Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

Thanos may be mad in the comics, i don't know.  But here he's not.  The star of this movie was rational evil that's called madness by civilizations founded on out-of-control humping.   Which is not sustainable and therefore a kind of madness.   But those civs can't accept Thanos' suggestion as true medicine without condemning themselves to a heaven born from the ruddy glow of hell's forge.   So each is trapped.   Civs can't reign themselves in without doing something horrible and uncivilized, and Thanos is left as the only one willing to do his duty.    The only thing "silly" about this plot is how soon, and how often, he'd have to do it again....and again, to truly sustain life in the universe via his method of gardening.  Our populations recover so fast from setbacks.  What's needed is genetic alteration.  Chastity belts that grow on our bodies as part of our coded dna.  Mental harmonization with nature to keep our population in check.  Etc.

5 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The only thing "silly" about this plot is how soon, and how often, he'd have to do it again....and again, 

Uhh......no. Taking a specific planetary problem that only affects some planets and scaling up to the whole universe makes no sense. At all.

Unless you were joking in which case HAHAHAHAHA

After watching the newest Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer, I'm more convinced that they will make it to the next Avengers movie. Why? Well, because I suspect they will not actually be IN our universe at the time Thanos does the Finger-Snap of Doom. The trailer has mention of opening up the "Quantum Realm" which is an alternate dimension. Marvel has long used the "Multiverse" theory in which our universe is just one of many. 

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum_Realm

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Multiverse

51 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I thought the deaths were random, because that's what Thanos wanted on his own planet initially. Dr. Strange saw all the possible futures, and knew that Tony wouldn't die as a result of the snap. But Thanos probably wouldn't know, so I don't know. Then again, Thanos spared Tony's life then and there in exchange for the time stone, he made no promises Tony would live to old age or something along those lines.

Also, Nebula survived, so Tony is in the best company. :P

I think Thanos purposely spared them both.  He promised Dr. Strange and he promised Gamora respectively

Does Nebula survive? I could’ve sworn she dies too, just later than everybody else.  Must have blanked on that for some reason.  As for how they chose, well they just chose all the biggest stars to survive. :P Samuel L is the biggest name in actor terms that gets dusted.

"No tricks."

So Thanos does have Time.   But when Strange was close, being choked, did he do some sleight of hand to take back another of the stones?  The big "I'm a god now" power celebration moment seemed to say Thanos has all 6 for real.  But what if Strange used Time and Reality during the brief moment he was in contact with both?  All the universe wide killoffs could then be taking place in a special reality built just for Thanos to enjoy.   This would cheapen things, though, like the soul stone wouldn't get to cough up all the souls in a cool way, etc.    Maybe this idea would work best as a final sendoff for Thanos.  Let him think he's won while he lives in a harmless fantasy world conjured up by Reality, then the team meets Kevin Bacon.

20 minutes ago, john said:

Does Nebula survive? I could’ve sworn she dies too, just later than everybody else.  Must have blanked on that for some reason.  As for how they chose, well they just chose all the biggest stars to survive. :P Samuel L is the biggest name in actor terms that gets dusted.

Nope, she lived, along with Rocket. 

Oddly Vision also didn't get dusted. If they can somehow restore him, he could be kicking around. 

I'd also say Chris Pratt getting dusted was a pretty big deal. 

I just realized that the movie killed off the majority of the funny characters: Drax, Groot, Star-Lord, Falcon, Spider-Man. Thor and Rocket are still around to provide some light-hearted entertainment, Bruce/Hulk are a bit weird now, while Stark will probably be too shaken to be funny. Avengers 4 may be one of the most humorless MCU films. Maybe Korg can come back for it, if he survived. 

Behold this mighty infographic on the status of every character at the end of Infinity War. Nebula's not on there, but she definitely survived.

Some more spoilers from the set of the movies:

Ant-Man goes back in time and meets Captain America, potentially during the Battle of New York. There's also scenes set in the 1940s.

