NFL Draft Part 2: Who HASN'T said racist things on Twitter when they were a teenager?!?

Trebla

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Football is inherently an unsafe game, and there's no way to make it safer without massive changes to the game. And as a result we're getting this watered down product and that, more than any other reason, is why people are quitting football. 

Long live the XFL!!!!

5 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Richie Incognito is nuts lol.  I still want the Colts signing him to a 1 year deal.  Incognito is a true alpha dog with great technique.  Colts could have one of the best interior offensive lines for many years to come.  A respected pro-bowler barking into them at training camp could be exactly what they need to become elite.

I’m trying to decide if you posted this before or after it was announced that he was being held for psychiatric evaluation today after throwing a bar bell at a fellow gym patron today. :dunno:   The guy barely deserves to be in human society, much less holding a lucrative job in the public eye.

In similar news... Reuben Foster had his charges dropped today.  So as a Niners fan... hooray???

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In similar news... Reuben Foster had his charges dropped today.  So as a Niners fan... hooray???

Another ... hooray???

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jed-york-says-49ers-abstained-nfl-anthem-vote

Jed did better than the 31 other invertebrates that voted ... but, ya know, you could have voted no and actually take a 'stand'.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Was about to mention this anyway, and it goes so well with the "are you going to keep watching" question.  My initial reaction to Foster getting his charges dropped was positive.  Should I be ashamed of that?  Is hoping your team can field the best team possible unacceptable in light of the individuals on that team's actions?  

This is where liberals are getting too PC.  It's the same thing with the entertainment industry.  Can I defend Polanski in anyway?  Fuck no, but I'm not gonna pretend The Pianist isn't the best WWII movie ever and I won't watch it again.  Just like I'm not gonna not watch On the Waterfront, Streetcar, or The Godfather because of the horrific thing Marlon Brando did - on film - in Last Tango of Paris.  I mean, really, where does the logic end.  I smoke Marlboro Reds.  We all patronize plenty of corporations that are run by people that at least we vehemently disagree with, and probably have also done unspeakable things.  It seems entirely exhausting to keep track of all the moral implications of simply being a consumer.

@Rhom I posted it after the dumbbell throwing incident today.  

And people had the same criticisms with Mike Tyson for years.  Both of them were bullied at a young age and became the successful alpha male later in life.  Tyson has dealt with substance abuse problems and I think it's fairly obvious Incognito is an alcoholic.  They both appear to be extremely friendly with those they trust but will be extremely abusive towards those who cross them.

Well at least they didn't try to include the 15 yard penalties like first reported. IDK, if I am a player I may try to rally the entire team to kneel for the opening game without anyone knowing ahead of time, not that fake shit Jerry Jones did last year. That would draw way more attention than anything else. Do it once and move on. Or worse, both teams stay in the locker room and don't come out on time for one game. Nothing ridiculous, just like 5 min. Enough to make a statement but not alienate fans who at the time wouldn't know what was going on.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well at least they didn't try to include the 15 yard penalties like first reported. IDK, if I am a player I may try to rally the entire team to kneel for the opening game without anyone knowing ahead of time, not that fake shit Jerry Jones did last year. That would draw way more attention than anything else. Do it once and move on. Or worse, both teams stay in the locker room and don't come out on time for one game. Nothing ridiculous, just like 5 min. Enough to make a statement but not alienate fans who at the time wouldn't know what was going on.

I like this idea. There's nothing like Directorial Overreach to unify a people.

Kal, I hear you. And, it’s definitely on my mind. 

Sorry to get all heavy in a sports thread, but like 75 years ago a guy said:

” We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men – not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular”

9 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

I like this idea. There's nothing like Directorial Overreach to unify a people.

Exactly. Tell me I can't do something that I wasn't even doing and watch me do it even better than those before me.

17 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Kal, I hear you. And, it’s definitely on my mind. 

” We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men – not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular”

"We hardly need to be reminded that we are living in an age of confusion. A lot of us have traded in our beliefs for bitterness and cynicism or for a heavy package of despair, or even a quivering portion of hysteria. Opinions can be picked up cheap in the market place while such commodities as courage and fortitude and faith are in alarmingly short supply. "

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

” We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men – not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate, and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular

First, CBS consistently tried to push Murrow out, and eventually succeeded, so I don't really get if that's supposed to be a triumphant or bitter quote.  Second, do math.  That famous report was 3/9/54.  That's (almost) sixty five years ago, not seventy five.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The horse named Gronkowski, who is partially owned by Gronkowski, has been given 69-1 odds at the Belmont Stakes. The race will take place on 6/9.  

Signs point to a contract extension, for the human, that should leave both parties satisfied with  reciprocal rewards. But it'll probably feel awkward at times.

17 hours ago, dmc515 said:

This is where liberals are getting too PC.  It's the same thing with the entertainment industry.  Can I defend Polanski in anyway?  Fuck no, but I'm not gonna pretend The Pianist isn't the best WWII movie ever and I won't watch it again.  Just like I'm not gonna not watch On the Waterfront, Streetcar, or The Godfather because of the horrific thing Marlon Brando did - on film - in Last Tango of Paris.  I mean, really, where does the logic end.  I smoke Marlboro Reds.  We all patronize plenty of corporations that are run by people that at least we vehemently disagree with, and probably have also done unspeakable things.  It seems entirely exhausting to keep track of all the moral implications of simply being a consumer.

Again, it ends when the value it gives you is outweighed by the cost it has to you to support it. Simple as that. Everything is problematic. Ignoring that is not the answer. 

With this bullshit -- I'm probably done with watching the NFL and will decide what to do with fantasy at some point too.

That said -- I've been thinking about how to support the players while not supporting the league. Buying Kaep or Eric Reid jerseys support the players while dumping money into the coffers of the NFL. It's not clear from Kaep's website that the T-Shirt that they sell goes to charity -- or, frankly, even to him. http://kaepernick7.com/store/

Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Week said:

With this bullshit -- I'm probably done with watching the NFL and will decide what to do with fantasy at some point too.

That said -- I've been thinking about how to support the players while not supporting the league. Buying Kaep or Eric Reid jerseys support the players while dumping money into the coffers of the NFL. It's not clear from Kaep's website that the T-Shirt that they sell goes to charity -- or, frankly, even to him. http://kaepernick7.com/store/

Thoughts?

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. The NFL is nefarious in numerous ways, but this issue doesn't feel like it should be the one that makes you quit the sport. (i) They should have had the rule in place anyways once they agree to take the military's money, (ii) smarter people would have just had the players come out after the anthem like they used to and (iii) the kneeling had largely lost its effect anyways. 

That said, the best way to help the athletes is by donating to their charities. Research the ones that overlap with causes that are important to you and give them a little bit of coin. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think this is a bit of an overreaction. The NFL is nefarious in numerous ways, but this issue doesn't feel like it should be the one that makes you quit the sport. (i) They should have had the rule in place anyways once they agree to take the military's money, (ii) smarter people would have just had the players come out after the anthem like they used to and (iii) the kneeling had largely lost its effect anyways. 

That said, the best way to help the athletes is by donating to their charities. Research the ones that overlap with causes that are important to you and give them a little bit of coin. 

More of a straw that breaks the camel's back.

Charities are where I'm looking -- though not finding exactly what I'm seeking.

18 minutes ago, Week said:

More of a straw that breaks the camel's back.

Charities are where I'm looking -- though not finding exactly what I'm seeking.

I mean I get that, it just seems like a mighty small straw.

What are you looking for? I'm sure there must be a giant list covering which athletes support which issues. 

Archived