Literature featuring anthropomorphic characters

Mosi Mynn

Shadows of the apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky sort of fits as it features people with insect attribute and I swear it took me until half way through the series not to continuslly think of the characters as been anthropomorphic versions of which ever insect they shared kinship with. In fairness many do have physical attributes of the insects.

The redwall books are a classic example of anthropomorphic characters. Although the series is heavily skewed to younger audiences. There's a comic called mouse Templar which is very similar to redwall

I did enjoy the Redwall books a lot - especially the first three.  But the poor ferrets, rats, weasels etc always being the bad guys!

Also, there's Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes, heh?

The ultimate in anthropomorphic literature!

2 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I did enjoy the Redwall books a lot - especially the first three.  But the poor ferrets, rats, weasels etc always being the bad guys!

The ultimate in anthropomorphic literature!

I could never tell whether there was a drop in quality by "Martin the warrior" or I just outgrew the series. Loved the first three and the one about the albino badger "salamandastron"

The secret of NIMH was good too but I think that's more animals ,than animals with human like attributes. Although I guess that's virtually always the case if writing about animals as if they could talk etc (even if they don't speak a human language). 

On 5/6/2018 at 3:03 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

doesn't David Brin's Uplift trilogy have super intelligent dolphins and chimps in? It's been years and I only ever read the first book and a bit of the second so I admittedly don't remember much lol

You are absolutely right Theda. I can't believe I forgot the whole series. I really enjoyed those books.

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

You are absolutely right Theda. I can't believe I forgot the whole series. I really enjoyed those books.

I loved Sundiver the first book. I remember that. I read it a few times actually when I was younger. I read a lot of the books of my dads that I found lying around. I think I started the second book and for some reason never finished it. I'll read the series properly at some point lol. 

Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay has some chapters told from the POV of the ship's cat.

On 04/05/2018 at 10:15 AM, red snow said:

Shadows of the apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky sort of fits as it features people with insect attribute and I swear it took me until half way through the series not to continuslly think of the characters as been anthropomorphic versions of which ever insect they shared kinship with. In fairness many do have physical attributes of the insects.

I think one of his recent books Dogs of War also has anthropomorphised dogs in it judging from the blurb, although I haven't read it yet.

Archived