The battle of blood

In The Winds of Winter there will be a huge sea battle near Oldtown. King Euron will fight against Hightower's and Redwyne's fleets in a narrow passage between Arbor and Oldtown. Why has Euron chosen this location for the battle ? He will be surrounded by the enemy and he will have every way to escape closed. And at the end, who will be the winner of the battle?

I'm not gonna give anything away, in case some viewers haven't read The Forsaken (it's amazing) but there is a lot of potential here. hopefully we get to see more of Garlan Tyrell in this arc.

On 4/29/2018 at 0:18 PM, Littlefinger's crewman said:

In The Winds of Winter there will be a huge sea battle near Oldtown. King Euron will fight against Hightower's and Redwyne's fleets in a narrow passage between Arbor and Oldtown. Why has Euron chosen this location for the battle ? He will be surrounded by the enemy and he will have every way to escape closed. And at the end, who will be the winner of the battle?

I assume this is bait to get us talking about Preston without actually saying anything about Preston?

That said, go watch Preston's videos on the Battle of Blood. He pulls a ton of crap out of his ass, but I think he's right on the money for this one.

17 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I assume this is bait to get us talking about Preston without actually saying anything about Preston?

That said, go watch Preston's videos on the Battle of Blood. He pulls a ton of crap out of his ass, but I think he's right on the money for this one.

It is sad that there has been so many years between book releases that Pj videos are a hot subject 

• 4 weeks later...

From the forsaken chapter, it looks like Euron will smash Redwyne and Hightower fleets.  Euron's captains are fully aware that Hightower fleet will try to "catch them in the rear". GRRM has raised Euron to be on of the archvillian in the series, he would at least sack Oldtown to demonstrate his power.

The plot requires Euron to win, so he will win, apparently with some kind of magic.  Whether he summons Krakens or what I can't really say.

I have long theorized that afterwards he will then go to the shields where he will ambush Garlan attempt to retake them.  Then he will carry his longships overland to the Honeywine and sail into Oldtown from the undefended riverside.

Whatever happens at Oldtown is personally one of my most anticipated storylines.

Spoiler

First off we have many familiar characters intersecting - Sam, Sarella Sand, Archmaester Marwyn, Jaqen H' ghar, the strange Hightower family, and of course Euron's fleet. This has to be going somewhere and the fact that I can't imagine what most of their motivations are makes it that much more exciting.

Now as to what Euron is planning. Could very well be he plans to outwit Redwynes and Hightowers, could also be he is trying to summon a Kraken. Sounds crazy probably but well within the lines of Euron's insanity and aspirations to godhood; if he can indeed bait a kraken with all the blood he has been leaving in his wake and put on a show while doing it it will only solidify him as this godlike figure among his followers and enemies. Funny thing is that nothing about it has to be magical even if he might claim it to be. He is killing worshippers of different religions as a sacrifice, but it doesn't have to be them, it's just for show and to make a point. In an earlier Arianne chapter we are introduced to the idea that krakens are attracted to the surface by blood in the Stepstones.

Either way I believe Euron will sack Oldtown mirroring the Sacking of Baghdad from history, the loss of knowledge and the established Maester monopoly over it. And I think Samwells role in all of this is to salvage it for future generations.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, MostlyMoody said:

Whatever happens at Oldtown is personally one of my most anticipated storylines.

Hide contents

could also be he is trying to summon a Kraken. Sounds crazy probably but well within the lines of Euron's insanity and aspirations to godhood; if he can indeed bait a kraken with all the blood he has been leaving in his wake and put on a show while doing it it will only solidify him as this godlike figure among his followers and enemies. Funny thing is that nothing about it has to be magical even if he might claim it to be. He is killing worshippers of different religions as a sacrifice, but it doesn't have to be them, it's just for show and to make a point.

I love the idea of Euron being a crazy guy who believes his own bullshit but in reality has little to no magical abilities. I could even see lightning striking the bridge Balon was on being a complete coincidence, and Euron is out there enough to think it was his doing. The Forsaken visions and valaryian steel armor made him seem more legit than before i read it, but I'm still not buying everything. He's tricking and lying to his followers, why not lie to himself. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 6:24 PM, Mooncalf said:

I'm not gonna give anything away, in case some viewers haven't read The Forsaken (it's amazing) but there is a lot of potential here. hopefully we get to see more of Garlan Tyrell in this arc.

I second the Garlan Tyrell notion. 

On 8/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I wonder if all those sacrifices will be to raise the dragon from that egg he dropped in the sea. 

That quote is metaphoric. Euron is referring to Balon who was thrown to the sea by a faceless man, who was paid using that dragon egg.

The sacrifices will probably attract krakens 

2 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

That quote is metaphoric. Euron is referring to Balon who was thrown to the sea by a faceless man, who was paid using that dragon egg.

The sacrifices will probably attract krakens 

If it is metaphoric what does the part about the Myrish wizard promising he could hatch it within a year mean?

What makes you think it was the faceless men and how could he have paid them by dropping it in the sea? Are you making a connection between the faceless men and the deep ones?

3 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

If it is metaphoric what does the part about the Myrish wizard promising he could hatch it within a year mean?

What makes you think it was the faceless men and how could he have paid them by dropping it in the sea? Are you making a connection between the faceless men and the deep ones?

Euron isn't going to admit to Victarion that he used the FM to murder their brother, but in the forsaken chapter he admits that he did in fact kill Euron, and the vision of a man without a face on a swaying bridge or however exactly it goes is clearly in reference to a FM killing Balon, so if you add up those facts with Eurons statement that he through a dragon egg into the sea, it is commonly believed that Euron in fact paid the FM with the dragon egg

2 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Euron isn't going to admit to Victarion that he used the FM to murder their brother, but in the forsaken chapter he admits that he did in fact kill Euron, and the vision of a man without a face on a swaying bridge or however exactly it goes is clearly in reference to a FM killing Balon, so if you add up those facts with Eurons statement that he through a dragon egg into the sea, it is commonly believed that Euron in fact paid the FM with the dragon egg

That is neat. I mean - with the Deep Ones being beneath the sea and all, and something I read that all the different gods are just incarnations of the same thing... I wonder if there is a connection. 

On 4/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, Littlefinger's crewman said:

I wonder how large the straights are... If Redwyne has a larger fleet, and if the straights are narrow, Euron might hope to limit the larger fleet's maneuverability. 

Archived