? He simply says half of everyone must die, then they do. Half of all living people/aliens in the universe right, not just Avengers? You could see regular Wakanda fighters dying as well as Avengers. There is no way he could choose between a half trillion beings (or whatever the number is) in an instant right?

It was made pretty clear earlier on that the entire justification of his crusade to himself is that the deaths are going to be entirely random and not chosen by anyone.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

All three, I think. She can fly, survive in the vacuum of space, is stronger than any other Marvel hero (I think), can fire energy blasts from her hands, regenerates from damage near-instantly and can survive a nuclear explosion. She also has super-speed and reflexes (like near Quicksilver levels, maybe higher).

Thanks.  I don't know much about her, but for some reason I think of her as the Steve Rogers replacement.  Bucky will be Captain America, but an angsty one with baggage.  But we need a leader like Steve with a moral compass.  I assumed that that would be Carol.

I think of Steve as Marvel's Superman - not powerwise, obviously, but in terms of his idealistic nature, and the feeling that you get when he shows up: everything will be ok now.  Vision and Wanda are two of the most powerful Avengers, yet I was so relieved when Cap showed up - as was Wanda.  If he goes in Part 2, we need someone to replace Steve, not just Captain America.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not super-familiar with Marvel, but isn't this overstating it a little? She's in the upper power-tier but doesn't seem separate from the likes of Thor or, for sheer strength, Hulk (who in-comic has no upper limit to his strength, at least by some writers). And obviously in-universe Scarlet Witch knocks her into a cocked hat, and there'll be other more complicated powersets that can deal with her.
And there's less well-known people like Quasar, although I don't see it very likely that he or she will be in the comics any time soon.

MCU Scarlet Witch I think has been de-powered compared to her comic version, and it doesn't help we haven't had a more specific movie about her (she's played support in three films - almost extended cameos - instead) to get more of an idea of her power level. It'd be interesting if they had her in Doctor Strange 2 and we learned more about her powers there.

Thor is a more difficult one because the MCU version of the characters does seem to be more powerful than the comics one (although I certainly haven't read every Thor comic ever, so that may have changed). He's also increased in power level over the course of the series. He seems a lot stronger in Infinity War than during the original Thor, for example, which I put down to his new hammer and him unlocking new powers and abilities after his father died. He may be more comparable to Captain Marvel when it comes to things like strength and energy projection and flying (kind of), but she's going to knock him into a cocked hat with the super-speed and other elements.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hey! I had the same thought. Like they'll be stuck in the multi-verse with the original Wasp and get out just in time to see Pym melt away. 

So it's wasp if the rumours are true about antman scenes having already being filmed. It's one less character to juggle too. Although they could handwave that the microverse isn't the universe and hence they are immune if there when Thanos got his wish.

10 hours ago, dbunting said:

Side note, the previews were pretty good, Solo, Little Foot, DeadPool and Venom. Other than Little Foot I plan to see all of these, going to be a good movie year for me.

Solo actually looks promising but in a "it doesn't feel like star wars" way. It wasn't until solo turned up that I realised what it was and was thinking "ooh this looks interesting what SF film is this"?

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I could have watched another 3 hours of this. I barely felt the length of it. This movie had, by far, the best action scenes in the entire franchise. And a lot of that had to do with how menacing Thanos was throughout the movie. One of the strongest villains so far.

Good point. This was a short 2.5 hours. The film never dragged probably thanks to the constant pressure being applied.

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

BTW, I think that was the take off Juggernaut's helmet and beat him with Professor X plan they did there.

Actually the MCU could really do with a telepath. Mantis sort of worked with her empathy but imagine what a telepath could do. Then again there's a reason why Xavier gets taken out early in virtually every movie he features in . 

Does the MCU have a telepath? Feel as if there must have been one somewhere in all the films.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

Does the MCU have a telepath? Feel as if there must have been one somewhere in all the films.

Wanda messed with the Avengers' heads in AoU.  She seemed to stop using that power after that.  I assume she could make them see what she wanted them to see, which was deeply personal stuff, suggesting some form if telepathy.

26 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Wanda messed with the Avengers' heads in AoU.  She seemed to stop using that power after that.  I assume she could make them see what she wanted them to see, which was deeply personal stuff, suggesting some form if telepathy.

convenient she didn't do this in this film. Guess she was busy doing everything else at that point in the film.

I was thinking she could do that to Thanos - though she might be scared to.  Or make him compliant like she did to Sokovia.

I'm guessing she swore off the mind-messing after the damage it caused, and decided to focus on developing her other powers and using them to do good.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

MCU Scarlet Witch I think has been de-powered compared to her comic version, and it doesn't help we haven't had a more specific movie about her (she's played support in three films - almost extended cameos - instead) to get more of an idea of her power level. It'd be interesting if they had her in Doctor Strange 2 and we learned more about her powers there.

Really? Because she seemed so OP in this one. How many people can actually destroy an infinity stone? They should have put her front and center in the battle, destroy the entire army then go back and help Vision. One of the few gripes I have with this movie.

18 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I was thinking she could do that to Thanos - though she might be scared to.  Or make him compliant like she did to Sokovia.

I'm guessing she swore off the mind-messing after the damage it caused, and decided to focus on developing her other powers and using them to do good.

Her powers are sort of derived from an Infinity Stone (after experiments with Loki’s sceptre), so I’m guessing Thanos trumps her. Plus he has the reality stone, I think that would cancel out any attempts to make him see some other reality (which is basically what she did in Age of Ultron).

