NFL Draft Part 2: Who HASN'T said racist things on Twitter when they were a teenager?!?

Trebla

40 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

LOVE the Barkley pick. Now take either Hernandez or Daniels tomorrow. 

Heh, you're one of the few.  I fuck around on a Yanks board, which obviously has a lot of Giants fans.  SO MANY are apoplectic.  It's funny to watch.

7 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Heh, you're one of the few.  I fuck around on a Yanks board, which obviously has a lot of Giants fans.  SO MANY are apoplectic.  It's funny to watch.

And that’s the great thing about the draft. We spend months reading about it.  Stay up late watching it.  And in the end, we know nothing more today than we knew yesterday.  Who will be good?  Who will bust?  Who will we look back on in 2025 with sagacious posts titled “Redrafting the 2018 draft” and making obvious statements in retrospect.

12 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I know. I went to a Giants forum and some dudes were going nuts. Eli is running on fumes and trading down would’ve probably been smarter but whatevs. They’ll just have to figure out a QB plan later on I guess... or reach for Rudolph. I’m actually kinda relieved Lamar was taken too because you’d figure Giants would have to take him if he was available... and unlike some here I don’t think he’s the long term answer.

Although I was watching with another NY fan and he was fucking sour about Ravens swooping in. It would’ve been something getting probably the 2 the most exciting players coming out.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And in the end, we know nothing more today than we knew yesterday.

Yep.  Bradley Chubb could end up being a chump.  You know at least 2 of these 4 QBs are gonna be busts.  Honestly, I always love drafts, because they give hope, but it's a laugher.  The NBA draft is the same way, let alone the MLB - which is entirely a crapshoot.  The Yanks got Dillon Tate, he looks like he could be awesome in the pen, at least, but the Rangers traded him (along with two other decent pitchers) for a year after drafting him 5th overall for two months of ancient Carlos Beltran.  I could list off similar failures in NFL and NBA (don't follow hockey).  But if my team's into it?  Ya never know man!  Could always catch that one guy that confounds expectations.  That's the fun of it.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Although I was watching with another NY fan and he was fucking sour about Ravens swooping in. It would’ve been something getting probably the 2 the most exciting players coming out.

Meh, you guys still got Eli.  I know it's the NY way to quit on people right quick, but i think he's got a couple more years in him.  They can draft somebody next year if they suck again.  I really don't have a dog in the fight, but if I were you, I'd be find going with retard face for one more go-round.

I will say, Mayfield wasn't my favorite QB in this draft, but I can at least appreciate that he seems to be someone who wants to be the guy to turn the Browns around.  If he succeeds, he's going to be a fucking legend in Cleveland, and I think he knows that and wants that.  He and Darnold were the only two guys who really seemed to want that, and I respect the hell out of a QB who wants to buck the odds and succeed in Cleveland.

By the way, I do really appreciate that it was Buffalo, the team that benched their perfectly capable black QB for Nathan fucking Peterman (who proceeded to be absolutely embarrassing as a starting QB) and then ran that black QB out of town, that traded up to grab the racist.  Can't really write a better story than that.

7 hours ago, dmc515 said:

It seemed clear Ridley was gonna fall, but I'm surprised how far.  That dude was in the top 10-15 in most mocks for most of the season.  Good on the Falcons for getting him at 26.  

I think he went to the perfect place. He doesn't seem like a #1 receiver to me but a really good #2. He should be able to be that for Atlanta.

9 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Just let me know ahead of time if you're spitting on me for cheering them on or you're looking for a sex thing.

I don't want any miscommunications.

Can it be both?

Winners:

Cardinals

Dolphins

Ravens

Honorable Mentions: Broncos and Colts (and I’d say the same if you traded players)

Losers:

Giants

Bills, I can’t even…..

Half the teams that let Ridley fall that far.

Seattle?

The What Are You Doing Award (The Brownie):

Browns – I get Mayfield in a vacuum. I’ve argued he’s one of the three best QBs, and I like him and Rosen better than Darnold (I like Jackson more too, but that’s a minority opinion). But I fear they’re repeating a mistake. Manziel recently said the Browns poorly scouted him because they didn’t know that he was a poor study of the playbook. So is Mayfield.  

Ward at four? They probably could have traded back for a good DB and several picks. Or you could have taken Nelson or Chubb, who will probably be better players.

I’ll say this, I laid out several ways the Browns could go, but the above never once crossed my mind. Tonight showed you should have grabbed Chubb, then Nelson, then traded nothing to move up and grab Jackson, then hunt DBs in the second round.

I’d call you losers, but your team simply doesn’t know what it’s doing!

Fraud Award:

Patriots – You had two shots at Jackson. And the team that picked after you was able to trade out for someone you claimed to want. Cheers to being dishonest, bad businessmen.

I think Mayfield is a surefire franchise guy, and I really don't understand how there was even debate about it. Dude is special.

I think Jackson will be solid. I see a Tyrod Taylor-esque career for him.

Darnold is a weird one for me. He has a ton of potential, but he could also be a huge bust. I actually think he would have done better with any of the other franchises that need QBs, as he is not ready to play right now and it would have helped to sit behind Tyrod Taylor or Sam Bradford a year.

Rosen is a bust, I think. So many red flags. Injured all the time, including multiple concussions. Was the 4th worst performer of the 5 in college. Not accurate and his teams didn't win. Weird dude, doesn't seem particularly likeable.

