HBO’s Westworld VI- This Game Is Meant For You...[SPOILERS]

Ramsay B.

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Way too big and how do you keep birds, and insects and other living things off?

I suppose they could have some kind of perimeter forcefield or something.  Or, they coulda just stuck with Westworld.  I hope my fears of adding in other parks creates too many story complications doesn't come true.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I suppose they could have some kind of perimeter forcefield or something.  Or, they coulda just stuck with Westworld.  I hope my fears of adding in other parks creates too many story complications doesn't come true.

This is the kind of show that keeps you watching by creating more questions than answers. It can't help but get complicated at some point.

I always got the impression that the world outside wasn’t one of excess for a few.  And that humans now live in extremely large built up cities and there aren’t many people living rural lives anymore. 

Thus makes sense that the richer they got the more land they bought up and bought up meaning Westworld is HUGE, the size of a state/county. 

But I didn’t have any theories on where the other ‘worlds’ are 

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ha! So I've maybe convinced you they drowned because they can't swim?

I think they could swim, they just haven’t been taught how to do so. As I pointed out before, the float.

I rewatched episode 2 last night. Here are my completely unedited notes:

Delores wakes up on location. Her memories won’t tip how she got there.

Arnold’s conversation with her is meaningless. It could be misleading AF.

How do we tell if the Hosts are new models or old? Delores is repeating herself.

The small sample of the city doesn’t feel like a park. Hurts previous arguments!

Still am surprised Evan Rachel Wood is the hot intern from The Ides of March. Boy was that a disappointment of a movie.

If the city is in the park, the hosts don’t leave. If it’s in Asia, we know roughly where the island is. Given that Indonesia is in the region, I’d guess the island would be there *edit* It would have to be on several islands, swimming issues *edit*. William speaks of jet lag after working all day. That further hurts my theory that they are on site. Though Logan does say he’ll call back from the city while in the city scene. So it could go both ways.

That actress is so fine!

These Hosts are smart! Might be the modern ones. Also, how do we know this is the same timeline from Delores above in the bolded? Easy way to throw a curveball. 

There are so many hosts at the party. It’s so unlikely they’d do this off site. Furthermore, Talulah Riley’s character is probably alive in this scene. She freezes all the other Hosts. No sane person would ever give a host that power, so unless she was signaling to a control room, she’s human and probably really important, thus remade into a host.

Also, she said, “Welcome to Westworld.” I have previously written about how I believe this scene could have taken place near the entrance of the park. Clearly the city setting makes it hard to figure out what’s going on given the ambiguities.

TOLD YA’LL THEY’D GET A TECH AND LEARN!

William found the next level of the maze: make the game real.

If they’ve enriched themselves through further government funding, talk about Big Brother.

Is William really Zuckerberg? Or is Zuckerberg really William?

Maeve is steps ahead of Delores, but I’m not sure the latter is “Breaking Bad,” although I’ve never watched the show so I might be taking that incorrectly.

Oops!

The retirement party is in “LA” or a similar region. Palm trees. Dead giveaway. I’ve never been to Asia, so I don’t know if they exist naturally there. If not, they’re in the park, or it does confirm they’d needlessly take hosts out of the park. Also, Delores again references “Have you seen anything so full of splendor.”  William looks much older here. Wait! It’s the same city. So it’s an Asian city with palm trees. Does that exist?

Also, it would seem Logan has been to the park at this point. He recognizes Delores without us having any knowledge of them meeting before. He seems pretty jaded over her existence.

Elephant stakes monologue is a reference to the hosts. Was it done swimmingly, FB?

Young William is mad at Delores.

Delores has her newly acquired Final Supper posse poised for attack.

Starting Episode One, well past tipsy……:

There are hosts around the area where Maeve tries to leave. That seems important. They shutdown when the lights do.

Oh bleep this. I’ve spent the last five minutes thinking about tacos. I’ll review this episode later.

