Could Ned knight someone? Further, does lordship or kingship enable you to make knights?

Leonardo

Kings are crowned by the faith traditionally in regards to the latest dynastic trends in Westeros, which would imply to me an ability to knight someone.

However other matters are less clear; I always imagined Ned being able to knight people but now that I think about it the only reference is Catelyn talking about men swearing themselves into Ned's service.

I believe any knight can make a knight. In terms of a Lord doing this, I'm not entirely sure. I imagine if any knight can make a knight, then a lord would be able to. But I'm not sure if there's anything in the text to support that. It might be a case of only a knight can make a knight, with the exception of a King who can do whatever the heck he wants.

Jory said that most old northern houses usually don't make or have knights, and like Cat said an oath of service is not a knight.

As far as Kings, idk. But Queens, Dany asked Jorah to knight Whiteboard, so I guess Dany couldn't herself

Actually, I think Stannis knighted Davos

19 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Jory said that most old northern houses usually don't make or have knights, and like Cat said an oath of service is not a knight.

As far as Kings, idk. But Queens, Dany asked Jorah to knight Whiteboard, so I guess Dany couldn't herself

Actually, I think Stannis knighted Davos

13 minutes ago, The South Forgets said:

Most lords south of the Neck are knights also, therefore we see them knighting other people. IMO, only knights can knight other people

Good points, I think @Hugorfonics and @The South Forgets have the right of it.

6 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

Good points, I think @Hugorfonics and @The South Forgets have the right of it.

Stannis isn't a knight though, he was a lord when Davos was knighted. I'm not sure exactly if Stannis knighted Davos personally but he did chop his fingers off personally, so it's a fair assumption.

However Bronn and the rest of Blackwater was knighted by the KG, not Jeff or Tywin.

So I'm guessing Davos was the exception and Stannis does whatever he wants

Could he or would he?

Knightship is a much cultural as it is legal. Who you are, who you squired for, whether you performed any feats, who knighted you is all important. Think of it a bit like a university degree/resume. Jaime Lannister and Rolly Duckfield are both knights. But one definitely more renowned and credible.

Ned could likely knight someone. Everyone would probably ignore the fact he was never a knight because he is a very important and honorable man. But he likely never would because it's not his faith or culture.

49 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

I'd also like to bring up "Landed Knights" in which it would be an inherited knighthood, correct? Or is that a figure of speech in regards to the Sworn Sword ala Dunk and Egg about Eustace Osgrey?

Good question. A landed knight is the lowest form of landowning nobility class. They are not Lord. These means they do not have the right of pit and gallows. Meaning they cannot hold prisoners permanently or give out justice like executions. A knight like Osgrey would have to seek out Lord Rowan's decision for crimes on his lands. Some are very poor like Petyr Baelish's father and grandfather. Some are rich like the Knight of the Ninestars. Some are average like Davos Seaworth. O

We see that in the North where no knights are kept, that these men are called "Masters". Like Galbart Glover and Helman Tallhart (who is a knight but likely as a post Grey-joy rebellion, Robert's Rebellion award).

We haven't seen what happens in the South if a man who isn't a knight or a woman rules over a Landed Knights parcel. There's probably another term. But they are so low down the chain we haven't seen it. Or one's husband/brother/uncle who is a knight takes up the duty to the lord possibly.

A landed knight could be seen to be above a household knight who holds no land. But the position of household knight to a king or lord paramount might be considered more prestigious than owning a dingy tract of land.

Sellsword knights and Hedge Knights are lower too. A sellsword like Osmund Kettleblack will likely fight for coin. Someone like Ser Arlan will fight for just food and accomodation but is hoping to gain a position as a household knight or even to win land through bravery.

Edit: I never addressed the actual question. I think the land is inherited but not the title. But to keep/hold the land they may have to be a knight or supply a knight to their overlord in times of war.

5 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Stannis isn't a knight though, he was a lord when Davos was knighted. I'm not sure exactly if Stannis knighted Davos personally but he did chop his fingers off personally, so it's a fair assumption.

However Bronn and the rest of Blackwater was knighted by the KG, not Jeff or Tywin.

So I'm guessing Davos was the exception and Stannis does whatever he wants

Who said Stannis wasnt a knight? He was from a martial family in the SL id assume he was a knight more then not, Renly was a knight for god sakes. 

Knightship is linked with the Faith of the Seven. You're made a knight "under the eyes of the gods", and the full ceremony says "in the name of the Warrior, blah blah", "in the name of the Father blah blah", etc.

Then the northern Houses that follow the Old Gods have no knights and even Ned Stark can't knight anyone…

On the Wiki;
''Any knight can make a knight. However, kings can make knights as well, even if they were never knighted themselves. On the other hand, Lord cannot dub someone a knight if they have not previously been knighted themselves''

This means Ned/Eddard isn't allowed to knight someone.

There are non-Sevener knights.

Now, to answer the OP:

Ned cannot knight anybody, as he is not a knight. But - and this would be the case of Olyver Frey squiring for Robb - he can ask a friendly knight/knight in his service to knight somebody. Same applies to other kings or lords - "Ser Guttrippa, I deem this man here worthy, please knight him in my name".

Landed knight - a legal rank, a landowner with certain legal powers and obligations. Need not be anointed, but usually is.

Anointed knight - a mix of social/religious/military obligations and connotations.

Household and hedge knights are anointed - but usually their military equipment is their only possession.

There are poor nobles who could be knighted but turn down the honour due to financial expectations of persons of such station - they cannot afford horse/tack/armour/lifestyle - so they prefer to stay squires forever.

13 minutes ago, Jekse said:

On the Wiki;
''Any knight can make a knight. However, kings can make knights as well, even if they were never knighted themselves. On the other hand, Lord cannot dub someone a knight if they have not previously been knighted themselves''

This means Ned/Eddard is allowed to knight someone.

I think it's the opposite. Ned wasn't a knight, since knighthood is a Faith thing.

Archived