What was Cat thinking kidnapping Tyrion?

Stormking902

Seriously, Catelyn was in the River lands.  She had the right to arrest Tyrion Lannister.  I mean, what mother would not want justice for her son.  And to Cat's credit, she was willing to giveTyrion a trial.  I wonder if Stannis would do the same to any person who was accused of attempted murder on Shireen.  On the other hand, a lady should put the welfare of her peasants first and ahead of justice for her son.  A leader cannot put family first.  The people come first.  I still blame Catelyn but I can admit that her behavior is not extremely unreasonable.  Just unwise and irresponsible.  Catelyn is not suited for leadership.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 0:57 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Very much like Arya.  They go into revenge mode.  

I am not a fan of Catelyn, or Arya for that matter.  But I do not consider myself a Catelyn-hater.  I love The Order of the Greenhand (Dave and Mary Ellen) but I do not share their strong dislike for Catelyn.  Arresting Tyrion was the wrong decision.  As inept as Robert was, Catelyn owed it to him to give him a chance to deal with the problem.  But Catelyn was too focused on getting justice for her son and chose not to bring the matter to Robert.  In Catelyn's defense, as crazy as it seems to us, many people in her shoes would have done the same.  Brandon heard of his sister's kidnapping and threatened to kill not a dwarf but the son of his king.  Imagine the impudence of what Brandon did and what Cat did is no more than the equivalent of a discreet fart.  Tywin also chose to take violent action instead of asking Robert for help when he attacked the Riverlands.   The lives of their small folk hold little value to these nobles.  Their actions speak louder than their words.  They use up their people like we use up trees.  

In their videos, they label Catelyn as a down-right Sociopath. Not sure if I'd agree with that.

On 28/4/2018 at 9:39 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Taking Tyrion not to crazy Lysa but Winterfell, or even better, Riverrun would be the perfect execution of it.

I'm not sure about this but I recall Catelyn wanted to bring Tyrion to King's Landing so that he could be tried by Robert or something like that (man, I'd have paid to see Littlefinger's face if things went that way). She chose to go through the Vale so that they wouldn't be intercepted; it was a good plan, she just didn't, and couldn't, know who Lysa had become.

What I don't understand is her reasoning for taking Tyrion in the first place: she doesn't want him talking to his sibilings because they might get suspicious so she arrests / kidnaps him. Because that is not going to elicit a response, at all.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:48 AM, Stormking902 said:

It was idiotic in the fullest and cost her family both Tullys and Starks everything including Robb and Neds life, I was just curious on the forums opinion on what was the bast case scenario in "Cats" opinion?. 

Why arrest Tyrion at all? Its not her place to do so for one and two wouldnt this matter be better suited for the KING who BTW is Neds best friend?. Couldnt she at least warned her father first instead of leaving them to deal with Tywins wrath?. 

She was not planning to, it kind of just happened. He recognized her, though I can't imagine what she thought would happen. She panicked in the book, and I was, like why? But then we knew Tyrion better than she did. It wasn't like she planned any of this, but like happened with her more than once, made the worst decision possible in the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I blamed Catelyn for igniting the war of the five kings but several comments on this topic got me to reconsider my opinion of her.  Particularly, the need to keep her presence a secret and Tyrion saw her.  I don't know, was that enough to take the risk.  Getting to the bottom of what happened was important not only to get justice for Bran, but for Jon Arryn, and to learn what threat her husband is facing at the capital.  It's not only about Bran.  There was more at stake.  Catelyn needed to know what the Lannisters were plotting to do.  Her suspicions are reasonable because she believed the Lannisters murdered Jon Arryn.  The queen is a Lannister and her brother betrayed his last king.  Whose to say they won't use the same play from the same book against Robert and Ned?

Archived