NFL Draft Part 2: Who HASN'T said racist things on Twitter when they were a teenager?!?

Trebla

The mental gymnastics going on right now over Josh Allen's now deleted tweets are amazing. People are mad not at him (he was just a kid!) but at the people who found and re-tweeted the tweets he made while he was in HS. 

If you want to excuse Josh Allen because he was 16 or 17, fine. But he's not a kid anymore and he had ample time to delete those tweets. A "grownup" like his agent should have advised him to get rid of them the day he decided to go pro.

I do agree that the very first thing any draft entrant should do is scrub their social media.

I’m still just reeling from the fact that Schefter spent all morning on ESPN Radio saying that he is hearing the Browns are seriously considering Mayfield at One.

That would be the most Browns thing ever.

Also... I thank God every day that I lived my fraternity days before digital cameras and social media.

Back then, if you wanted to make a mistake that would follow you forever... you got a tattoo.

Allen not having scrubbed that himself (let alone his agent) is pretty ridiculous.  Being an NFL qb is all about effectively preparing yourself to succeed, given limited time.   Failing to do even the most basic preparation for the draft is a bad sign. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Allen not having scrubbed that himself (let alone his agent) is pretty ridiculous.  Being an NFL qb is all about effectively preparing yourself to succeed, given limited time.   Failing to do even the most basic preparation for the draft is a bad sign. 

Maybe he did scrub some, but he only succeeded with 56% of them. :lol: 

What I find confusing is that it took forever to dig those tweets up for Allen and yet White Dante from Villanova only got to enjoy his shine for a few hours before his tweet got dug up.

You’d think people would have learned from Trubisky’s failure to scrub his account last year, though I do agree with his sentiments.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Also... I thank God every day that I lived my fraternity days before digital cameras and social media.

Back then, if you wanted to make a mistake that would follow you forever... you got a tattoo.

Oh, completely agreed!  I'm so glad all the stupid shit I did in my youth pretty much only lives on in participants' and observers' memories:P

Also, I happened upon this article on Slate: The Most Dangerous Brain in the NFL.  I thought it was kind of an interesting take...

The NFL’s distrust of Rosen isn’t about money; it’s about class and concussions. At a time when the league is on the defensive about player safety and youth football participation is falling, the outspoken, freethinking Rosen is a star player the league might not be able to control.

4 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

I thought Mayfield was generally considered the best  of this year's QB draft class? Wouldn't it be more Browns to pick somebody like Mason Rudolph with the first pick?

He has some character issues and he's pretty short for a QB, 6'1. There have certainly been successful QB's that size in the NFL but I'm trying to think how many were Top 10 picks in the modern era? The only one I can think of is Michael Vick who is 6'0 but he also ran a 4.3 40. By comparison, Baker Mayfield ran a 4.8. Hell, I ran a 4.7 in HS and I was a wrestler!

I'm not saying he won't be a good QB but drafting him #1 with those measurables seems dicey. 

1 minute ago, Trebla said:

He has some character issues and he's pretty short for a QB, 6'1. There have certainly been successful QB's that size in the NFL but I'm trying to think how many were Top 10 picks in the modern era? The only one I can think of is Michael Vick who is 6'0 but he also ran a 4.3 40. By comparison, Baker Mayfield ran a 4.8. Hell, I ran a 4.7 in HS and I was a wrestler!

I'm not saying he won't be a good QB but drafting him #1 with those measurables seems dicey. 

Is height going to be that important? Rodgers is 6'2, Brees is 6', Russel Wilson is 5'11. That's not to say of course that Mayfield will be the same quality as any of them once he hits the pros, but Mayfield's passing measurables appear to be better than anybody else's. Then again drafting quarterbacks is apparently a crap shoot for the most part. I personally would've gone Chubbs and Barkley if I was in charge of the Browns and kept Tyrod Taylor who is a decent quarterback. Alas I am a graduate student and not the GM of a pro football team.

I wasn't aware of character issues. Don't pay that much attention to college football to be entirely honest.

8 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I think that conventional wisdom is less insistent on height being an important factor than it was previously.  Two of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league are shorter than Mayfield (Wilson and Brees).  Those guys being underdrafted doesn't matter.  What matters is that quarterbacks who have demonstrated success in college (something Mayfield, Wilson and Brees all did) can become great pros. 

As far as I can tell the character stuff if overplayed. He grabbed his crotch. So what? He planted a flag on another team’s field. So what? That’s actually pretty awesome. He was drunk in public. What college student hasn’t been there?

