U.S. Politics: The Flood Shall Wash Away The Cobbs

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It was the jargon, which as I don't speak that brand of jargon, was without meaning, alas.

I skimmed the paper this morning and I haven't given it a full thorough read.

But, the key points are:

1. An average summer temperature increase decreases GDP growth.

2. Higher temperatures lower growth in the summer, but raise it in the fall. However, the lower growth during the summer months seem to have a much larger effect than positive growth in the fall.

3. The negative growth effects because of higher temperatures seem to be even stronger in regions that already have higher mean temperatures ie southern states.

4. Over the next century, the negative growth effects are likely to be extremely significant. The authors estimate about 1/3.

47 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nunes also said this morning he is going to push to hold Sessions in contempt because they refuse to provide highly confidential files of an active criminal and counterintelligence investigation to Congress.

Nunes is really scum and needs to be put behind bars.

My favourite thing Trump has said lately was in his rally that he went to instead of the Correspondent's Dinner.

"If crooked Hillary had come in, we'd have a negative GDP."

He genuinely doesn't know what GDP means. :P

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

"If crooked Hillary had come in, we'd have a negative GDP."

He genuinely doesn't know what GDP means.

It doesn't matter, I'm sure the crowd cheered, after all, he mentioned "Crooked Hillary" and that's what matters.  

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Nunes also said this morning he is going to push to hold Sessions in contempt because they refuse to provide highly confidential files of an active criminal and counterintelligence investigation to Congress.

Pretty sure he has no authority to make that happen, I could be wrong though. 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:05 AM, Sword of Doom said:

Oh great, a neo nazi terrorist organization that wouldn't rule out using nuclear weapons to over throw the US government to enact their genocidal apocalyptic ideology, has members actively serving in the US military and turning into professional killers through the training they recieve. Obviously not the first time white nationalists and supremacists have served in the military, but can't remember others actively saying they would be wiling to use nuclear weapons to achieve the fourth reich.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/notorious-atomwaffen-neo-nazi-group-infiltrated-active-duty-military/

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/all-american-nazis-fascist-youth-united-states-w519651

http://www.newsweek.com/teen-neo-nazi-group-weapons-illinois-908691

this is happening all the time, all over the place (eta: referring to nazis with disgusting amounts of weapons, not “infiltrating” the military)

1 hour ago, IamMe90 said:

Lots of executive branch powers seem to be vague and governed as much by convention and assumptions of common decency. Given Trump and his cronies are devoid of these qualities, I think they'll more or less do what they like.

To say nothing of the fact that any legal challenges to them take a long time. What they're doing at the moment is a good strategy for demagogues: break so many laws, conventions and norms at the same time that it's impossible to respond to all of them at once. The majority of what you want will still happen.

1 hour ago, IamMe90 said:

He can try to get the committee to cite him for contempt, which is actually a fairly common course of action if an executive branch member is refusing to comply with a subpoena.  Not sure where in the hell Sessions is doing that, though.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Chomsky describing Trump as the distraction, while his cabinet and others go about the very real business of dismantling every apparatus of Government that in anyway benefits the "non 2%". 

Pretty stupid take. Trump is also the problem in a huge way and it's not just about fucking over the not-super-rich.

As the ‘King of Debt,’ Trump borrowed to build his empire. Then he began spending hundreds of millions in cash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-the-king-of-debt-trump-borrowed-to-build-his-empire-then-he-began-spending-hundreds-of-millions-in-cash/2018/05/05/28fe54b4-44c4-11e8-8569-26fda6b404c7_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8fa6824bd436

In the nine years before he ran for president, Donald Trump’s company spent more than $400 million in cash on new properties — including 14 transactions paid for in full, without borrowing from banks — during a buying binge that defied real estate industry practices and Trump’s own history as the self-described “King of Debt.”

Trump’s vast outlay of cash, tracked through public records and totaled publicly here for the first time, provides a new window into the president’s private company, which discloses few details about its finances.

15 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, well, well. Laundering Russian money?

*Follow the money, whispered the man in the shadow.*

Speaking of laundering Russian money, reporters have been busy doing all kinds of the hard slogging work that is the hallmark of investigative reporting. 

Good report on CNN.

Research into real estate records shows in the last couple of years Cohen sold 4 high rise buildings in New York that he owned, on paper anyway, for a profit of $32 M.

That doesn’t sound like a guy who needs to put a line of credit on his house to pay $130,000 to Stormy Daniels.

*Follow the money*

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Speaking of laundering Russian money, reporters have been busy doing all kinds of the hard slogging work that is the hallmark of investigative reporting. 

Good report on CNN.

Research into real estate records shows in the last couple of years Cohen sold 4 high rise buildings in New York that he owned, on paper anyway, for a profit of $32 M.

That doesn’t sound like a guy who needs to put a line of credit on his house to pay $130,000 to Stormy Daniels.

*Follow the money*

Speaking of Cohen and Stormy, how would Cohen even know who Stormy is without Trump telling him about her. Given that everyone knows Cohen to be Trump’s fixer, there’s only one reason he’d tell him about her. Sometimes the simplest questions unravel the mystery.   

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of Cohen and Stormy, how would Cohen even know who Stormy is without Trump telling him about her. Given that everyone knows Cohen to be Trump’s fixer, there’s only one reason he’d tell him about her. Sometimes the simplest questions unravel the mystery.   

I think there was a suggestion hinted in the stories about Stormy and the Playboy model that their lawyer (they had the same one) funneled them to The Fixer. Because sooooo many random women make false claims, like the crazies who fall in love with movie stars.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, well, well. Laundering Russian money?

*Follow the money, whispered the man in the shadow.*

It could be as simple as Trump burying cash. You have a rich person, with tons of debt and bankruptcy problems. And of course it's easier than ever to hide money offshore.

9 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

It could be as simple as Trump burying cash. You have a rich person, with tons of debt and bankruptcy problems. And of course it's easier than ever to hide money offshore.

I go for laundering Russian money. The spending spree started just before the financial crash, when Trump flipped that notorious Florida mansion, and through 2015. The years between 2007 and 2012 or 13 were  pretty grim business-wise. People didn’t travel as much, book hotels as much, spend on golf as much. Where was this incredible cash flow coming from? I call bs.

20 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think there was a suggestion hinted in the stories about Stormy and the Playboy model that their lawyer (they had the same one) funneled them to The Fixer. Because sooooo many random women make false claims, like the crazies who fall in love with movie stars.

Even if it did play out like that, it’s highly unlikely that Cohen and Trump didn’t discuss Trump’s relationship with Stormy. Cohen would have wanted to know if he should offer her hush money and a NDA or threaten her with a defamation suit if Trump said she’s lying. And considering Loose Lips Rudy implied there could be more hush money cases, I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that Trump told Cohen about a few people who needed to be silenced before the election took place.

Archived