Here's an idea: with the help of time travel, Thanos is defeated and everyone is un-dusted. Captain America (and Bucky?) is given an opportunity to go back to his own time and he accepts. We learn that he kept a low profile, reunited with Peggy after the end of her series and basically everyone covered up his survival as he lived off-the-grid. He gets 'retired', with the possibility of someone else taking over (Falcon, to echo the comics?) and in a way that makes it difficult for him to return. If they wanted to get meta, they could have him show up as a really old man at some point.

On 30/04/2018 at 1:06 PM, Mosi Mynn said:

I think Cap was able to hold Thanos (briefly) because Thanos was not expecting it.  Cap was giving his all and Thanos looked a little bewildered as to how this man was managing to hold him.  He dealt with Cap pretty easily after that.  Although Cap did survive being punched in the face by Thanos with nary a broken bone - I think Cap's superpower is that he's infused with pure awesomeness.

He's "Capman" :P

I'm trying to remember if Cap took that punch with his palms or those weird shield gauntlets? If it was the gauntlets it might be they were made from vibranium in which case it's more plausible he could take a punch from Thanos. If it had been his regular Shield I'd have taken that as the reason.

But it's most likely his patriotic virginity is the thing that allows him to righteously block a punch from Thanos.

Sometimes you just have to roll with these things because it seemed like Black Widow and some of Black Panther's elite guard were also able to handle one of Thanos minions (who had previously been holding their own against Vision and Scarlet witch).

It's just softening us up for when Hawkeye manages to backhand Thanos across a room with his bow in Avengers 4 ...

31 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Dr Strange obviously has some sort of plan. I think that's obvious.

Also, title for next film: Avengers: Left Behind

I do think a film or even a short animated film released online that dealt with some of the ramifications of the dusting on Earth would be fascinating.  The religious side of things would be fascinating.  Would Tony be seen as some sort of Biblical figure like the Anti-Christ?

So out of the people who are actually dead - Vision is synthetic and can probably be resurrected. Gamora’s in the soul stone. Loki will probably come back too (possibly different actor though). But Heimdall is definitely dead.  Poor Heimdall.  I mean, Thor just went straight out and replaced him with a rainbow hammer axe.

I

2 hours ago, john said:

So out of the people who are actually dead - Vision is synthetic and can probably be resurrected. Gamora’s in the soul stone. Loki will probably come back too (possibly different actor though). But Heimdall is definitely dead.  Poor Heimdall.  I mean, Thor just went straight out and replaced him with a rainbow hammer axe.

Shuri got pretty far, right? I'd totally watch a Scarlet Witch / recovering Vision movie where they are a retired couple and in his weakened state the part of Ultron that got uploaded into vision takes control while he sleeps or something. 

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

Ant-Man goes back in time and meets Captain America, potentially during the Battle of New York. There's also scenes set in the 1940s.

Here's an idea: with the help of time travel, Thanos is defeated and everyone is un-dusted. Captain America (and Bucky?) is given an opportunity to go back to his own time and he accepts. We learn that he kept a low profile, reunited with Peggy after the end of her series and basically everyone covered up his survival as he lived off-the-grid. He gets 'retired', with the possibility of someone else taking over (Falcon, to echo the comics?) and in a way that makes it difficult for him to return. If they wanted to get meta, they could have him show up as a really old man at some point.

I just don't see Cap taking any kind of a back seat.

Also:

Spoiler

Peggy lived her life and had a family. Would either she or Cap be willing to undo them for selfish reasons?  

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Behold this mighty infographic on the status of every character at the end of Infinity War. Nebula's not on there, but she definitely survived.

Reveal hidden contents

If they undo Agent Carter I will riot. Or at least write a stiff letter of complaint. 

12 hours ago, red snow said:

But it's most likely his patriotic virginity is the thing that allows him to righteously block a punch from Thanos.

:lol:

I'm amazed Tony hasn't brought up Cap's "patriotic virginity"!

Sometimes you just have to roll with these things because it seemed like Black Widow and some of Black Panther's elite guard were also able to handle one of Thanos minions (who had previously been holding their own against Vision and Scarlet witch).

Vision was nerfed - though still managed to fight a bit.  Wanda should have been able to deal with them by herself, but she was completely panicking because she thought Vision was going to die.  Whereas Cap, Nat and Sam were all completely cool and confident - I can see how that would make a difference. 

Archived