Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Two random thoughts:

The Spiderman I'm from the future line. Didn't even THINK about that. Makes one wonder.

And as others have said, no one in my showing said a word during the entire credits. Just shocked silence.

Where was that line again, I remember him saying it, but I am wracking my brain when.

Yeah he says "A field trip to No..." the rest of what he says is hard to determine, as he gets pulled away. I'm sure someone will piece together where the school bus was headed.

More random thoughts... Why is there both a Space Stone and a Time Stone? Shouldn't it just be a Space and Time Stone? 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I only just realized what a dick move it was for Thanos to kill half the Asgardians on the ship. They already lost probably more than half their population in Ragnorok. Then when he snaps his fingers presumably half of the survivors of the ship attack turn to ash...

Had this thought too. All those worlds Thanos & his cronies' visited. To be subject to another culling is just mean. And I know they didn't, but had his Black Order survived, would they have been subject to the dice roll? 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I forgot about Ronin. I guess his family got snapped then :( But he'll be in Ant-Man and the Wasp as Hawkeye apparently. 

Speaking of which, I'd say the odds are pretty good that one of the post-credits scenes for Ant-Man and the Wasp will involve people close to Scott disappearing due to the Snap. IIRC the movie takes place not too long before Infinity War. 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:08 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Don't you secretly want him to win?   Oh, dammit, Thanos just blew up the Kardashians and he got away with it!   End credits.

Victory!    Yes!    ....right?    So Why does it feel so hollow!  Epic throughout, then numbingly incomplete feel afterwards.    Like it makes me want to ask, "why were we wishing for effective villains again?" 

I was feeling some of the battle stuff, but the Voldemort deaths blowing in the wind didn't seem to matter quite as much as maybe the Russos would have preferred.   Could that have been brought home heavier, or was the film doing something more devious by bringing me around to the Thanos perspective of "this isn't so bad"???    Odd how purge films are a whole genre of their own now.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's really only the Vision situation that's bad, because they had the opportunity to take the necessary action, or at least make it a contingency action. We're not going to kill you right now, but if X Y and Z happen we'll do it. The movie would have been better if they had agreed in Act1 to sacrifice Vision in Act 2 or 3 if things were not going their way. But things don't go their way in a way that causes them to mis-time sacrificing vision in a way that allows Thanos to get the mind stone. It would have been perfectly fine for the Wanda-Vision scene to happen the way it did, but the lead up should have been different.

But Cap would never do that (although that might change in Part 2 ...).  He would fight to the end to save one life.  If Cap is still in any fit state to fight then Vision doesn't die. Which is why Tony will have to make a horrible decision in Part 2 :mellow: 

16 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

But Cap would never do that (although that might change in Part 2 ...).  He would fight to the end to save one life.  If Cap is still in any fit state to fight then Vision doesn't die. Which is why Tony will have to make a horrible decision in Part 2 :mellow: 

I think Cap's whole "we don't trade lives" shtick applies to everyone except for him. I think he's quite prepared to sacrifice himself (if it came to that), he just doesn't want to countenance anyone else doing it.

I really hope we see more Asgardians (Valkyrie!) and Thor makes it through Part 2. With Ragnarok it feels like they have a lot of life left in the franchise, if Hemsworth is willing to stay on. Then again, without Loki and Heimdall have lost a lot of Asgardian minor characters.

Oh yes - Steve is quite prepared to sacrifice himself - just not anyone else, even if they are willing to sacrifice themselves!

Agreed on Thor.  Taika Waititi brought out the best in Chris Hemsworth and the cosmic craziness that Thor needs - I want to see another Thor film by those two.  But Lokiless?  That's going to be a challenge.

I dunno, I personally think the formula they’ve found (Origin, Sequel, 3rd movie with more heroes) works quite well. I can’t say I’d be that excited by a Thor 4 that was just Thor and no other notable people. Feels fresher to move on to other properties. It’s why Iron Man 3 fell a little flat for me, and why Cap 3 (bonus Tony) and Thor 3 (bonus Hulk) worked better. I mean, not just that, but part of it. Maybe if they switched to a female Thor (Valkyrie?) and had a bit of a Guardians crossover, something bold like that, I might be interested.

