U.S. Politics: The Flood Shall Wash Away The Cobbs

Jace, Extat

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Naw, Guiliani has actually started! Way past Scaramucci already!

In the meantime, in what I as a lawyer consider a shocking development, Manafort was in court today asking for a charge to be dismissed because the Mueller team was overreaching their mandate, and the federal judge commented to to the prosecutor’s team, ‘you’re not really interested in Manafort, are you, you’re doing this to get at the president and impeach him’.

I’m shocked a judge would say that. I want to see the exact wording.

Alan Dershowitz has found his soulmate.

I just saw someone on MSNBC saying that this judge is known to be harder on the side he thinks has a stronger argument as a way of making sure they are on their game. The idea that Mueller is overreaching is popular among Trump loyalists and they should be able to refute that claim.

8 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

You need to read the 'Turner Diaries,' a underground novel/bible for the white supremacist movement.  It chronicles a racist civil war.  Towards the end the protagonists (racists) realize that they do not have and cannot hope to get the majority support of the white race in the US. So, the selfless hero leads a suicidal mission to drop a nuke on the stronghold of their opponents.  The Russians (allies of the racists) chip in with more nukes.

A similar theme is apparent in the infamous internet 'time travel hoax' from a couple decades ago: the fake time traveler, very strong on libertarianism and racism to a lesser extent, claims to hail from a future in which Russians allied with true patriots like himself to drop nukes on enemy strongholds (urban centers).

I remember that book. Recently heard it brough up in that Oklohama City Bombing documentary that is on netflix. They mentioned in that book the character bombs a federal building with a truck bomb, like McVeigh would eventually do in OKC. Completely forgot how they talked about using a nuke, and eventually did, in it. 

That book influenced a lot of violent bigots. 

The Order, neo nazi group that killed that talk radio host Alan Berg, which inspired that Oliver Stone Talk Radio movie with Eric Bogosian. They also committed armed robberies and had counterfeiting operations going on. They netted 3.6 million in one of their ammored car robberies.
One of their leaders, Robert Jay Mathews, wound up getting killed in a shootout with feds.

That book also inspired John William King, who killed a black man named James Byrd by dragging him to death in Jasper, Texas in 1998.

The book was also found to be in the possesion of Jacob D. Robida along with other nazi propaganda. He attacked 3 gay people in New Bedford mass in 2006, then kidnapped a woman when he fled the state. Shot and killed her then killed himself. 

David Copeland, who was responsible for the 1999 nail bombings in London, quoted the book when interviewed by police. 

3 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Thanks for posting these stories, I work with at risk youth and we are not prepared for this in the slightest.  

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Wow, fascinating, thanks for the links.

Can't help pointing that out:

One of their members also killed 19 year old jewish gay man Blaze Bernstein. 

This article goes into some detail about them, and quotes their discord chat logs. It's disgusting.

https://www.propublica.org/article/atomwaffen-division-inside-white-hate-group

40 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I just saw someone on MSNBC saying that this judge is known to be harder on the side he thinks has a stronger argument as a way of making sure they are on their game. The idea that Mueller is overreaching is popular among Trump loyalists and they should be able to refute that claim.

I think all you would have to say is, “We found low level staffers  were engaging in illegal activities, so we concluded that we needed to investigate staffers at higher levels to determine where the inspiration to collude with Russia possibly occurred, if it exists at all. It’s in our mandate to investigate the Trump orbit to determine what illegal activates occurred during the campaign, transition period and the current Administration. We will go as high up as we feel the evidence takes us and not an inch further. If that leads to the President then we will have to investigate him and if it does not there will be no need to investigate him.”  

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, Trump just took back what Guiliani said yesterday and threw him under the bus.

eta: and Giuliani will be issuing a press release later today! Guiliani just started yesterday, ya know.

The odd part is, according to two articles I read from CNN and NBC, nobody in the WH knew Rudy was going to say that Trump did reimburse Cohen, and that Trump and Rudy spoke shortly before the interview was going to happen. Given that, it’s hard not to speculate that Trump Knew Rudy was going to do that. Rudy volunteered the information unprompted by Hannity, so it would seem that it was a pre-planned move. Or maybe Rudy is really that big of an idiot. Or both. Either way, Trump’s response today was likely motivated by the press blow back from the interview.

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think all you would have to say is, “We found low level staffers  were engaging in illegal activities, so we concluded that we needed to investigate staffers at higher levels to determine where the inspiration to collude with Russia possibly occurred, if it exists at all. It’s in our mandate to investigate the Trump orbit to determine what illegal activates occurred during the campaign, transition period and the current Administration. We will go as high up as we feel the evidence takes us and not an inch further. If that leads to the President then we will have to investigate him and if it does not there will be no need to investigate him.”  

Yeah, it sounds like the generous interpretation of the judge’s comments don’t fly because others were shocked by his tone. He was parroting Republican talking points because he believes them.

On this day, May 4th, in 1970, 4 people were murdered by the Ohio National Guard at Kent State University during anti war protests. 9 others were wounded. 

Victims of the Kent State Shootings:

Killed:

Jeffrey Glenn Miller: age 20 shot through the mouth, killed instantly.

Allison B. Krause: age 19 fatal left chest wound, died later that day.

William Knox Schroeder: age 19 fatal chest wound, died almost an hour later in a local hospital while. undergoing surgery

Sandra Lee Scheuer: age 20 fatal neck wound, died a few minutes later from loss of blood.

Wounded:

Joseph Lewis, Jr.