The only off the field concern I’d have is that he couldn’t outrun a campus cop. But his 40 time is only a small amount behind Rodgers, and he can do damage with his legs. You don’t need to have world class speed. You just need to be able to move in the pocket and pick up cheap first downs when the defense gives them to you.  

50 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think that conventional wisdom is less insistent on height being an important factor than it was previously.  Two of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league are shorter than Mayfield (Wilson and Brees).  Those guys being underdrafted doesn't matter.  What matters is that quarterback who have demonstrated success in college (something Mayfield, Wilson and Brees all did) can become great pros. 

GM's and scoutslook at measurables because those things matter. You need a QB who can see over a line and throw over it. Not every short QB can do what Brees and Wilson do in the pocket. I remember Bill Parcells talking about QB size and throwing motion being a huge factor on whether balls get batted do

wn on the line. Lots of QB's have demonstrated success in college but have been exposed in the NFL.

Draft capital also does matter a lot. Trading down and getting the guy you wanted as well as more picks is EXTREMELY valuable. Speaking of Brees, he went with the first pick of the 2nd round. SD was QB needy but they picked the best overall player on their board: LT. Now of course they soured on Brees (he also got hurt) but the fact remains they drafted two Hall of Fame players by not reaching.

50 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

I wasn't aware of character issues. Don't pay that much attention to college football to be entirely honest.

It was more on the field than off, though he did get arrested for public intoxication and fleeing police. He planted an Oklahoma flag in the middle of the Ohio State field and against Kansas he grabbed his junk and yell FU at coach. Of course, he still did win the Heisman.

56 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

:agree:Ruthless lol

Not looking that much into completion % over the kids college career, in my opinion it's just another number for the nerds to crunch. Tarkenton is in the Hall at a 57% completion QB :dunno:

Good luck with Tarkenton in today's NFL

Also, Tarkenton in college had a better % than Allen does.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I do agree that the very first thing any draft entrant should do is scrub their social media.

I’m still just reeling from the fact that Schefter spent all morning on ESPN Radio saying that he is hearing the Browns are seriously considering Mayfield at One.

That would be the most Browns thing ever.

Mayfield is the best quarterback in this draft, and it's not particularly close.

3 minutes ago, Trebla said:

GM's and scoutslook at measurables because those things matter. You need a QB who can see over a line and throw over it. Not every short QB can do what Brees and Wilson do in the pocket. I remember Bill Parcells talking about QB size and throwing motion being a huge factor on whether balls get batted do

wn on the line. Lots of QB's have demonstrated success in college but have been exposed in the NFL.

Draft capital also does matter a lot. Trading down and getting the guy you wanted as well as more picks is EXTREMELY valuable. Speaking of Brees, he went with the first pick of the 2nd round. SD was QB needy but they picked the best overall player on their board: LT. Now of course they soured on Brees (he also got hurt) but the fact remains they drafted two Hall of Fame players by not reaching.

It was more on the field than off, though he did get a DUI. He planted an Oklahoma flag in the middle of the Ohio State field against Kansas he grabbed his junk and yell FU at coach. Of course, he still did win the Heisman.

He didn't get a DUI. He was drunk and ran from the cops and got tackled into a wall.

I'm becoming more enamoured of Mayfield in principle. Obviously if he goes to the Browns he'll be a failure, but that's the Browns. Otherwise if you're going for a QB who can be good right away, do well enough for 4 years and then look for another one, he's a good candidate. I think Rosen would be better if he can stay healthy, but that's a big if. 

21 minutes ago, sperry said:

He didn't get a DUI. He was drunk and ran from the cops and got tackled into a wall.

Fixed. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm becoming more enamoured of Mayfield in principle. Obviously if he goes to the Browns he'll be a failure, but that's the Browns. Otherwise if you're going for a QB who can be good right away, do well enough for 4 years and then look for another one, he's a good candidate. I think Rosen would be better if he can stay healthy, but that's a big if. 

I like Rosen on principle. Along with injury conerns, he's not "footbally" enough and "thinks too much" is what some people say yet the same people defend Mayfield and Allen. And I'm not talking about ppl on here, I'm talking about sports talking heads. 

For the record, Darnold would be my top pick followed by Rosen in the Top 10. Even before all this started, I pegged Allen as the most overrated prospect. He's not Carson Wentz. I'd go Mayfield and then Lamar Jackson in the teens. Of course we live in a world where obviously flawed QB's like Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert have been drafted in the Top 10 so I expect 4 to get picked in the Top 10 and a 5th to go in the Top 15.

Archived