I agree that Thor 4 would have to be well thought-out, but the character of Thor himself still has some life left in him I think. He's got the whole defending his remaining people thing going on. I agree without Loki it will be difficult to come up with more interesting dynamics so a team-up might be the way to go. Or if they had a Thor continuation with Valkyrie, where Thor was more a supporting cast member (playing the Odin-like role).

Everyone is talking about the heart-wrenching death of Peter Parker, but equally heart-wrenching is Thor trying to keep a light mood, while acknowledging he lost everything. I definitely want to see more of Thor.

Thor's conversation with Rocket was heartbreaking :crying:  Which is why I forgive him for trying to crush Thanos' heart rather than beheading him or chopping off his gauntlet arm.  (Although he could have cut off the arm and then crushed his heart, but whatevs.)

With a potential Thor 4 I'm more worried about the antagonist than the supporting cast, and the general challenge of finding something for them to do. They've got to make a funny film that also deals with the fallout of an unimagineable tragedy, and getting the balance right while also having a cogent through-plot will be tough.

If they do that, I think Waititi, if it is him, can handle the 'other interesting characters' part. After all his imports and creations for Ragnarok were pretty on-point. I can definitely see a Guardians crossover, or at least a part for Rocket, though.

Would be kinda ironic if the phase 1 character they had the most worries about ended up being the only one with a fourth film.

Enchantress!     Right?    If Thor's heart is in a vulnerable state, it's time for her to swoop in to prey on him.   She could give him back much of whatz been lost through illusions, taking advantage of his grief but also building him back up enough to want it all back for real when he sees how the illusions are unhealthy.  Sif could do some Wake up to what's real, like me! helping but then cry because she's part of the illusions that have to fade when Thor throws off Enchantress control.  Trouble is disney won't allow Enchantress this window of opportunity if they bring everything back too soon in Avengers 4.

Just got back from seeing it, just a general: with that many characters it held together well. Thanos was awesome, and given I share some overpopulation concerns (in an Earth context,) I didn't find his motivation too outrageous, even though they blew it up to extremes. The Black Order though suffered, I don't think any of them were named except Maw.

I actually fucking teared up when Spider-Man disintegrated, he was so scared.

And damn right Captain Marvel will save the day.

Red Skull? Was that just because of all the internet speculation? Because that was really out of nowhere.

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

Had this thought too. All those worlds Thanos & his cronies' visited. To be subject to another culling is just mean. And I know they didn't, but had his Black Order survived, would they have been subject to the dice roll? 

Thanos seems to choose in some way who gets disappeared. He must do, or else he isn’t keeping his promise to Strange that Stark survives. So the already culled planets were probably fine.  Plus he makes sure he survives himself, which he must care about at least a bit since he taunts Thor over almost killing him.

I thought Tony’s ending where he’s left alone on a planet where everybody else dies was even sadder than Thor’s tragedy.  Thor is a 1500 year old god after all. Plus Tony has to work out pretty quickly that he’s definitely going to die in the next film.

4 minutes ago, john said:

Thanos seems to choose in some way who gets disappeared. He must do, or else he isn’t keeping his promise to Strange that Stark survives. So the already culled planets were probably fine.  Plus he makes sure he survives himself, which he must care about at least a bit since he taunts Thor over almost killing him.

I thought Tony’s ending where he’s left alone on a planet where everybody else dies was even sadder than Thor’s tragedy.  Thor is a 1500 year old god after all. Plus Tony has to work out pretty quickly that he’s definitely going to die in the next film.

I thought the deaths were random, because that's what Thanos wanted on his own planet initially. Dr. Strange saw all the possible futures, and knew that Tony wouldn't die as a result of the snap. But Thanos probably wouldn't know, so I don't know. Then again, Thanos spared Tony's life then and there in exchange for the time stone, he made no promises Tony would live to old age or something along those lines.

Also, Nebula survived, so Tony is in the best company. :P

Archived