Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

I spotted some people leaving during the credits - amazing how after so many Marvel films there are still people who don’t wait for the stinger. However, at least 95% of the audience stayed, which is more than i usually see

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

I remember someone saying at some point that telepaths don’t exist, but I think that was Coulson in AoS so it may not apply to the movieverse any more.

I'll be surprised if anything happening in the tv shows is ever treat as canon for the movies.

59 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

So the Hulk was too scared to face Thanos again? That was kind of weird. Banner didnt even turn into the Hulk when his friends were dying....

I think there's only black widow who Hulk would consider his friend. Maybe he's pissed he wasn't in civil war?

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Thanos is by far the best villain of the franchise, even if his motivations are somewhat questionable. (Why half the population, exactly? Why not 45 percent or 61 percent? And what abouts worlds that are far from being overcrowded, that are practically deserted, for that matter?).

Bottom line is that he's insane. But I think the scene where he first meets Gomorra and shows her the knife was the key part. For some reason he feels the universe is out of balance and needs half of life in the universe to disappear

23 minutes ago, ithanos said:

I believe all the dusters will be revived. There may be some reality in which it doesn't happen, but this MCU simply cannot move forward after a loss of half the sentient beings in the universe.

So I'm betting there'll be casualties among the survivors as they try to bring about a revival point, and those losses (like Heimdall, Loki and Gamora) will be permanent. I would prefer the scenario where Thanos through a redemption ark has a moment of clarity and rescinds his action, but I don't think it will come to that. I think they will give Stark the opportunity to put Thanos away. 

*Also interesting to read of people's in cinema end credits experiences. After 2 sold out viewings, both audiences sat in utter silence during the end credits - like a death in the family. 

This is why despite many saying it would be a cop out that the next film almost has to have a reset. If Thanos only brings back the 50% he erased then that's pretty shit for the people on the plane in the post credits scene and undoubtedly the countless others who died as a consequence of the 50% cull. I imagine that would still leave the Earth pretty devastated. Or maybe they'll do a post attack of New York thing and make out it wasn't that bad.

There was definitely a shocked silence at the end of the screening I attended too. Feel good movie it wasn't.

14 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think there's only black widow who Hulk would consider his friend. Maybe he's pissed he wasn't in civil war?

He seemed to get on well with Valkyrie.  And I think he'd consider Tony, Cap and Thor as friends.

I love the reactions from the audiences. Shows how well Marvel have done with these characters.  It does feel like losing friends. I suspect Part 2 will be even worse.

I loved it. I hope someone asks the Russos or Fiege what it was that put a smile on Thanos face cause I was wondering that too. I think Strange's "it was the only way" makes it clear that Stark will be crucial to defeating Thanos. As I said earlier I just hope it takes a while and the world (universe really) has to live with what's happened Leftovers style for at least a few years before Untitled Avengers Movie. 

Speaking of which the title of the next one was supposed to be a spoiler for this one, so do any of you who know the comics better have any ideas what it could be? 

I thought it was funny how we finally saw Parker's "spidey-sense" and it was alerting him to the incredibly obvious huge spaceship floating over the city. Also for like 90% of the movie Strange could have just rewound time a week or so to when he met Thor and warned him to go kill Thanos before he destroyed Xandar. 

I think my only real complaint is how it opens. I'd have liked to have seen him get the power stone and I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't spend 15-30 seconds showing Korg carry an unconscious Valkerie to an escape pod or something. 

Edit: it was also unexpectedly funny. "He's from space. He came to steal a necklace from a wizard." "wait, there's ant-man and a spider man?" 

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't spend 15-30 seconds showing Korg carry an unconscious Valkerie to an escape pod or something. 

Because they're not sure if Tessa Thompson will be back for Thor 4 (if it even happens), I think.

26 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Speaking of which the title of the next one was supposed to be a spoiler for this one, so do any of you who know the comics better have any ideas what it could be? 

Avengers Infinity part 2 - was probably the title that would have spoiled this one :)

They went to great lengths to backtrack and tell us this one was self contained so that we'd get the shock of the ending (and I think 2 part films run the risk of less people seeing the first one as they'd rather "binge it")

I suspect if it's not called Infinity part 2 it'll be something like "avengers: requiem" which would have also spoiled this one somewhat.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Because they're not sure if Tessa Thompson will be back for Thor 4 (if it even happens), I think.

