Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

Just saw this for the second time in the cinemas. It holds up well second time around - its relentless pace is still there but the edge is taken off since you know how things end up. Some observations:

1. Captain America's first appearance (rescuing Vision/Wanda) is still an awesome moment.

2. Strange's plan is definitely still in play. The time where they almost beat Thanos (and then Quill buggered it up), when he's gloating at Thanos, Quill says it was his plan. So I reckon Strange's plan is still going in the background and they just took a potshot with Quill's plan, when you take into account Strange's earlier speech about not hesitating to sacrifice Tony for the Time stone (which he does a complete 180 turn on after seeing the future), his "We're entering the endgame now" and the "there was no other way" at the end. All amount to Strange still having something in play here.

3. I thought it was instructive to see which guys gave Thanos the most trouble (and how the MCU people wanted to portray each hero vs Thanos). Thor at the end with Stormbreaker had a big moment. But Strange and Stark both had some pretty good moments against him on Titan. Strange held his own in a "magic" sort of battle with Thanos for a while, and then Stark managed to draw blood with some heavy-duty Iron Man moves. Cap had that little moment where Thanos was surprised this human was holding out against him, but if I were to back one hero against Thanos based on how they went in the movie, it would be (in descending order) Thor, Iron Man, Strange.

4. The Infinity Gauntlet at the end was definitely looking a bit broken after Thanos used it. It looked charred and melted when he vanished (after Thor) and it looked the same when he had it at the end looking at the sunrise. I wonder if that will somehow come into play in Avengers 4.

56 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Just saw this for the second time in the cinemas. It holds up well second time around - its relentless pace is still there but the edge is taken off since you know how things end up. Some observations:

1. Captain America's first appearance (rescuing Vision/Wanda) is still an awesome moment.

2. Strange's plan is definitely still in play. The time where they almost beat Thanos (and then Quill buggered it up), when he's gloating at Thanos, Quill says it was his plan. So I reckon Strange's plan is still going in the background and they just took a potshot with Quill's plan, when you take into account Strange's earlier speech about not hesitating to sacrifice Tony for the Time stone (which he does a complete 180 turn on after seeing the future), his "We're entering the endgame now" and the "there was no other way" at the end. All amount to Strange still having something in play here.

3. I thought it was instructive to see which guys gave Thanos the most trouble (and how the MCU people wanted to portray each hero vs Thanos). Thor at the end with Stormbreaker had a big moment. But Strange and Stark both had some pretty good moments against him on Titan. Strange held his own in a "magic" sort of battle with Thanos for a while, and then Stark managed to draw blood with some heavy-duty Iron Man moves. Cap had that little moment where Thanos was surprised this human was holding out against him, but if I were to back one hero against Thanos based on how they went in the movie, it would be (in descending order) Thor, Iron Man, Strange.

4. The Infinity Gauntlet at the end was definitely looking a bit broken after Thanos used it. It looked charred and melted when he vanished (after Thor) and it looked the same when he had it at the end looking at the sunrise. I wonder if that will somehow come into play in Avengers 4.

3. Can't argue with your list but would at Scarlett Witch to it. She was fighting Thanos and trying to help Vision at the same time and held her own pretty well.

4.  There is an interview where the director mentions that Thanos' action when using the full power did damage to it and Thanos himself.

I'm taking a guess that all the damage will eventually prove to be about is that when it's eventually used to reset the universe it'll disintegrate completely so they don't have to make up excuses for why he doesn't just take the gauntlet again and click it back again.

If it was also damaging to Thanos himself, which isn't clear in the movie, then what will happen is that one of Iron Man or Cap will die from enacting the reboot.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

As debunting said, Wanda held him at bay with half her power - and both she and Strange got Snapped.  Also, Wanda could use her mind-altering powers on Thanos.  I also think Hulk needs to work through his Thanos issues.

I wonder if they will address how T'Challa getting Snapped affects Wakanda.  Is Shuri Queen?  Will she be challenged?  I don't think she wants to be Queen, and she should be helping Tony, Rocket, Bruce, Thor and Wong figure everything out anyway.  So will M'Baku be King?

Archived