John R. Cleary

Thomas Mark Grace

Alan Michael Canfora

Dean R. Kahler (permanently paralyzed from the chest down)

Douglas Alan Wrentmore

James Dennis Russell

Robert Follis Stamps

Donald Scott MacKenzie

The National Guard fired approximately 67 rounds over a period of 13 seconds.

The shootings led to protests on college campuses throughout the country. A student striked caused more than 450 campuses across the country to close with both violent and non-violent protests.

On May 8, 11 people were bayonetted at the University of New Mexico by the New Mexico National Guard in a confrontation with student protesters.

Also on May 8th in NYC, the Hard Hat Riots occured, where around 200 construction workers that were moblized by the New York State AFL-CIO, attacked close to 1,000 college and high school students as well as others who were protesting the Kent State shootings, the Vietnam War, and the announcement by President Richard Nixon of the U.S. invasion of Cambodia.

On May 9th, 100,000 people demonstrated in Washington, D.C. in protest against the war and the killing of student protesters. Ray Price, Nixon's chief speechwriter from 69-74, commented on the protest saying, "The city was an armed camp. The mobs were smashing windows, slashing tires, dragging parked cars into intersections, even throwing bedsprings off overpasses into the traffic down below. This was the quote, student protest. That's not student protest, that's civil war."

On May 14, two students were killed and 12 wounded, by police at Jackson State University in a similair scenario. Unfortunately, the Jackson State killings did not get the same nationwide attention as the Kent State shootings.

A Gallup Poll was taken immediately after the shootings. The results showed that 58% blamed the students, 11% blamed the National Guard and 31% had no opinion.

22 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And Neil Young wrote a helluva a good song. As a shocked Canadian.

I was going to hit you with a “FAKE NEWS!, He was born in Brooklyn!”, and then I realized my fingers, like yours, can have a mind of their own. I Googled Neil Diamond.

:bawl::lmao:

I didn't want to get caught Russian to Judgement on this Federal Judge denigrating the Special Counsel's team for going after a known money launderer and strongman puppeteer.

All in the name of the people.

How low can unemployment go? Economists keep getting the answer wrong.
The April jobs report adds to the debate about whether a “natural” rate of unemployment exists.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/5/4/17320188/jobs-report-natural-rate-unemployment-inflation-economics-april

But even as it became conventional wisdom, the supposed relationship between unemployment and increasing or decreasing rates of inflation was breaking down — notably in the 1990s. Unemployment got below 4 percent in 2000 without inflation taking off. Since the onset of Great Recession, the gap between theory and reality has only grown.

As unemployment rose, as the recession kicked in, the natural-rate theory would predict inflation to collapse, possibly to the point of deflation. Then during the slow recovery, we’d also expect inflation to pick up again. Yet neither happened; today, inflation appears to be well anchored at just below 2 percent. Economist Christian Friedrich, of the Bank of Canada, describes these two events as the “twin puzzles” of inflation in the Great Recession.

The Inevitable Clash Between Seattle and Amazon Has Begun

https://slate.com/business/2018/05/seattle-amazon-fight-over-taxes-and-affordable-housing.html

Amazon’s prickliness is ironic. The company has dangled the prospect of its HQ2 in a grotesque contest to see which city will do the most for the e-commerce giant, maintaining (at least publicly) that it could plant itself in any one of 20 North American cities. And right as Amazon is asking American cities for more, more, more to secure an influx of 50,000 Amazonians, Seattle has asked the company to take greater responsibility for the city’s social ills. The company’s unparalleled groundedness should give Seattle pols the confidence to go on the offensive.

New Giuliani Statement About Previous Giuliani Statements Is Wishful Gibberish

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/05/new-rudy-giuliani-statement-on-stormy-daniels-reimbursement-is-gibberish.html

What Giuliani seems to be claiming—although it’s hard to tell, given the “translation of an abstruse 19th-century work of German philosophy” vibe his wording gives off—is that Trump having reimbursed the payment doesn’t count as Trump having “knowledge” of the payment. The idea seems to be that Rudy knows that certain payments from Trump to Cohen constituted Daniels reimbursement, but that Trump doesn’t know that, or at least didn’t when he said publicly that he knew nothing about the matter.

Giuliani’s statement does not, however, disavow the premise that he seems to have been working with when he launched his media tour on Wednesday: that the payment to Daniels can ultimately be traced to Trump’s personal funds, and as such could not have constituted an illegal undeclared campaign expense. One of Giuliani’s other problems, though, is that this isn’t true—what makes it a campaign expense is whether it was made for a campaign-related purpose, not which bank account it came out of—and on Thursday he said on Fox News that Cohen had to pay Daniels because her affair allegations would have been damaging if they, for instance, “came out on Oct. 15, 2016, in the middle of the last debate with Hillary Clinton.” On that front, the new Giuliani statement essentially asks for a do-over, asserting that “the payment was made in order to resolve a personal and false allegation in order to protect the President’s family” and “would have been done in any event, whether he was a candidate or not.”

5 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

On this day, May 4th, in 1970, 4 people were murdered by the Ohio National Guard at Kent State University during anti war

Thank you for posting this, didn't know of violence beyond Kent State. 

10 hours ago, LongRider said:

Thank you for posting this, didn't know of violence beyond Kent State. 

Another fact is that the students that were shot and killed were not even taking part in the protest but were bystanders. I was 13 years old that day and I have never forgotten what happened. 

47 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Another fact is that the students that were shot and killed were not even taking part in the protest but were bystanders. I was 13 years old that day and I have never forgotten what happened. 

It was 2 protesters and 2 bystanders.

Archived