I think her stock is rising with the films and TV shows she's popping up in. They'd probably have to give her a much juicier role to keep her around for Thor 4. If WB have any sense they'll give her a headline role in a birds of prey/batgirl film and poach her.

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Also for like 90% of the movie Strange could have just rewound time a week or so to when he met Thor and warned him to go kill Thanos before he destroyed Xandar.

It was frustrating how Thanos immediately made better use of the time stone than Strange did throughout the film. Hand wavey excuse - is that there was no point using it as Thanos would still come. While Thanos said aim for the head (and this could be useful time travel info for Thor) there's no saying it would have definitely worked. But I totally agree that Strange was remiss with his use of that power.

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I spotted some people leaving during the credits - amazing how after so many Marvel films there are still people who don’t wait for the stinger. However, at least 95% of the audience stayed, which is more than i usually see

The ones who leave probably have parking tickets or (as I've done when I know the post credit scene isn't major) just watch it on youtube a day or two later. But this one kept your bum on the seat because I think everyone was hoping for some glimmer of hope.

I like people's reckoning that this film's survivors are the ones most likely to die "for real" in the next one as some noble sacrifice. I still can't shake the feeling that Stark's arc reactor is going to wind up as some new infinity gem or his version of a gauntlet. Mainly because there was no narrative sense in showing us he was wearing it again. He doesn't need it to keep him alive anymore and while it's claimed it powers the nanite armour I just feel there's more to the emphasis surrounding it.

It will be an emo feels stomach punch if the only way they can undo things/wield the infinity gems is if Stark, Steve and Thor do so together (as established in GOTG - a stones destructive power can be shared) but burn out in the process. It'd probably be even more poetic if Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow were part of said cycle as it would truly issue in the next gen of the MCU. But I have a feeling it'll be the franchise holders not the one film/guest star avengers.

Still, I'm really hoping Feige gives Wahiti another Thor film to direct as I thing that would get Hemsworth on board for more. Otherwise it'll feel a bit like Logan where the actor finally gets a fim that lives up to the character only to be killed off.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

It was frustrating how Thanos immediately made better use of the time stone than Strange did throughout the film. Hand wavey excuse - is that there was no point using it as Thanos would still come. While Thanos said aim for the head (and this could be useful time travel info for Thor) there's no saying it would have definitely worked. But I totally agree that Strange was remiss with his use of that power.

I saw a comment elsewhere where someone had noticed Strange was still learning about his powers in this one, or at least trying to take them to the next level.  He isn't the Sorcerer Supreme yet, is he?  And maybe he was focused more on keeping the Time Stone safe rather than using it.  And, as it turns out, the Time Stone wasn't where we thought it was - maybe using it would have revealed its true location?

I like people's reckoning that this film's survivors are the ones most likely to die "for real" in the next one as some noble sacrifice. I still can't shake the feeling that Stark's arc reactor is going to wind up as some new infinity gem or his version of a gauntlet. Mainly because there was no narrative sense in showing us he was wearing it again. He doesn't need it to keep him alive anymore and while it's claimed it powers the nanite armour I just feel there's more to the emphasis surrounding it.

Ooh - I like the idea of Tony creating his own Infinity Stone.

I wondered after the first Guardians film which individuals could contain the Stones.  I can totally see your scenario happening :-(  Although I think Thor might survive because he has to - for what's left of his people.

Just seen it. 

Wow.

Loved it is the simplest review I can give.

Actually found myself tearing up a bit. When Spidey died and bizarrely when Thanos took out Captain America with one punch. 

Also it was weird to see a street in Edinburgh that I've walked up and down so often!

For those of you speculating those dead and whom sremains dead-- as the camera slow zoomed past Vision didn't anyone else notice his finger twitching? Stay dead? Dude didn't even die.

Saw it this afternoon. My initial thoughts:

- It's a terrific movie, but when I started to think seriously about where I would rank it, I concluded it ain't as good as Black Panther, SM: Homecoming, the original Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Ragnarok, and possibly even the original Thor in my book.

- The main reason for that, I realised, is that most of those movies are stories, whereas this is An Event. There are two distinct types of Marvel movies, stories and events. The Avengers movies are events.

