Possible Coat of Arms for House Unions

Corvo the Crow

So the Title is a bit lackluster but topic is anything but (I hope)!

What would be some possible coat of arms if people from two noble houses married and created a house of their own?

We have some subtle examples of this in the books

Here's a scene from Winterfell after Freys, Boltons and all the others are crammed together.

Hosteen Frey's sword was red almost to the hilt. Blood spatters speckled his cheeks like freckles. He lowered his blade and said, "As my lord commands. But after I deliver you the head of Stannis Baratheon, I mean to finish hacking off Lord Lard's."
Four White Harbor knights had formed a ring around Lord Wyman, as Maester Medrick labored over him to staunch his bleeding. "First you must needs come through us, ser," said the eldest of them, a hard-faced greybeard whose bloodstained surcoat showed three silvery mermaids upon a violet field.

House Manderly's CoA is well known, I suppose, a White Merman with a trident on his hand, his tail and hair dark green and he is on a field of blue-green. House Woolfield's CoA is three white woolsacks on a purple field. SO quite possibly this knight comes from a Manderly mother(since it's not a merman but mermaids) and a Woolfield father.

House Vikary's CoA is a red boar's head on a white field on first and third quarters with a white lion on a red field with a gold bend on the 2nd and 4th quarters. So Vikaries come from a bastard Reyne(colors reversed), possibly woman (2nd and 4th quarters, you can check Walders big and little, Lancel's CoA for Darry) and perhaps Redtusk (Red Boar's head) who may or may not have been a Crakehall.

House Manning has a red "sea lion" with a male lion's head and a seahorse's body on a white field, so they also possibly come from a bastard Reyne(reversed colors), this time a man(lion head is male), and a woman of house Velaryon.

House Nymeros Martell is known for combining the spear of Martells and sun of Nymeria's Rhoynar.

Are there any such examples you have noticed?

What would you think the CoA would be if two people from houses of your choosing founded a new house?

One example; Bolton woman and bastard Lannister man; a flayed male lion on a yellow field.

Gardener and Glover a mailed hand, open and green (instead of silver and fist of glovers) on a red field.

Stark and Tully, a grey wolf holding a silver trout in his mouth on a field of blue, red and white.

Cleos Frey quartered the sigils of House Lannister and House Frey, while Barbrey Dustin did the same for her houses: Ryswell for her maiden house and Dustin for the house she married into. But that’s all I can think of and these seem to be personal sigils. 

I wonder what a sigil combining Houses Stark and Dayne would look...

For Stark and Blackwood, I could imagine the dead weirwood, surrounded by wolves instead of ravens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28.04.2018 at 0:07 AM, Angel Eyes said:

I wonder what a sigil combining Houses Stark and Dayne would look...

A wolf's head falling like a star, holding a sword?

Not a house union but Farring's could perhaps be dragonseeds; Their CoA is two knights combatting, purple and white on purple and white ground. Not all purple and whites are going to be of Valyrian stock of course but they seem to be from dragonstone  where Targaryens granted lands to their seed.

• 2 weeks later...

House Tarth goes back to the dawn of days but Tarth was also the first region of Stormlands to be conquered by Andals. Peace was achieved through marriage between Andals and Storm King and his vassals. Sigil of Tarths is a quartered one with sun and moon, so it is possible the sigil comes from the union of Andals and First Men.

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Sigil of Tarths is a quartered one with sun and moon, so it is possible the sigil comes from the union of Andals and First Men.

Maybe, do we know were the idea of House sigils are a Andal or First Men idea?

They don't seem to be as much of a thing on Essos.

1 minute ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Maybe, do we know were the idea of House sigils are a Andal or First Men idea?

They don't seem to be as much of a thing on Essos.

I'm not sure if early Andal invaders had sigils as well but First Men had their sigils long before the Andal Invasions which just happened 2000 years or so ago.

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I'm not sure if early Andal invaders had sigils as well but First Men had their sigils long before the Andal Invasions which just happened 2000 years or so ago.

Ahh well, it is just to easy to assume that the Andal brought all the "knightly" tropes with them.

The Tarth sigil does stand out, permanently quartered sigil aren't that common right?

4 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Ahh well, it is just to easy to assume that the Andal brought all the "knightly" tropes with them.

The Tarth sigil does stand out, permanently quartered sigil aren't that common right?

There are some; Vikaries, Kennings, Costaynes... but not that many, yes.

1 minute ago, Corvo the Crow said:

There are some; Vikaries, Kennings, Costaynes... but not that many, yes.

So less than ten. Wow I think there might be more european Royal houses today with quartered sigils than known Houses from Westeros with the same.

So back to the main subject. If Sansa and Tyrion does actually remain married I could seem them splitting off from the main Lannister line, what with the kinslaying, unjust imprisonment and such. Maybe a golden wolf? Seems a bit simple so I'd love to hear some better ideas.

1 minute ago, Ylath's Snout said:

So less than ten. Wow I think there might be more european Royal houses today with quartered sigils than known Houses from Westeros with the same.

So back to the main subject. If Sansa and Tyrion does actually remain married I could seem them splitting off from the main Lannister line, what with the kinslaying, unjust imprisonment and such. Maybe a golden wolf? Seems a bit simple so I'd love to hear some better ideas.

I can see Tyrion's personal sigil getting some wolfs in addition to the lions. Or simply a quartered one like Darry branch would also work.

3 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I can see Tyrion's personal sigil getting some wolfs in addition to the lions. Or simply a quartered one like Darry branch would also work.

I can see it now. A wolf and and Lion high-fiving over a third lion that lies dead with purple foam that the mouth and a crossbow bolt in the gut.

Archived