Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

Saw it again Tuesday on a "epic" screen. I was just as engaged the second time as I was the first. One tiny detail I saw this time on Thanos, they actually had tiny little hairs on the back of his neck. There was a close up scene, I think when they are at the collectors place, a close up side profile of Thanos and for some reason I noticed that they added tiny human like hairs on him. Don't know why that sticks with me, maybe appreciating the attention to detail? Odd part is he is you don't see hair anywhere else on him?...

Also, Thor shouldn't have aimed for his head as Thanos reccomends. He should have aimed for his arm to cut the gauntlet off or at least damage the arm enough that he couldn't move his hand. Of course then there wouldn't be a part two.

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It also helps tremendously that the beats for Infinity War were planned out years in advance, were largely set in stone and were used as guidelines for the last 3 years of movies. In that way we get payoffs that are organic and reasonable, instead of having to answer questions that had no defined answer (and still may not be clear). Keep in mind that I love TLJ, but the Marvel universe shows quite clearly what having an overall plan can do for your story if you do a good job with it. Infinity War didn't have to do any real backstory lifting or catch up as to why anything was being done, nor did it have to introduce character motivations and explain 20 years of why a hero wouldn't have helped. 

Totally agree.

Luke didn't even bother me when i watched it in the cinema, but after thinking about it just a little bit the idea that the guy who would not give up on Darth Vader abandoned a nephew he's known since birth,  also abandoned nephew's confused and devastated parents,  and left him to terrorise the galaxy, doesn't make sense!

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Peggy Carter never has a family, per se. Sharon is her niece.

Also yes if they mess with Agent Carter I will be mad.

I thought one of the Captain America films said she got married and had two sons.  Did I make that up?

Re: the Odin stuff, in the comics it would make sense for Thanos to wait until Odin was dead or incapacitated, but in the MCU I'm not sure they're really going with the same power levels. A few articles have popped up about how Odin is powerful enough to wipe the floor with Thanos based on the comics, but I don't think MCU is tied to that. It's probably a combination of lots of things. Why didn't Thanos collect them earlier?

• He was waiting for more info about the Soul Stone (from Nebula)
  • He needed the Gauntlet from Nidavellir, which would have been difficult while Odin was around to protect them (Odin would at least be more trouble than Xandar). Though why Odin has a fake gauntlet in his vault implies that maybe the dwarves had already made the real one by then? Who knows. But presumably he needed the gauntlet before he started collecting the stones so until that was complete (and it seemed quite recent), no point in going after them.
  • He probably always figured he could get the Power Stone from Xandar without too much trouble so no need to go after it straight away until he was ready.

I just rewatched Winter Soldier last night (since it was one of the other Marvel films done by the Russo brothers) and I loved it even more than when I first saw it. It blended a decent cast of characters with reasonable screentime (Cap, Widow, Falcon, Fury) and maintained a cohesive narrative and delivered on the excitement. 

I think it's pretty clear that by doing Winter Soldier as a first entree, then Civil War as a big warmup, the Russo brothers were being groomed for handling the gargantuan ensemble of Infinity War, especially once Whedon departed (who would have been the only other one with that sort of experience in the MCU).

Marvel had better hope they can keep Feige interested in building the next slate, as this seems like a pretty definitive ending of the first stage. Knowing what little I do of the industry, I don't even know how a mortal human being can produce 2-3 big budget movies per year on his own.

9 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I thought one of the Captain America films said she got married and had two sons.  Did I make that up?

Yep there was a bed side scene, I believe not long before she dies. Don't specifically remember the details but I think a family was mentioned.

Yes, Asgard was a powerful realm that would have put up a great deal of resistance to Thanos.

I wonder what happened to Surtur when Asgard imploded?