- This movie doesn't beat the original Avengers because that was the original. But it beats Age of Ultron hollow. It is what a Marvel event movie should be. It's done well. It has some flaws because it is an event movie, but it masks them as well as it can and does what it does well. It's just that I don't like what it does as much as I do what the majority of the movies above do.

- In that respect, focusing on Thanos was the only move, in retrospect, and it works really well. Though Thanos' CGI was highly variable, and sometimes took me out of the moment.

- Plot-wise, there's no doubt that most of the lost characters will be back, and that has to be a deliberate choice. No way Marvel thinks they can sell the idea that these characters are genuinely dead. So there seem to me to be two reasons for that: one, they are clearing the decks for the next movie to be the swan song for many, if not all, of the 'survivors': and two, they don't really want audiences to think the events of Infinity War are going to stick.

- And why would they? They want audiences to come back to see how the Avengers are going to get out of this one. Nobody's going to come back if all they expect is two hours of grief and angst.

- There are clues all over the movie that this isn't meant to stick, the biggest of which is Strange essentially saying so.

- The mechanism for undoing the deaths has to be the Gauntlet. Nothing else makes narrative sense. The Gauntlet did this, it is the ultimate power in the MCU, it has to be the Gauntlet that undoes things. Probably wielded by Cap or Tony. The Gauntlet seemed to be wrecked at the end, but it can be rebuilt. We have the technology. Tony does, anyway.

- The scene near the end where Thanos turns up in... wherever it was, where he says to kid-Gamora that it's done, and she asks the price? That was stunningly effectively done, had a real impact on me. And I think it will prove to be very significant.

- This is a movie crying out for the extended edition. I need some more scenes of the Black Order, establishing them properly, some more character interactions, some more room to breathe.

Minor thoughts:

- It was a real kick seeing some places in Edinburgh that are personally significant to me in a superhero movie, not gonna lie.

- I actually bought the SW/Vision relationship this time. It worked better when given some real screen time, instead of being little more than a box-ticking exercise.

- I thought Karen Gillan and Zoe Saldana did some excellent work in this. Everyone was good, but those two were very, very good. And Tom Holland continues to be a revelation. It's frightening how good that kid is.

- The fucking Red Skull though. That was a nice touch. :)

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

they don't really want audiences to think the events of Infinity War are going to stick.

- And why would they? They want audiences to come back to see how the Avengers are going to get out of this one. Nobody's going to come back if all they expect is two hours of grief and angst.

I think Captain Marvel may well plant the seed of how this can be undone, then maybe follow that up with a trailer for A4 that hints at a way to bring them back.

3 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I saw a comment elsewhere where someone had noticed Strange was still learning about his powers in this one, or at least trying to take them to the next level.  He isn't the Sorcerer Supreme yet, is he?  And maybe he was focused more on keeping the Time Stone safe rather than using it.  And, as it turns out, the Time Stone wasn't where we thought it was - maybe using it would have revealed its true location?

I’m trying to remember if Strange used the stone at all in the whole movie? Did he ever rewind time? Is it possible the stone was never on him the whole time? Plus, they’ve been slightly vague with it ... with the apple, he rewound time for a specific area of space in front of him, as did Thanos with Vision. It could be that that’s all it does, rather than rewind everything everywhere. With Dormamu, he may have tied it together with an ‘in the event of my death’ spell that triggered the stone. 

32 minutes ago, mormont said:

No way Marvel thinks they can sell the idea that these characters are genuinely dead. So there seem to me to be two reasons for that: one, they are clearing the decks for the next movie to be the swan song for many, if not all, of the 'survivors': and two, they don't really want audiences to think the events of Infinity War are going to stick.

- There are clues all over the movie that this isn't meant to stick, the biggest of which is Strange essentially saying so.

And people online (including here) are fearing for the surviving heroes.  They know pretty much all of those "snapped" will return - we were never supposed to think that this was going to be permanent - but now we're speculating what the price will be to bring them back. Clever Marvel. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

- This movie doesn't beat the original Avengers because that was the original.