I think it’s significant that Arnold killed off the hosts that last time around and New Arnold, from what we believe so far, has killed off the hosts again. Perhaps what Ford programmed into Bernard was an ability to pull the plug if he found it necessary.

Necessary to get to the next level?

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm totally bothered by it. How can one build an island, with no natural living things except people, large enough to accommodate six parks? Westworld is pretty fucking big, and I imagine, Shogun World, and the other four are just as big.

It's really Australia after some sort of crazy event...?

Maybe I’m super late to the party because I only checked out season 1 a month or so ago, but this interview is revealing:

What do you want to say about how much we’ll see of Shogun World this season? 
NOLAN: We want to try and gently temper expectations. Most of our season is spent in Westworld — the eponymous Westworld. But we do get a chance to glimpse some of the other worlds. And we have a couple of episodes that are spent in Shogun World with one of our storylines, while our other storylines continue elsewhere. So I say we’re trying to temper expectations, except to say that I think the stuff we did for Shogun World is spectacular.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/09/westworld-shogun-world-interview/

It’s impossible to read that and not conclude that there are more than one additional parks. I’d take that to mean Shogun World isn’t a new add on that nobody has seen, which makes me wonder how much time William has spent in the other parks.

I’m not sure that there are no other living creatures on the island. One of the most important signals in Season 1 was Dolores swatting at or even killing a fly that landed on her face.

And I assumed those ants were real...

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I would almost think William got Arnold to kill himself because he fell in love with Dolores too. But I think William shows up after Arnold is dead. I could be totally wrong, I admit.

Arnold's death is before the park opens - the massacre is his attempt to stop the park opening - so it's clearly before William's visit to the park.

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, and why oh why oh why does no one know that Bernard is a host? Is no one left over from the earlier days when Arnold was alive? It just doesn't seem possible. Surely these guys must be absolutely well known, perhaps not to the public, but the technology world?

In the time before the park opening it's possible they tried to keep a low profile to avoid competitors knowing about their tech, although that would raise the question about how they got the money to do the initial development.

Also, possibly Arnold didn't like the media spotlight and let his partner be the public face of Westworld? Jonathan Nolan's previous show Person of Interest did have a reclusive tech genius who had built up a huge company despite keep his identity completely hidden.

I'm sad that it looks like that was it for Esposito, at least for this year.  Too bad.  

It is a bit of a plot hole that the architect of presumably the world's most exclusive 'resort' who was murdered shortly before the park opened.....has been resurrected as a doppelganger host and not one person seems to realize this.  Arnold cannot have had that low of a profile.  

57 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Damn, this cast is truly stacked. Now they got Jonathan Tucker, Gustaf Skarsgard, Betty Gabrial and Giancarlo Esposito.

I also hope that we get to see Michael Wincott as Old Bill again.

Zahn McClarnon and Peter Mullan also this episode. Crazy.

20 minutes ago, williamjm said:

In the time before the park opening it's possible they tried to keep a low profile to avoid competitors knowing about their tech, although that would raise the question about how they got the money to do the initial development.

Also, possibly Arnold didn't like the media spotlight and let his partner be the public face of Westworld? Jonathan Nolan's previous show Person of Interest did have a reclusive tech genius who had built up a huge company despite keep his identity completely hidden.

That’s basically what I’ve convinced myself it is. Arnold did seem like someone who didn’t want to be in the public eye at all. Although it’s still stretching it how absolutely NOBODY who works there knows. 

Still no Elsie sighting. 

36 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Arnold's death is before the park opens - the massacre is his attempt to stop the park opening - so it's clearly before William's visit to the park.

I thought Arnold’s death was before William showed up, I forgot it was to prevent the park from opening.

But there’s still something weird about the timeline. Or am I forgetting again, I really must do a rewatch of the first season. And make notes! On his first visit with Logan, William hadn’t married his sister yet, right? Isn’t there conversation about ‘becoming part of the family’? And as I said, at the retirement party the wife and a young daughter are there. I think the daughter has heard mummy and daddy talk about, fight over maybe, Dolores, which is why the bold little lady walked up to her and talked to her. And why mummy sharply called her back.

