Bakker LIV - Soul Sphincter

.H.

Lucretius was one of the first materialist philosophers, drawing ideas from Epicurus but also Democritus and his atomism. His famous cure for unrequited love was "F**k some other girls until you forget the first one", a purely mechanistic view where biology rules all and feelings, ideas etc. are just hiding that fact. I think you can definitely see some Dunyainism in there and, given Bakker's interests in philosophy, it shouldn't come as a big surprise that he's done his homework.

I don't know though if that can explain some of the mysteries in the books. I think Earwa's metaphysics are clear to Bakker and much less so to us readers.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

He wanted us all to think he was a giant troll and Asshat?

To be fair, if he were a total troll, he’d have made cnaiur only gay because moenghus made him that way, ya know, like conservatives believe all the gay secks works and he would have had cnaiur pray the gay away.

on the other hand, that was probably in the original draft and his editor made him take it out, “fine, fine, fine stop crying about your art. How about this, you can keep all women as sextoy  whores, but take out the bits that nonwhites are inferior and that homosexuality is choice. Is that a fair deal, work with me buddy, ya got to compromise some!”

I’ve been wondering lately about George Lucas revelations of his vision of episodes seven-nine in bakker terms. Lucas wanted to reveal that the Force was controlled by the malevolent bacteria the Whills who use other sentient beings as hosts and  that all the predestination chosen one light side dark side Jedi sith fantasy religion mumbo jumbo was all a delusion/illusion manifested by the science fiction explanation of malevolent bacteria manipulating society for their own selfish ends. So the final three movies would have gone fantastic planet moving the battle to a microscopic universe.

its both a terrible idea and an amazing idea and is really committed to utterly sabotaging the audience by disenchanting the world they believe so profoundly in. Very bakker like, in a way,

15 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I think it was Solo or Happy Ent had a good breakdown of the etymology of chorae, maybe right before TGO was released.

Yeah, it boiled down to Plato writing an obscure and forgotten essay called Timaeous about chorae and topos, but more famously a post modernist philosopher wrote an extensive famous piece deconstructing this Plato bit.

we were all like shit that is a lot of red flags, particularly as the meanings of chorae and topos in these contexts sheds significant light on novel ways to approach bakers texts.

so we asked him if there was a connection and he just said he did not remember where he got the term chorae or topos, which seems like a lie if he actually put effort and research  into his writing, but if he didn’t bother is probably truthful.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:09 AM, WalterX said:

If the chorae 'fix' the world to its most prosaic level, as defined by the God's speech, rather than Sorcerer's blasphemy, then did the God looking through Mimara's eyes onto its own chorae allow it to actively meddle?  That is, to remove the Ciphrang despite it bringing its Hellish frame along?  If so...is the God conscious?  I've been thinking that it was more abstraction than anything else, but if it is intervening...

I think maybe Mimara looking at the god thing through the chorae with the judging eye (the thing 'drowsy with compassion') created the perception loop for the god to become conscious at that point. So the god finally sees itself and wakes up at that point, instead of dreaming. After all, magic is basically an exploitation of the gods dreaming (anarcane ground is where the god has walked the ground/dreamed lucid)

I have to wonder if the god in the setting isn't a nasty spider thing like Kellhus describes it, but instead is just blissfully unaware of how fucked things are and instead actually thought everything was going really well as it slumbered. Like a benign god, but clueless to what had been left to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

In other news they've dug up the No-God in Alexandria:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/black-sarcophagus-unearthed-in-egypt_us_5b45a8b1e4b048036ea3d944

So, when they pop the thing open prepare for the purple plague or whatever it was that the No-God caused when he exploded.

Hey gang, pardon my interruption of the thread but I had a favor to ask you guys. I’ve been wanting to get a tattoo as tribute to the series. I’ve narrowed it down to something involving either Seswatha, The Nonmen, or Celmomas. What I’m thinking is something akin to a medieval family coat of arms. Ive been paging through the series and I can’t find any mention of any sort of Banners/symbols/crests pertaining to any of the above mentioned. I’ve scoured the Sorweel/Ishterebinth chapters and while the Nonman throne is described, Bakker makes no mention of what sort of symbols adorn it. He also mentions seals, but I can’t recall if those are described either. Could you guys help out? Once again, Seswatha, Celmomas, and the Nonmen. What symbols do they have? 

10 hours ago, Cursed said:

Hey gang, pardon my interruption of the thread but I had a favor to ask you guys. I’ve been wanting to get a tattoo as tribute to the series. I’ve narrowed it down to something involving either Seswatha, The Nonmen, or Celmomas. What I’m thinking is something akin to a medieval family coat of arms. Ive been paging through the series and I can’t find any mention of any sort of Banners/symbols/crests pertaining to any of the above mentioned. I’ve scoured the Sorweel/Ishterebinth chapters and while the Nonman throne is described, Bakker makes no mention of what sort of symbols adorn it. He also mentions seals, but I can’t recall if those are described either. Could you guys help out? Once again, Seswatha, Celmomas, and the Nonmen. What symbols do they have? 

Wasn't a copper tree the house of Tsonos or something?  I think knee of the mansions symbols was a tree.  

Personally, if I was getting a Bakker tattoo I'd go with a dagger across the throat and the script "some corruption begs not the cloth, but the knife".

On an unrelated note, but still Bakker related art, RRL sent me an Instagram link yesterday to a drawing by this awesome artist Porous Walker who made a pretty good rendition (unknowingly, I'd assume) of the HitB theory.  Fair warning most of his artwork is not safe for work.  I have a pin of a grateful dead steal your face emblem except it's got a butthole on the skulls forehead.

The circumfix seems like the obvious choice.  Or a quote from the series that really speaks to you.  None of the other symbology would mean anything even to any Bakker fans you encounter.

Some mentions I found:

Her [Onkis'] symbol is the Copper Tree (which also happens to be the device of the legendary Nonman Mansion of Siol, though no link has been established).

Sorweel stared numbly at the pouch Zsoronga had pressed into his palm, stiff as a dead man’s tongue, the pale pattern as intricate as he could remember it, crescents within crescents, like Circumfixes shattered and heaped into spilling piles. The Triple-Crescent, Serwa had called it. The ancient symbol of the Anasûrimbor.

I don't think Seswatha had a "house" nor do I recall a device mentioned pertaining to the Mandate.

15 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

I think that Siol was the Copper Tree but really, really...as much as I've loved this series...caution against making things permanent.  

Yeah...

4 hours ago, .H. said:

Some mentions I found:

I don't think Seswatha had a "house" nor do I recall a device mentioned pertaining to the Mandate.

Maybe you could do a decayed heart for Seswatha. 

Archived