Josh Allen. Dude is legitimately bad at football. Christian Hackenberg is a better football player than Allen, and Hackenberg is so bad that the Jets literally could not put him on the field. I doubt he ever beats out A.J. McCarran.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

By the way, I do really appreciate that it was Buffalo, the team that benched their perfectly capable black QB for Nathan fucking Peterman (who proceeded to be absolutely embarrassing as a starting QB) and then ran that black QB out of town, that traded up to grab the racist.  Can't really write a better story than that.

Absolutely!  And screw Allen for acting like he's the aggrieved party:rolleyes:  I'm still shaking my head at that whole Peterman thing and I'm embarrassed I was forced to kick the tires on him in a couple of fantasy leagues last year (I was heavily invested in Rodgers).

I wonder how icy Allen's reception will be in that locker room?  I suppose everyone has to make the best of it but...damn! 

And @Tywin et al., you were thinking the Vikes would trade out of the first round but they stayed put and took the DB Hughes.  What do you think?  Seems like a good pick to me.  And, for what it's worth, Mrs. PotN thought her Vikes would go DB the whole way.   

I didn’t realize this, but the Browns had two top 5 picks and failed to take one consensus top 5 player. That’s kind of amazing!

32 minutes ago, sperry said:

Rosen is a bust, I think. So many red flags. Injured all the time, including multiple concussions. Was the 4th worst performer of the 5 in college. Not accurate and his teams didn't win. Weird dude, doesn't seem particularly likeable.

I don’t get why you’re so down on Rosen. He was the best pure passer and he’s the smartest of the bunch. I think you can build around that. I honestly think his upside is comparable to Rodgers, and Rodgers himself has said he sees a lot of himself in Rosen, both as a person and a player.

Josh Allen. Dude is legitimately bad at football. Christian Hackenberg is a better football player than Allen, and Hackenberg is so bad that the Jets literally could not put him on the field. I doubt he ever beats out A.J. McCarran.

I’m listening to the radio and they are listing some of his single game stats, and they are nothing short of horrifying. He was god awful basically every time he played a decent team.

26 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

And @Tywin et al., you were thinking the Vikes would trade out of the first round but they stayed put and took the DB Hughes.  What do you think?  Seems like a good pick to me.  And, for what it's worth, Mrs. PotN thought her Vikes would go DB the whole way.   

I don’t know anything about the player, but I Googled him afterwards and he has good measurable and most grades had him as a top 25 player, so I guess that’s good value. What it ultimately means though is that Trae Waynes is the odd man out in the young players getting paid carousel. Honestly, it’s probably the right move, but now the MUST get a guard in the second round.

Also, I starting to get annoyed at their strategy of stock piling 6th round picks. They’ve been doing it for years and every time they just cut the guys. I hot the package 2 6s and a 5 for a 4.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t know anything about the player, but I Googled him afterwards and he has good measurable and most grades had him as a top 25 player, so I guess that’s good value. What it ultimately means though is that Trae Waynes is the odd man out in the young players getting paid carousel. Honestly, it’s probably the right move, but now the MUST get a guard in the second round.

Also, I starting to get annoyed at their strategy of stock piling 6th round picks. They’ve been doing it for years and every time they just cut the guys. I hot the package 2 6s and a 5 for a 4.

I didn't know anything about Hughes either but I thought it seemed like a decent pick because surely they'd need DB help due to losing old man Newman.  Then I just read in the Star Trib that Zim supposedly thinks Newman can still play and that Hughes was not drafted to push Alexander.  Don't know how much of all that I believe but I don't think it hurts to have another seemingly talented DB (with return skills) in the fold:dunno: 

The 5-10 Hughes can play as an outside corner or in the slot, Zimmer said, though the coach said Hughes wasn’t drafted to push third-year corner Mackensie Alexander. Zimmer said there’s still a chance 39-year-old Terence Newman could return in 2018, and the team’s depth at cornerback could enable the coach to use nickel packages with four corners and one safety.

And I didn't know that about the stockpiling of 6th round picks.  What are they gonna do with all those?!  I'm with you - combine some of them into a more valuable pick or something!  And, yes, the Vikes definitely need to concentrate on protecting their $84 million man Cousins now.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

I didn't know anything about Hughes either but I thought it seemed like a decent pick because surely they'd need DB help due to losing old man Newman.  Then I just read in the Star Trib that Zim supposedly thinks Newman can still play and that Hughes was not drafted to push Alexander.  Don't know how much of all that I believe but I don't think it hurts to have another seemingly talented DB (with return skills) in the fold:dunno: 

And I didn't know that about the stockpiling of 6th round picks.  What are they gonna do with all those?!  I'm with you - combine some of them into a more valuable pick or something!  And, yes, the Vikes definitely need to concentrate on protecting their $84 million man Cousins now.

Why should we need help at DB? Newman is an old man and we have three first round picks and a guy who should have been drafted in the first round at DB. Now we have another first rounder. At some point you need to make it work with what you have. The DBs have one bad game at the end of the year and people think the secondary is broken. That wasn’t the problem though. It was that Foles had all day to throw the ball. I’d rather look for another pass rusher than another DB. Our front four is elite, but there’s no depth.

We’ve been stockpiling late picks for ages. It’s because we trade back a lot. However, they don’t materialize into anything.

Archived