When Arnold takes Dolores to see the house he’s building, he tells Dolores ‘I’ve been very fortunate’. He and Ford must have made billions, if not trillions, in some business venture. It’s really hard to imagine they could do that anonymously. A small point, just annoying, that’s all. I mean, he has to be a black super star in the business world, no?

9 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Zahn McClarnon and Peter Mullan also this episode. Crazy.

That’s basically what I’ve convinced myself it is. Arnold did seem like someone who didn’t want to be in the public eye at all. Although it’s still stretching it how absolutely NOBODY who works there knows. 

Still no Elsie sighting

It would be interesting if Elsie does turn up.   With Bernard a host and Ford dead, does that make her the human with the greatest knowledge of the hosts' inner workings and therefore the greatest threat to Dolores? She was Bernard's right hand. 

45 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Speaking of they need to find a way of getting Michael Emerson and some of the other main POI cast into this show. There's already been quite a few guest stars to have crossed over - the most obvious being young man in black, who also played an awkward billionairre in that show. Although sunny in phili fans will always know him as one of the Mcpoyles.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the second episode. I liked the flashbacks as it's always nice to see Ben Barnes (especially after the punisher) and because it seems a bit more interesting than whats happening in the present (although I guess we didn't see the present as I got the impression that time period was all occurring in Bernard's missing however many days). It just feels like they are stalling a bit on the "present" material as I know I'm having trouble thinking what they can do long term with the idea now the hosts are rebelling. It seems they either rebel and escape (more mileage potentially) or the humans shut the whole thing down (which seems more likely).

It's only episode 2 though so I'll put this down to being necessary groundwork for whatever's coming up. I think part of my problem is that elements of the first season left me stuck with even attempting to understand what was going on when we can see the world through the eyes of unreliable narrators so I'm not getting drawn in too much by the "where's the narrative timelines and who/what are we seeing in a given scene" as there aren't really any rules to work within anymore.

21 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I thought Arnold’s death was before William showed up, I forgot it was to prevent the park from opening.

But there’s still something weird about the timeline. Or am I forgetting again, I really must do a rewatch of the first season. And make notes! On his first visit with Logan, William hadn’t married his sister yet, right? Isn’t there conversation about ‘becoming part of the family’? And as I said, at the retirement party the wife and a young daughter are there. I think the daughter has heard mummy and daddy talk about, fight over maybe, Dolores, which is why the bold little lady walked up to her and talked to her. And why mummy sharply called her back.

Yeah, notes are key. Even though the ones I wrote and posted were a bit silly, they were really helpful.

I think it’s important to figure out if William met Arnold or Bernard. If it’s the latter, that means they met after Delores had become dangerous. And didn’t that happen before the seen where all the hosts were at the party?

21 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh, and why oh why oh why does no one know that Bernard is a host? Is no one left over from the earlier days when Arnold was alive? It just doesn't seem possible. Surely these guys must be absolutely well known, perhaps not to the public, but the technology world?

I'm starting to wonder when exactly Arnold died, or if he was ever really real. I'm entertaining the thought of Bernard being the first robot long before Westworld existed. His line of being very fortunate reminded of last season and his implanted memories by Robert. Maybe in the flashbacks to before Westworld in this last episode he was already a robot. I haven't rewatched the first season so maybe I'm misremembering info about his family. Didn't his son die of cancer or another disease? At least, that was the implanted memory?

20 hours ago, karaddin said:

The entire island is climate controlled, it's 27C every day. That's why thoughts on where it was prior to this season were based on it being in a dome of some kind. I don't see them being able to control the climate of Australia, that's part of why I think it's a man made island and I'm still confused how they could make it work. And Australia is really really big - slightly larger than the contiguous USA (7.69million square km vs 7.66 for USA). I think it has to be connected (politically) to China or Japan.

This was my impression as well, an island dome terraformed. I'm wondering if it may be an archipelago with an island for each park.

Archived