I don't think this on its own would be a particularly good reason to rate Avengers over this. If there is one, it's that the dramatic throughline in Avengers is a bit more cohesive, for the obvious reason that this just had so much going on- but I think this counters that problem by doing well to relentlessly build the tension regardless of which plot we're in by, as you say, focusing strongly on Thanos and him nearing his goal.
The other thing Avengers probably does a bit better is I don't think there's any single comic-booky-awesome moment delivered as well as 'I'm always angry' or the Helicarrier reveal or 'we have a Hulk', but on the other hand I feel this does the action better, which factors in this kind of thing (for me).
There's not really a lot between them though tbh. I wouldn't argue with anyone picking either one, although some of the effectiveness of IW will depend on part 2, of course.

Is it weird that this film reminded me of the end of Season 3 of Doctor Who?

I'm not going to quote every single post I want to reply to so my apologies.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Thanos was great and I'm really glad he was the main character. I thought the immediate transition to him already having one of the stones and having killed the Asgardians at the beginning was clunky. They could have had a post credit scenesof him destroying Xandar and retrieving one of the stones for a smoother transition (though that might have seemed cheap without seeing IW). And I think they should have showed more of him invading planets and being his genocidal self in other post credit scenes throughout the Marvel franchise. But I still liked him.

Other thoughts:

I also liked how they pulled off the Black Order (Maw in particular) given the runtime and all of the other characters.

Red Skull was a pleasant and a big surprise. Though I kept wondering how he survives on that planet and how he knows anything about the Soul stone.

Thanos getting the Soul Stone was the best part of the movie.

Not destroying the Mind stone to save Vision was stupid given the stakes. I thought it would have made more sense to be like "we can't outrun him, we'll have to fight him" given that Thanos has the Space stone. I also don't like that an Infinity Stone can be destroyed at all. That should not have even been entertained as a possibility through human technology or otherwise.

The Mind Stone and Time Stone should have been used more by the Avengers (did they use them all)?

Thor has grown into one of my favorite characters despite his whole hammer arc being completely unnecessary to the story. I would have given more time to T'Challa and Captain America.

Stark taking the fight to Thanos on Titan was another stupid idea given there were 3 people total (one of whom was a kid) and they're going up against a guy with 2 of the stones. They should have hid in another dimension with Thanos following them there (somehow). 

Time travel seems to be the only way to resolve the story... but then how do you kill people again? Like the idea of Steve and others sacrificing themselves to reverse time or reality.

I'll probably see this again in theaters.

Edit: Also, the credits had a thank you to Arrested Development for using one of it's characters. Had to google which scene they were referring to.

5 hours ago, The Number 10 said:

Just seen it. 

Wow.

Loved it is the simplest review I can give.

Actually found myself tearing up a bit. When Spidey died and bizarrely when Thanos took out Captain America with one punch. 

Also it was weird to see a street in Edinburgh that I've walked up and down so often!

I drunkenly broke my nose on that very hilly street! I could certainly empathise with Vision's pain when he was attacked.

5 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Ooh - I like the idea of Tony creating his own Infinity Stone.

I wondered after the first Guardians film which individuals could contain the Stones.  I can totally see your scenario happening :-(  Although I think Thor might survive because he has to - for what's left of his people.

Well, I guess if any of those three were to survive then the one who's a god probably has the best chance.

Not sure whether Ruffalo is as ready to leave the Franchise as the others but if he were a good way of doing so while Keeping the Hulk would be for Banner to sacrifice himslef while the Hulk lives on. They could then just have the Hulk in a few films before recasting.

As for where this one goes overall, I'm sort of with Mormont on the "event" tag. This is the culmination of all the films so far (with the exception of Ant-man) and it somehow managed to do the idea and the franchise as a whole justice. Black Panther was probably a better film but it didn't have as much weight behind it (well, it had the cultural weight, Avengers just has the MCU weight). But it more than made up for Age of Ultron without any doubt.

4 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

When they first meet, Iron Man asks Spider-Man where he came from. Spider-Man replies “the future”. Is this significant? My girlfriend thought it was meant to be a joke.

That stuck out to me too but then I forgot about it. My split second thought was that I had missed a Back to the Future reference given all the 80s movies jokes but I'm not sure I got that right.

Im kind of burned out on MCU.  Skipped ant man, strange, ragnorak, black panther and if there was a spidey stand alone that too.  Only watched guardians 2 because I was flying back from Titancon.  Quit AoS.  But this sounds kind of enticing.

Archived