NFL Draft Part 2: Who HASN'T said racist things on Twitter when they were a teenager?!?

Trebla

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but the 49ers are sort of trolling their fans. They won't serve food or beer or sell merchandise during the national anthem. Ha! 

I think that's fucking perfect. The House of York is rising in my estimation.

Also, it was suggested by Sage "Helicopter" Rosenfels.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sagerosenfels18/status/999333807957463040

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think that's fucking perfect. The House of York is rising in my estimation.

Also, it was suggested by Sage "Helicopter" Rosenfels.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sagerosenfels18/status/999333807957463040

The sub thread from that tweet was hilarious. I like the guy saying he's been to 13 different stadiums and claims all places stop serving during the anthem. For starters, that's so not true because I have bought a ton of beers during the anthem. I wish I had a twitter account so I could hit him back with "Why are you watching the concession stands during the anthem? You're disrespecting the flag!!!"

11 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Signs point to a contract extension, for the human, that should leave both parties satisfied with  reciprocal rewards. But it'll probably feel awkward at times.

Nice...subtle, but nice.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Nice...subtle, but nice.

6 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

It took me a minute. On account of being a stupid.

Gosh, and here I thought I'd laid it on a little thick. ;)

On 5/24/2018 at 2:23 AM, dmc515 said:

First, CBS consistently tried to push Murrow out, and eventually succeeded, so I don't really get if that's supposed to be a triumphant or bitter quote.  Second, do math.  That famous report was 3/9/54.  That's (almost) sixty five years ago, not seventy five.

I honestly don’t understand your post. My quote was meant ironically; not sure whether you consider that bitter or triumphant. 

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I honestly don’t understand your post. My quote was meant ironically; not sure whether you consider that bitter or triumphant. 

No one even acknowledged mine :bawl:

Cassius Marsh is a huge, gigantic baby.

So, another NFL player just hates that the Pats make their players, you know, play.  Marsh reveals in an interview/therapy session that:

“They don’t have fun there,” Marsh said. “There’s nothing fun about it. There’s nothing happy about it. I didn’t enjoy any of my time there, you know what I’m saying? It made me, for the first time in my life, think about not playing football because I hated it that much.”

Marsh also revealed in the interview that Belichick would routinely take away his binkie before nap-time and rarely heat up his cookies when it was snack time.  

I think the other reason Marsh may have hated football is because he sucked out-loud for the 8 games he was with the Pats.  

Anyway... 

I know, by law, I have to comment on the National Anthem ... thing?  Controversy?  Cluster-fuck?  So here goes:

Despite the NFL owners' best efforts, I think this issue is going to go away.  First off, this story was DYING before President "Culture War"opened his mouth; they were down to something like 11 players kneeling.  And then the whole league decided that Trump was a tool bag and kneeling made a comeback.  Second, the owners know that more so than any other Sport, the NFL is watched by people who secretly rooted for the Empire in Star Wars.  Football is the sport of Conservatism and is still huge in places that almost elected Roy Moore and DID elect Rick Perry.  They have to pacify these people.  To ignore that is dumb; you cannot ignore your customers or they will stop being your customers.  

But the NFL also knows that their players will revolt and if that invades the on-field product, it won't matter because then the marketplace will kill the NFL and its inferior product.  Also controversy ALWAYS hurts the bottom line.  

So, third, the NFL knew it 1) had to do something 2) do little enough to not upset the players.  So they did this: players have to stand during the anthem; if they do not their TEAM will be fined.  Not them.  The Players will not be fined.  I think, theoretically, the team COULD pass the penalty onto the players but that would enrage the NFLPA and start needless acrimony and arbitration and nobody wants that.  So, I think its unlikely that teams pass on the fines to the players.  So player protest will continue.  

Or maybe not.  One thing that is good about this rule, is that its made months before any games will be played. And there is a very good chance that any resentment towards this rule will simply go away with time and players will take the field and if they kneel teams will play meaningless fines for a bit before this all goes away.  Like it was going to anyway before Trumper-fuck started talking. 

As for ME- me PERSONALLY and not a fan and not a person trying to decipher owner intent etc - I hate this rule; I think its dumb.  I think the owners are grossly out-of-touch and I do not like ANY rule passed by ANYONE that interferes with the individual's right to express themselves.  I think we should always listen to the views of the person who thinks differently.  

I am absolutely going to keep watching.  No regrets and no shame.

LoveRock, give it a break. People fucking hate being in NE. I'm not sure why you guys are so defensive about it, you don't have to work there. Isn't One For the Thumb enough to salve the wound?

6 hours ago, Rockroi said:

To ignore that is dumb; you cannot ignore your customers or they will stop being your customers.  

Tell that to Vince McMahon.  He's been actively antagonizing his customers for a decade now and steadily losing viewers year over year and Fox just paid him a billion dollars for it.

10 hours ago, Rockroi said:

First off, this story was DYING before President "Culture War"opened his mouth; they were down to something like 11 players kneeling.  And then the whole league decided that Trump was a tool bag and kneeling made a comeback.

This is a good point.

10 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Second, the owners know that more so than any other Sport, the NFL is watched by people who secretly rooted for the Empire in Star Wars.  Football is the sport of Conservatism and is still huge in places that almost elected Roy Moore and DID elect Rick Perry.  They have to pacify these people.  To ignore that is dumb; you cannot ignore your customers or they will stop being your customers.  

According to a 538 article last year, this isn't really true.  The NFL is actually the least partisan sport (whereas the NBA/MLB/NHL are more popular in Democratic leaning markets while NASCAR - big surprise - plus college football/basketball are more popular in GOP leaning markets), and a SurveyMonkey poll they commissioned showed NFL fans identify more as Democrat than Republican by a 6 point margin.

Kaepernick’s blackballing case just took an interesting turn:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23650046/nfl-owners-note-donald-trump-attempt-influence-anthem-views

It only takes two owners talking to each other, and that appears to have happened, not that it’s a surprise.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kaepernick’s blackballing case just took an interesting turn:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23650046/nfl-owners-note-donald-trump-attempt-influence-anthem-views

It only takes two owners talking to each other, and that appears to have happened, not that it’s a surprise.

They have to be talking about blackballing Kaepernick for it to make a difference, just talking about the anthem issue and Trump, I don't see how that helps his case.  

17 hours ago, dmc515 said:

According to a 538 article last year, this isn't really true.  The NFL is actually the least partisan sport (whereas the NBA/MLB/NHL are more popular in Democratic leaning markets while NASCAR - big surprise - plus college football/basketball are more popular in GOP leaning markets), and a SurveyMonkey poll they commissioned showed NFL fans identify more as Democrat than Republican by a 6 point margin.

Right, but I did not say its ONLY popular with the Right; I said that moreso than any other sport, Conservatives are a big part of the NFL marketing.  I should have said "Pro sport" which They make up- according to the data you provided, roughly 40-50% of the base.  That's a pretty sizable chunk; you can't just alienate those folks.  That was my point.  

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

Right, but I did not say its ONLY popular with the Right; I said that moreso than any other sport, Conservatives are a big part of the NFL marketing.  I should have said "Pro sport" which They make up- according to the data you provided, roughly 40-50% of the base.  That's a pretty sizable chunk; you can't just alienate those folks.  That was my point.  

Fair enough.  Just wanted to clarify the often-propagated depiction of NFL fans as predominately "patriotic" or flag-waving conservatives is inaccurate.  In actuality, they most closely reflect the entire population in terms of partisanship.  Which completely makes sense considering it's the most popular sport.

Archived