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Really? Because she seemed so OP in this one.

Scarlet Witch in the comics is more powerful than this one, sometimes vastly (when she's a reality warper, though I believe she currently isn't at that level), but she's also a lot more insane.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Thor is a more difficult one because the MCU version of the characters does seem to be more powerful than the comics one (although I certainly haven't read every Thor comic ever, so that may have changed). He's also increased in power level over the course of the series.

That happens in the comics too. I haven't read that many, but from what I have seen he's one of the characters whose powerset goes up and down the most depending on what the writer wants from him (though there's usually an explanation involved for why he's more OP than normal). But he's always upper-tier.

My point really is though that apart from Squirrel-Girl there's no one answer for 'who's the most powerful' and so I'm not too concerned about them messing up the balance with Ms Marvel when they've been so controlled so far in the movieverse. Even if she swoops in to save the day, I'm sure it'll be set up and well executed and they'll have thought about what it means going forward too.

Yes, generally I think they've been pretty good in the MCU about keeping power levels reasonable. Although when you think back to the original Avengers movie, Loki seems like a weak (powers-wise) arch-villain, albeit armed with an Infinity Stone with the scepter I guess.

They handled Thanos' power really well. He was frightening and throughout the movie I kept on thinking "How are they going to stop him? Thor better get his weapon before Thanos gets the other stones" etc. Too often the Marvel supervillains don't give a genuine threat level and it was good to see that they managed to do this despite so many Marvel storylines being about saving the universe, this time they made one that seemed quite real.

Re: telepaths, not many in the MCU since most of the telepathy stuff was tied up with X-Men (Professor X, Jean Grey, Emma Frost) and to be fair, telepathy is always a pretty overpowered thing that would open up plot holes everywhere unless handled very carefully. In the comics, Dr Strange and Scarlet Witch are pseudo-telepaths though not in the traditional sense.

I remember someone saying at some point that telepaths don’t exist, but I think that was Coulson in AoS so it may not apply to the movieverse any more.

I’m assuming regarding the two films coming before the next Avengers that a) Antman and Wasp will happen shortly before IW and only have a post-credit tie-in, and B) Captain Marvel’s post-credit scene will be the opposite end of Fury’s transmission.

I watched it yesterday evening and I'm stunned. Top three MCU films easily for me. I haven't expected it to be so funny, hilarious even at times.

Thanos is by far the best villain of the franchise, even if his motivations are somewhat questionable. (Why half the population, exactly? Why not 45 percent or 61 percent? And what abouts worlds that are far from being overcrowded, that are practically deserted, for that matter?).

By the way, did I not watch it carefully enough, or there wasn't the line from the trailer "But this does put a smile on my face"?

I wonder if the fact they spared Rocket means he dies in IWII.

2 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

I watched it yesterday evening and I'm stunned. Top three MCU films easily for me. I haven't expected it to be so funny, hilarious even at times.

Thanos is by far the best villain of the franchise, even if his motivations are somewhat questionable. (Why half the population, exactly? Why not 45 percent or 61 percent? And what abouts worlds that are far from being overcrowded, that are practically deserted, for that matter?).

By the way, did I not watch it carefully enough, or there wasn't the line from the trailer "But this does put a smile on my face"?

They had to leave at least one comic relief for part II.

9 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

By the way, did I not watch it carefully enough, or there wasn't the line from the trailer "But this does put a smile on my face"

I don’t think the ‘everyone running toward camera in the woods’ scene was in it either, as the Hulk was in that and obviously he’s not in any part other than the beginning.

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I don’t think the ‘everyone running toward camera in the woods’ scene was in it either, as the Hulk was in that and obviously he’s not in any part other than the beginning.

Yeah, I know thare's lots of stuff from the trailers that don't appear in the movies, I just wasn't sure if I simply missed it. And I guess it's easier to manipulate the footage than direct lines somebody says.

30 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Nah, I doubt they'll kill off all the ones who survived. I think it more likely that GoTG 3 becomes about rescuing Gamora or somesuch.

On 4/27/2018 at 4:50 PM, Jeor said:

I do think it's likely the heroes will change places - the originals who survived, some of them will die eventually in Part 2, and the newer ones who got disintegrated, most of them will live on. They can't possibly get rid of Black Panther et al after only just introducing them. The Disney accountants would go nuts.

I believe all the dusters will be revived. There may be some reality in which it doesn't happen, but this MCU simply cannot move forward after a loss of half the sentient beings in the universe. 

I was a little disappointed they didn't show the full extent of Thanos' flick. We're only shown the immediate aftermath at Wakanda and Titan. It would have held more weight to the stakes they were fighting for if we were shown, interspersed between the devasting losses to the heroes, the affect across the world and the universe.

Sure they showed a little in the end credits scene* but by then I was only interested in what hope we had for the next installment.

So I'm betting there'll be casualties among the survivors as they try to bring about a revival point, and those losses (like Heimdall, Loki and Gamora) will be permanent. I would prefer the scenario where Thanos through a redemption ark has a moment of clarity and rescinds his action, but I don't think it will come to that. I think they will give Stark the opportunity to put Thanos away. 

*Also interesting to read of people's in cinema end credits experiences. After 2 sold out viewings, both audiences sat in utter silence during the end credits - like a death in the family. 

Archived