winter will not come in 2018

I have no idea. 

These comments from his blog sound interesting. Maybe possibly hopefully a small hint that a bulk of TWOW is completed, at least far enough along that editors are making this suggestion:

Jeff
April 30, 2018 at 4:17 pm
This question might be painful, but I’ll ask it anyways: has there been any thought of publishing WINDS in similar fashion as FIRE AND BLOOD: in two volumes? And if you do end up posting a new sample chapter, might I suggest the Prologue?

grrm
April 30, 2018 at 9:17 pm
Some of my publishers have suggested breaking up WINDS as we did with FEAST and DANCE. I am resisting that notion.

9 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

So, how many people think it will be a full decade until winds is released?

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/04/25/fire-blood-on-the-way/

I'm even wavering now that it will ever come out...I thought that comment by GRRM about how other authors had failed to finish their last works was pretty indicative of where things stand.  

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm even wavering now that it will ever come out...I thought that comment by GRRM about how other authors had failed to finish their last works was pretty indicative of where things stand.  

You know, I've been thinking the same. I think GRRM has abandoned the series but really can't come out and say it. I don't think GRRM has ever actually finished a series he has started. His Skin Trade was supposed to be an urban fantasy series that never got past the first book. The Hedge Knight was supposed to be a 12-book series that has since been abandoned. The 1,000-world series, which is made up of standalone novels, was supposed to conclude with a final book called Avalon, but GRRM abandoned that series in favor of ASOIAF.

Most of his works are compilations of his short stories and novellas. He starts these grand series, but never finishes them. I think he did say so once.  He probably only published Feast and Dance under pressure from publishers because the show was about to premiere, and then it premiered to great success. I know he has released "sample TWOW" chapters, but these chapters were actually supposed to be part of DWD, but the publisher cut them out because the book was getting too long. And the AWOIAF and the Fire and Blood Targ history books are really his notes for the world he was building. 

So I don't think he is ever going to finish the series. Because if he wanted to, he would already have released TWOW, or something. If the story was getting too long, he would have said so, but would have already published at least a short story. Feast was just one half of Dance. 

The big question is, can we love the books without ever seeing a conclusion?

I do not think he has given it up. But it is  simply cannot be a priority for him. In previous interviews he stated he took over a year off from writing the book to tour for Dance.  Over the years he has published whole swaths of stories and edited numerous compilations. And lets not forget how he canceled all of his con appearances for 6 months to knuckle down and write winds before the season 6 premiere. I just can't imagine this series is a priority anymore 

17 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

You know, I've been thinking the same. I think GRRM has abandoned the series but really can't come out and say it. I don't think GRRM has ever actually finished a series he has started. His Skin Trade was supposed to be an urban fantasy series that never got past the first book. The Hedge Knight was supposed to be a 12-book series that has since been abandoned. The 1,000-world series, which is made up of standalone novels, was supposed to conclude with a final book called Avalon, but GRRM abandoned that series in favor of ASOIAF.

Most of his works are compilations of his short stories and novellas. He starts these grand series, but never finishes them. I think he did say so once.  He probably only published Feast and Dance under pressure from publishers because the show was about to premiere, and then it premiered to great success. I know he has released "sample TWOW" chapters, but these chapters were actually supposed to be part of DWD, but the publisher cut them out because the book was getting too long. And the AWOIAF and the Fire and Blood Targ history books are really his notes for the world he was building. 

So I don't think he is ever going to finish the series. Because if he wanted to, he would already have released TWOW, or something. If the story was getting too long, he would have said so, but would have already published at least a short story. Feast was just one half of Dance. 

He never finished any of his grand series.  That is depressing.  We might get Winds, but we will probably never get A Dream of Spring or an ending.  Bummer.

6 minutes ago, goldenmaps said:

He never finished any of his grand series.  That is depressing.  We might get Winds, but we will probably never get A Dream of Spring or an ending.  Bummer.

Possibly, A Dream of Spring will be that... just a dream.

55 minutes ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

The 1,000 Worlds isn't a series but novels set in an imaginary universe; two very different things. 

And the D&E stories weren't "abandoned", nor were they ever novels but rather novellas. Martin has said there will be more stories, eventually. Now, I do wonder how much moaning and whinging we'd be getting if he were to announce a new D&E now.

It seems some readers want to have their cakes, eat them, and shag the baker. 

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The 1,000 Worlds isn't a series but novels set in an imaginary universe; two very different things. 

And the D&E stories weren't "abandoned", nor were they ever novels but rather novellas. Martin has said there will be more stories, eventually. Now, I do wonder how much moaning and whinging we'd be getting if he were to announce a new D&E now.

It seems some readers want to have their cakes, eat them, and shag the baker. 

He says a lot of things.  I understand if you want to take these latest comments, especially him bringing up Fitzgerald and Tolkien as having not finished their last works, in a positive light...but it takes more and more mental sleight of hand not see the writing on the proverbial wall.  

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

He says a lot of things.  I understand if you want to take these latest comments, especially him bringing up Fitzgerald and Tolkien as having not finished their last works, in a positive light...but it takes more and more mental sleight of hand not see the writing on the proverbial wall.  

But I have not said a word about any comments anywhere? 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You mentioned GRRM statement that he plans more Dunk and Egg stories as if that is something that can be relied upon.

Well, yeah. That is to say, yes I do believe him. In regards to D&E and all the rest, but you know that. There's much and more we agree on, Cas, but this is not one of those. :P

“Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.”

This is not the statement of someone who believes they are going to finish their series, in my humble opinion.

http://www.newsweek.com/grrm-will-never-finish-asoiaf-winds-winter-delay-game-thrones-dreams-spring-907706

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have no idea. 

These comments from his blog sound interesting. Maybe possibly hopefully a small hint that a bulk of TWOW is completed, at least far enough along that editors are making this suggestion:

Jeff
April 30, 2018 at 4:17 pm
This question might be painful, but I’ll ask it anyways: has there been any thought of publishing WINDS in similar fashion as FIRE AND BLOOD: in two volumes? And if you do end up posting a new sample chapter, might I suggest the Prologue?

grrm
April 30, 2018 at 9:17 pm
Some of my publishers have suggested breaking up WINDS as we did with FEAST and DANCE. I am resisting that notion.

Well.

Now, then, now then, now, now, then, now then, now then, then now...

At the beginning of the century, we waited five years for "Feast" and then six more years for "Dance". So - he's halfway there? Almost halfway there? If the situation is analogical.

(Or he doesn't have even that much, and that's why he's "resisting".)

Brutal news when I first read it.  I had really convinced myself we'd be seeing TWOW in 2018 based on the roughly 6 year window between books.  I'm definitely questioning whether we will ever see this series completed, let alone just getting TWOW which the chances seem slimmer now as well.  ASOS was 2000, AFFC was 2005, ADWD was 2011, it would have made perfect sense for TWOW to be 2018.  I guess we can only hope for 2019, which puts us on pace for TWOW about 2030:huh:

Archived