NBA playoffs 2018 - Raptors over Cavs in 6

Red Tiger

A Couple funny stats from last night:

The Warriors could have gone scoreless in the 4th quarter and they would have still won.

The Rockets could have shot 70% on the same amount of 3’s they took last night and they would have still lost.

We haven’t had a single digit finish since May 9th:ack:

Does anyone respect KD's accomplishments? The guy destroyed his legacy with that Golden State move. He is dominating these playoffs, is easily the best player in the league, and no one seems to care since it's a foregone conclusion that the Warriors will win. Which as a jilted Thunder fan, is a small consolation, since KD cares more about his image and reputation than anyone outside of LeBron.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Does anyone respect KD's accomplishments? The guy destroyed his legacy with that Golden State move.

No, he factually did not. People's memories are short.

In a couple of years, the ONLY thing that people will remember about KD are his rings, trophies and maybe his records.

Nobody is gonna give a rat's ass about him joining up with GW for championship glory.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:54 PM, Rhom said:

Not much of a game here, so I will turn to a question cropping up on UK message boards.

There are stories of internal strife with the TWolves and KAT could be on the move?  Any truth?

If they traded KAT I'd honestly quit the team. At least for a few seasons. 

6 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

No, he factually did not. People's memories are short.

In a couple of years, the ONLY thing that people will remember about KD are his rings, trophies and maybe his records.

Nobody is gonna give a rat's ass about him joining up with GW for championship glory.

Could not disagree more. The fact that he's not getting credit in the moment is damning, and frankly it should be. He signed up for a situation where he couldn't possibly not win championships.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Could not disagree more. The fact that he's not getting credit in the moment is damning, and frankly it should be. He signed up for a situation where he couldn't possibly not win championships.

It doesn't matter if you disagree, it's just the way things go. The masses will not give a shit in a couple of years. The only people who will remember the details of him "bolting for GW to chase rings" will be the minority of basketball fans talking about this on forums. KD is not the first (future) hall of famer to go ring-chasing, it's happened plenty of times before and with time, almost nobody ended up giving a shit.

21 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

It doesn't matter if you disagree, it's just the way things go. The masses will not give a shit in a couple of years. The only people who will remember the details of him "bolting for GW to chase rings" will be the minority of basketball fans talking about this on forums. KD is not the first (future) hall of famer to go ring-chasing, it's happened plenty of times before and with time, almost nobody ended up giving a shit.

Exactly. There are only two reasons people would remember the backstory to Durant changing teams, (i) if he failed or (ii) if they go one a several year run that is too easy. The former is already irrelevant, and I suspect the latter won't happen because this team will probably have to break up sooner than later.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Exactly. There are only two reasons people would remember the backstory to Durant changing teams, (i) if he failed or (ii) if they go one a several year run that is too easy. The former is already irrelevant, and I suspect the latter won't happen because this team will probably have to break up sooner than later.  

There's another option, but that one is even more unlikely. By which I mean, impossible.

Option 3 is that OKC starts to win titles without KD, in which case history will say that KD was partially to blame for OKC not getting to the promised land.

I call it impossible, because OKC is really shitty in regards to building teams. They caught lightning in a bottle by getting KD, Westbrook and Harden, but have taken a nosedive in gathering talent ever since.

I suspect that the narrative will end up being that OKC could not give KD the necessary pieces to win championships, so he had no choice but to go elsewhere to get his well-earned ring. It's cold as hell and unfair, but history is after all written by the winners.

JVG is 100% right. You shouldn't be able to foul to stop a fast break. 2 FTs and the ball, 1 FT and the ball...I don't care, but stop letting teams murder one of the most exciting plays in basketball. 

3 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

KD is not the first (future) hall of famer to go ring-chasing, it's happened plenty of times before.

Other than Clyde Drexler, I honestly can’t remember an example of a HoF level player successfully joining a team that is already championship level.

And of the ones that tried it unsuccessfully (Barkley, Malone, Payton) they were all well past their primes.  KD leaving is on another level.  Has been bad for the competitive balance of the league and I’m with @sperry on this one, he will be remembered for it negatively.

Edit:  An argument might be made for Ray Allen to the Heat, but I always struggle to think of him as HoF though he probably is.

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Other than Clyde Drexler, I honestly can’t remember an example of a HoF level player successfully joining a team that is already championship level.

And of the ones that tried it unsuccessfully (Barkley, Malone, Payton) they were all well past their primes.  KD leaving is on another level.  Has been bad for the competitive balance of the league and I’m with @sperry on this one, he will be remembered for it negatively.

Edit:  An argument might be made for Ray Allen to the Heat, but I always struggle to think of him as HoF though he probably is.

Bill Walton to the Celtics. Bob McAdoo to the Lakers. 

But yes, all these guys were way older. KD did it in the heart of his prime. And KD will probably end up greater than all so it's even less defensible. He got to join Basketball Nirvana. He'll get his rings. But legacy-wise people will hold this against him. Only way he gets some of that goodwill back is if he carries a significantly diminished Warriors team to a title some time in the future. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I would compare it to football. Ray Allen switching teams is like Charles Haley or Aqib Talib moving teams. He can tip the balance between evenly matched teams. Durant moving was almost like a quarterback moving. Like if Russell Wilson went to San Francisco.

Maybe Durant will be one of those players viewed differently by generations. Us old guys will hold the move against him, while kids who grew up in the wake of Golden State's dynasty will just think of him as a dominant scorer on a dominant team.

Well, the Celtics managed to make it almost interesting in the 4th. But the Cavs had an answer for every rally. Might have helped if Rozier had sunk any of his open threes. Positive things: Jaylen Brown stepping up in the 4th.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Wilt, Kareem, Rodman I think are it besides Ray Allen.

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

Did any of you really believe LeBron was going to lose this series?

Adam Silver’s script has them losing game 5 in Boston, winning a tight one in game 6, then LeBron tearing out the C’s hearts in game 7.

Just now, Rhom said:

Adam Silver’s script has them losing game 5 in Boston, winning a tight one in game 6, then LeBron tearing out the C’s hearts in game 7.

And then losing in 5 to the Warriors.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

To add to Jaime's list, Earl Monroe and Tiny Archibald.

7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Wilt, Kareem, Rodman I think are it besides Ray Allen.

Rodman? Maybe. Wilt and Kareem? Nah, absolutely not. Wilt joined the Lakers when Elgin Baylor was literally on his last legs. Kareem went to the Lakers when it had lost Wilt.

Archived