NBA playoffs 2018 - Raptors over Cavs in 6

Red Tiger

27 minutes ago, briantw said:

Once the Cavs won game one, that was series.  Toronto was never going to be able to mentally overcome losing home court, especially in such a deflating, gut-punch fashion.  I honestly think that OT loss after they led the whole game was worse than a simple blowout would have been for them.  In game two, they just looked shook.

They came into the series thinking they were the better team and that this was their year, and then LeBron, as you said, ripped out their soul in game one and there's no coming back from that.  Like you, I'd be a bit surprised if they even win a game now.

I do agree that the way they lost was worse than just getting blown out, and the third quarter from yesterday was also very damaging, but I disagree that they have no chance to win going forward (any chance they have though is minimal at best). If they won game 2, I think they could have split in Cleveland, though I think the most likely scenario if that went down would be Cleveland winning the next two. Regardless, if they don’t win game 3 there is no chance they win game 4. LeBron will close it out so he can finally get some rest.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t think Simmons has to ever be a good shooter to be an elite player. He probably wouldn’t even need to be league average. But my god, he can’t be afraid to shoot. And that goes double for free throws. He looks like he’s avoiding going to the line. That’s a huge problem for a guy whose greatest skill set might be his ability to attack the rim.

His performance last night was bizarre. Not sure whether Smart got into his head or he was out late the night before but he looked mentally checked out from the first moment when he missed a bunny. It looked like much of his time at LSU honestly in terms of effort. 

What's weird though was he was completely unfazed by Miami and all the good, chippy, physical defenders that they threw at him. Really curious how he comes out in game 3. Dude should be offended he's getting shown up by a less talented team. 

What I don't understand about last night is why the hell couldn't Fultz get in the game for even a minute or two?  :dunno: 

He looked pretty decent in the game action he saw late in the regular season and when you have zero confidence to play Simmons, what do you want to do?  Run TJ McConnell out there or give some play to your top draft pick?

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What I don't understand about last night is why the hell couldn't Fultz get in the game for even a minute or two?  :dunno: 

He looked pretty decent in the game action he saw late in the regular season and when you have zero confidence to play Simmons, what do you want to do?  Run TJ McConnell out there or give some play to your top draft pick?

Well, TJ McConnell was +18 in the game...

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

His performance last night was bizarre. Not sure whether Smart got into his head or he was out late the night before but he looked mentally checked out from the first moment when he missed a bunny. It looked like much of his time at LSU honestly in terms of effort. 

What's weird though was he was completely unfazed by Miami and all the good, chippy, physical defenders that they threw at him. Really curious how he comes out in game 3. Dude should be offended he's getting shown up by a less talented team. 

I only saw part of the game, but it didn't look like Smart was getting under him. The downside of being a 6'10 PG is really good defensive PGs, which Smart is, will have more room to steal the ball, and he did it a couple of times. That said, Simmons had to have been giving a halfhearted effort. It's not just that he scored only one point. He only took four shots. How does someone that talented not step it up more? Perhaps he has the same problem as Wiggins in that the effort levels will come and go. Good thing is he's better than Wiggins, especially if he learns to shoot*.

*I asked this before and got no replies, but why do so many of these elite passers suck at shooting? Simmons, Rubio, Rondo, Ball etc. should all be much better shooters than they actually are given their elite hand-eye coordination. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

*I asked this before and got no replies, but why do so many of these elite passers suck at shooting? Simmons, Rubio, Rondo, Ball etc. should all be much better shooters than they actually are given their elite hand-eye coordination. 

I think it is "natural selection" of sorts. You need to think about it in reverse: bad (more like mediocre...) shooters will reach high levels only if they are elite passers. Usually they will also be pretty good at driving to the rim, or some other offense ability. 

Rubio (for example), in is early career in Europe, was a monstrous all-around player with elite basketball IQ. Lack of shooting was not that important 10 years ago

33 minutes ago, lumer said:

I think it is "natural selection" of sorts. You need to think about it in reverse: bad (more like mediocre...) shooters will reach high levels only if they are elite passers. Usually they will also be pretty good at driving to the rim, or some other offense ability. 

Rubio (for example), in is early career in Europe, was a monstrous all-around player with elite basketball IQ. Lack of shooting was not that important 10 years ago

Agree with this. Also would say elite shooting and elite passing are two very skillsets. The former is a physical skillset primarily based on form, muscle memory, repetition. The latter is a mental skillset first based on court vision and seeing things before they develop. Like a QB without the physical demands.

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don’t think Simmons has to ever be a good shooter to be an elite player. He probably wouldn’t even need to be league average. But my god, he can’t be afraid to shoot. And that goes double for free throws. He looks like he’s avoiding going to the line. That’s a huge problem for a guy whose greatest skill set might be his ability to attack the rim.

As far as Fultz goes, I never understood the pick if you’re using Simmons as your primary ball handler. Imagine if they had drafted Tatum. He combined with Simmons and Embiid would be a monster threesome going forward for years to come.

Fultz would be fine if he hadn't just melted down mentally. He looked like a guy who would be able to shoot coming out of college, and if he could shoot he'd be an insanely great fit for this team. We will see on Tatum. If he can shoot at the levels of his regular season, he's going to be unreal, but I don't think that's realistic. I think he's basically a Carmelo with a better attitude, which is an awesome player. Brown is the guy who could be truly special. Regardless, I remember posting here that if they didn't build a dynasty with those net picks it was one of the worst mismanagements in the history of sports. They've at least managed to build themselves a roster that could do it, although until Golden State is broken up nobody has a path to a title.

Why does Philly look like such hot garbage in this series? Seems really confounding to me. 

ETA: Of course right after I post this Philly starts shooting lights out lol. Basketball, a fickle maiden she be

Archived