4 hours ago, Jeor said:

Re: the Odin stuff, in the comics it would make sense for Thanos to wait until Odin was dead or incapacitated,

Dunno about that.  When I was reading the Infinity Gauntlet seem to remember Odin and a bunch of other Really Special People (like Zeus) got stuck on Asgard.  Thanos still defeated all the "cosmic entities," which included Galactus, the Celestials, really stupid shit like Love/Hate and Order/Chaos, and eventually Death and "Mephisto" (the devil).  Then he also beat "Eternity," which was apparently something like the universe itself.  So...yeah.  I think Odin may have been able to take on Thanos in the MCU, but not in the comics.  Or at least not the ones I read on a whim.

19 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Dunno about that.  When I was reading the Infinity Gauntlet seem to remember Odin and a bunch of other Really Special People (like Zeus) got stuck on Asgard.  Thanos still defeated all the "cosmic entities," which included Galactus, the Celestials, really stupid shit like Love/Hate and Order/Chaos, and eventually Death and "Mephisto" (the devil).  Then he also beat "Eternity," which was apparently something like the universe itself.  So...yeah.  I think Odin may have been able to take on Thanos in the MCU, but not in the comics.  Or at least not the ones I read on a whim.

Wasn't that after Thanos got the Infinity Gauntlet, though? I was talking more about Odin preventing him from gathering the Stones in the first place.

20 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well all that was with the Gauntlet. Without it Odin has defeated Thanos straight up(in the comics).

21 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Wasn't that after Thanos got the Infinity Gauntlet, though? I was talking more about Odin preventing him from gathering the Stones in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Well all that was with the Gauntlet. Without it Odin has defeated Thanos straight up(in the comics).

Yes.  My bad.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

Yes, Asgard was a powerful realm that would have put up a great deal of resistance to Thanos.

I wonder what happened to Surtur when Asgard imploded?

Surtur said that he could not die until he had fulfilled his destiny and destroyed Asgard. I suspect he died, and that that's what he wanted.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yep there was a bed side scene, I believe not long before she dies. Don't specifically remember the details but I think a family was mentioned.

I don't think it was mentioned during the bedside scene.  Going on memory here...but there was a scene in the Smithsonian, where they had a "Captain America display" or something.  And one of the displays was a video of 1950s-era Peggy Carter saying something like "I met my husband because Captain America saved him during WWII".  I don't recall any mention of kids, though.  By the end of season 2 of "Agent Carter", they were heavily implying that she would end up with....Daniel????....the agent who had to walk with a cane.

5 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I don't think it was mentioned during the bedside scene.  Going on memory here...but there was a scene in the Smithsonian, where they had a "Captain America display" or something.  And one of the displays was a video of 1950s-era Peggy Carter saying something like "I met my husband because Captain America saved him during WWII".  I don't recall any mention of kids, though.  By the end of season 2 of "Agent Carter", they were heavily implying that she would end up with....Daniel????....the agent who had to walk with a cane.

That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half our battalion behind the German line. Steve...Captain Rogers, he fought his way through a HYDRA blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over a thousand men, including the man who would...who would become my husband as it turned out. Even after he died, Steve was still changing my life.

Then at the funeral there's no indication she had children. So I think she was married without kids.

3 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

How do we know those are her children? And not Sharon and a brother? Sharon's funeral speech suggests they were very close.

The google searches for Captain Marvel have skyrocketed:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=Captain marvel#TIMESERIES

I'll have to watch the scene again to see what was actually said!  I was left with the impression Peggy had a family of her own after coming to terms with Steve's loss - and I remember being very pleased for her!

So........   is Thanos what we've got now, ongoing?  (i.e. he maybe loses the gauntlet but survives, limps away, takes a movie or two off so there can be some variety where other people get to shine, but then we see him come back with some new scheme that makes him relevant to the heroes again, the same way we were gifted with Loki for a while in order for Marvel to get their money's worth out of the villain.  Or is Thanos so unloved that he wouldn't work out in that kind of hangin' around for the long haul way, and he just needs a quick definitive end?    I favor keeping him around for the sake of eventual matchups when we do gain access to more of the celestial characters.   

Archived