U.S. Politics: The Flood Shall Wash Away The Cobbs

Jace, Extat

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Yup.  Bush was really terrible - and the rest of the world did lose respect for the US because of it.  This was a common sentiment amongst my college friends from overseas.  My freshman  year of school was 2001, Especially those from the Middle East, but also with South American and Euro students and professors.  

I remember a few American friends who were studying in London joked about trying to pass as Canadians.  

Now, Trump certainly has the likely potential to go far beyond the damage W did, but he hasn't had an Iraq yet.  Or a Patriot Act.  

And yet Trump has already shit on the US's reputation more then GWB without it. Trump as the representative of the US is just unbelievably toxic. He's a fucking joke. He is, as DG said, the next devolution of the Republican party. GWB stripped of any good qualities or understanding and respect for the power he wields or the rule of law. He's like Nixon if Nixon was a narcissistic moron.

Anyone else get the horrible sinking feeling that Trump wants a war in Iran to draw attention away from his 10,000 scandals?

Once in a war, everyone tends to rally to the flag.

Other steps in the devolution of the Republican Party during the Bush the Lesser years: the constant implication that the opposition party are traitors or terrorist sympathizers simply for disagreeing with the President's policies, and the war on objective facts (I remember the story of the Bush official dismissing the "reality based community"). 

11 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Anyone else get the horrible sinking feeling that Trump wants a war in Iran to draw attention away from his 10,000 scandals?

I don't think that really works. It's not the way Trump thinks and it doesn't match what's been going on imo.

Trump wants to kill the Iran Deal because he hates Obama and everything he's done. The war-lusters want a war with Iran because they don't like Iran. The two meet in the middle.

13 minutes ago, Yukle said:

No I feel like a free North Korea ought to draw some attention.  Until CNN decides upon a new angle.

McCain urges Senate to reject Haspel for CIA

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/09/mccain-haspel-senate-cia-579882

“I believe Gina Haspel is a patriot who loves our country and has devoted her professional life to its service and defense,” he said in a statement. “However, Ms. Haspel’s role in overseeing the use of torture by Americans is disturbing. Her refusal to acknowledge torture’s immorality is disqualifying.”

Archived