U.S. Politics: The Flood Shall Wash Away The Cobbs

Jace, Extat

@Pony Empress Jace, firstly I notice you have been promoted from Queen to Empress. Well done. :) 

Secondly, there's still room to make your signature more bigly. I have seen sigs bigger than that, believe me. You wouldn't believe how many more. I have bigger signatures, people tell me all the time.

Trump's former doctor, who revealed Trump took a medication to increase the amount of hair he had and as a result, got visited by Trump's bodyguard and a lawyer who took away Trump's medical records, apparently is about to reveal on CNN that Trump himself dictated that letter about him being the healthiest president EVAH!

One wonders if Dr. Ronny also took a little dictation from Trump as well.  :P 

eta: Dammit, Mexal, you ninja, you!

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

In news that surprises no one, Trump dictated the note that his old Doctor released. Also, his bodyguard and another large man stole his files last year which is a violation of law.

Well, your information belongs to you, you have a right to it, so they weren't 'stolen'. However, a form has to be filled out and it's not clear if the demand letter for the records had that form attached to it.

And while the information belongs to the patient, the records belong to the doctor, and they walked off with the originals, apparently because his photocopier wasn't working. The doctor has an obligation to keep records of patients he's treated, and without a copy he's in violation of governing regulations.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, your information belongs to you, you have a right to it, so they weren't 'stolen'. However, a form has to be filled out and it's not clear if the demand letter for the records had that form attached to it.

And while the information belongs to the patient, the records belong to the doctor, and they walked off with the originals, apparently because his photocopier wasn't working. The doctor has an obligation to keep records of patients he's treated, and without a copy he's in violation of governing regulations.

Al Capone was brought down by tax evasion, could Trump be brought down by gross HIPPA violations?   hee hee, now that I'd love to see    :P

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Actually, I don't think that's accurate. The information belongs to the medical practitioner. You have a right to a "copy" of that information, which requires you to sign a form and pay a fee. I do not believe you are allowed to own the original medical records.

ETA: I should read the whole thing before I type anything out as you addressed my point. The "stolen" aspect is they took the originals.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Actually, I don't think that's accurate. The information belongs to the medical practitioner. You have a right to a "copy" of that information, which requires you to sign a form and pay a fee. I do not believe you are allowed to own the original medical records.

Mexal has it right. One reason doctors have not agreed to a universally accessible database on patient health records is that doctors own the information that they keep about patients.

It may sound nefarious, but it's not. Doctors have very strict guidelines on who can access medical documents and under what conditions. This would be practically impossible if they did not own what they wrote about their patients. Patients are entirely free to ask for copies, and some doctors will give them free of charge, whereas others will not.

Doctors may use their patient records for the professional development and research. Furthermore, in the instance of disputes about a diagnosis between two different doctors - or in the case of malpractice - these documents must be readily available to independent arbiters.

It's similar to how students get a copy of their reports but teachers and schools retain control of the assessment data itself.

Trump has broken the law by stealing from his doctor. One of many instances where he has broken the law and will be shielded from prosecution by the Republicans.

I had HIPPA training not to long ago, and although it was a snore, there are layers and layers of bureaucracy about medical files, who has rights to them, how they move around, who has custody and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just sending over a couple of hoods to steal them isn't in the law, if I recall correctly. 

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

ETA: I should read the whole thing before I type anything out as you addressed my point. The "stolen" aspect is they took the originals.

2 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Mexal has it right. One reason doctors have not agreed to a universally accessible database on patient health records is that doctors own the information that they keep about patients.

It may sound nefarious, but it's not. Doctors have very strict guidelines on who can access medical documents and under what conditions. This would be practically impossible if they did not own what they wrote about their patients. Patients are entirely free to ask for copies, and some doctors will give them free of charge, whereas others will not.

Doctors may use their patient records for the professional development and research. Furthermore, in the instance of disputes about a diagnosis between two different doctors - or in the case of malpractice - these documents must be readily available to independent arbiters.

It's similar to how students get a copy of their reports but teachers and schools retain control of the assessment data itself.

Trump has broken the law by stealing from his doctor. One of many instances where he has broken the law and will be shielded from prosecution by the Republicans.

Aaaaargggghhh! Your medical information BELONGS to you and don't take any bullshit from anyone who says otherwise. The physical records belong to the doctor. This is a legal distinction!

1 minute ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

The doctor is the one who is in trouble, unless he gets a robbery charge effected.

What he should have done, of course, was to say, Thank-you for President Trump's letter of direction, is the proper form attached, I will have a copy of the file made and call you when it is ready to be picked up.

But he likely got very intimidated by Mr. Body Guard and Mr. Lawyer who told him they were not leaving without the files, I assume. And whether or not his medical board will sanction him for acting inappropriately or forgive him for having been bulldozed will be interesting to see. I think the regulations are likely mandatory, which will mean some kind of sanction against him.

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think the regulations are likely mandatory

HIPPA is the law.

edt; ones medical records may be theirs, but the law controls how they are stored, moved and other aspects about record keeping.  Just handing over a patient's medical records because you're being intimidated buy a couple of goons isn't covered by HIPPA.  The doctor was wronged by this and I'm quite confident laws could have been broken.

O_o, don't mess with Mother.

Vice President Mike Pence's physician privately raised alarms within the White House last fall that President Donald Trump's doctor may have violated federal privacy protections for a key patient -- Pence's wife, Karen -- and intimidated the vice president's doctor during angry confrontations over the episode.

The previously unreported incident is the first sign that serious concerns about Ronny Jackson's conduct had reached the highest levels of the White House as far back as September -- months before White House aides furiously defended Jackson's professionalism, insisted he had been thoroughly vetted and argued allegations of misconduct amounted to unsubstantiated rumors.
The episode -- detailed in three memos by Pence's physician -- is also the first documentation that has surfaced involving a specific allegation of medical misconduct by Jackson. It adds to a series of significant allegations leveled by unidentified current and former colleagues, including that he casually dispensed prescription drugs.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/politics/karen-pence-doctor-privacy-ronny-jackson/index.html

The next time Trump rants about Dr. Ronny, somebody should get up and say, let (Congress) (the Senate) (the AMA) send someone over with a weigh scale and check Trump's weight. If it corresponds to what the good doctor said it was, Trump can rant. If it doesn't, he needs to stfu.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

I had HIPPA training not to long ago, and although it was a snore, there are layers and layers of bureaucracy about medical files, who has rights to them, how they move around, who has custody and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just sending over a couple of hoods to steal them isn't in the law, if I recall correctly. 

The thing is, at the time, Schiller was the Director of Oval Office Operations. A government employee raided a doctor's office and took sensitive medical records.

That's not to say his government title makes what he did legal -- I think it makes things a lot more complicated, at least if there were people actually interested in enforcing laws in Washington.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The thing is, at the time, Schiller was the Director of Oval Office Operations. A government employee raided a doctor's office and took sensitive medical records.

That's not to say his government title makes what he did legal -- I think it makes things a lot more complicated, at least if there were people actually interested in enforcing laws in Washington.

I don't understand. What do you mean it's more complicated?

Archived