Book series with best character development?

Buster

The best part of ASOIAF for me is the relatable and believable main characters like Jaime and Theon, who throughout the series go through ordeals that fundamentally change who they are and completely change how the readers perceive them. Has anyone got any recommendations for a book series of any genre that has characters as good or even better than these?

My vote would go to the Vorkosigan series. I think Bujold is one of the best authors in SF at writing characters and their interactions. She can show characters evolving without dramatically changing their fundamentals, and is really good for subverting the reader's previously established conceptions of those characters.

As far as Series go, Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy is a bit ahead in my heart.

The Long Price is pretty amazing too, and since I'm bringing up boring usual suspects, I should mention Bakker and Abercrombie, who pretty much cook their grimdark out of ground character psyche.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

My vote would go to the Vorkosigan series. I think Bujold is one of the best authors in SF at writing characters and their interactions. She can show characters evolving without dramatically changing their fundamentals, and is really good for subverting the reader's previously established conceptions of those characters.

6 hours ago, Errant Bard said:

As far as Series go, Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy is a bit ahead in my heart.

The Long Price is pretty amazing too, and since I'm bringing up boring usual suspects, I should mention Bakker and Abercrombie, who pretty much cook their grimdark out of ground character psyche.

These.  And not just The Liveship Traders, but the entire Realm of the Elderlings series.  Watching Fitz grow and change (and doing it with him as the series was released over the course of 22 years), is one of my most enjoyable reading experiences.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Bakker has about as much character development as a potato.

Maybe so, and the same for Abercrombie, but they still do some nice psychological character study, so I brought them up. I mean, you could say the same of Dostoyevsky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 3:22 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

These.  And not just The Liveship Traders, but the entire Realm of the Elderlings series.  Watching Fitz grow and change (and doing it with him as the series was released over the course of 22 years), is one of my most enjoyable reading experiences.

This.  It's better than ASoIaF IMO.  16 books, some of the most believable characters in fantasy, non-human POVs that still deliver character development, definitely the most emotional series I've ever read, and that ending....  This should be at the top of anybody's list.

ASOIAF is obviously the best in the genre when it comes to characters (more fleshed than in any other fantasy series I've read) with Realm of Elderlings being second (although Rain Wild Chronicles sucked). Main character in Long Price Quartet has such an amazing development.  Jorg is not bad in the Broken Empire .

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Don't know if it was mentioend yet, I think it was, maybe by me, I dunno but anyway:

Dagger and the Coin has some of the best character development I can think of.

Whom in particular? I thought that most of them were kind of the same, just got slightly more mature (the blonde girl became more manipulative) and the Tyrant became more evil with power. The others kind of remained the same.

I’m not not even finished the Dagger and Coin series yet (have just read book 3) and think it’s completely inaccurate to say there is no character development. Pretty much all of them have fundamentally changed from book one. And you didn’t even mention Clara, seriously? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived