Literature featuring anthropomorphic characters

Mosi Mynn

Are stories featuring animals as the protagonists still being written?

When I was a yoof my favourite books included The Silver Brumby series, the Duncton Chronicles, The Animals of Farthing Wood and Watership Down, amongst others.  Watership Down is still one of my favourite ever books, and I re-read it a lot.  And I recently re-read the first Duncton trilogy - still as harrowing as A Storm of Swords :o  I seemed to be drawn to animal-based stories when I was younger. 

Has this genre (is it a genre?) died out?  Replaced by YA maybe?

I'm not sure it ever was a genre, but the books you bring up are usually classified ad YA, I think.

I don't have an idea about something entirely similar, but stuff like Adrian Chaikovsky's Children of Time (or his shadow of the Apt series) feature anthropomorphised insect/arachnoid characters.

David Brin, with its Uplift Saga, had dolphins and apes.

There's the ants by Bernard Werber.

Hmm, probably more but nothing comes to mind right now.

There is still some out there I am aware of, Summer in Orcus by  T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) has anthropomorphic birds in a portal fantasy.

The aforementioned Children of Time.

The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander is a borderline case with intelligent Elephants and humans.

In comics they might be more common, eg Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda

I recall the Redwall series with farmland creatures, but those are quite old and definitely YA-ish.  And Wind In The Willows was a classic.  More recently, there was a series called The Builders with similar anthropomorphic characters — I think it reached me via one of the monthly free Kindle books, but I dropped it after a few chapters.  It felt too YA. 

The greatest anthropomorphic character of all is Death in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, but that’s not a cross-species anthropomorphism. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I recall the Redwall series with farmland creatures, but those are quite old and definitely YA-ish.  

The greatest anthropomorphic character of all is Death in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, but that’s not a cross-species anthropomorphism. 

Can't believe I forgot Redwall! I loved the first three in particular.

Witches Abroad had some very memorable anthropomorphicisation! Greebo springs to mind ... 

30 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Does Mieville count?

Mieville always counts :-)

Aeron Clement wrote The Cold Moons, a novel about badgers that was a bestseller in the UK in the late 1980s when it first came out. This seems to have been the only fiction he ever wrote:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-29694-6

Though they are mythical animals, there are a great many fantasy novels that have featured dragons as intelligent characters. One of the most recent is Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw, which she describes as a "sentimental Victorian novel where all the characters are dragons who eat each other."

http://www.jowaltonbooks.com/books/tooth-and-claw/

I remember reading a series of books about genetically modified animals trying to find the humans who created them. I am damned if I can remember the writer or the name of any of the books. 

There is a really long YA series called The Warriors by Erin Hunter (a collective author name used by 5 people).  It's about tribes of cats. 

There's also of course Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. Obrien.

14 hours ago, maarsen said:

I remember reading a series of books about genetically modified animals trying to find the humans who created them. I am damned if I can remember the writer or the name of any of the books. 

He may not be who you are thinking of, but this made me remember Cordwainer Smith, who wrote many science fiction stories featuring "underpeople", who were descended from non-human species who had been genetically augmented to become slaves of humans:

http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/smith_cordwainer

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah but they're not anthropomorphic. Otherwise I could suggest every Mercedes Lackey book ever.

Hmm, on that note, would the PERN dragons be considered anthropomorphic?

Thinking about it, Steven Brust has lizard people in Vlad Taltos, and telepathic flying serpents too.

Also, there's Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes, heh?

Archived